85 Cj 7 stalls

madstiles

My buddy recently got a 85 cj7 with the in line 6. He's done a ton of work but is having an issue. The motor runs great until he puts the air cleaner on then it dies instantly. He has rebuilt the carb already. And I assume adjusted it. What could be causing this? Thanks for the help [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

T_rav

The only thing that can be going on is the air filter is either starving it for air or the carb is jetted so rich that when the air filter is put on it floods out. Start with the basics and keep us posted

farrier

the to rich issue is what mine has going at the moment with the air cleaner on, it goes to almost full choke to rich

cashin

Check the venturies for fuel drips while engine is at idle. Remove and clean venturies if there is fuel dripping.There are very small tubes that will need to be cleaned,try a thin wire and carb cleaner. Then blow out with compressed air. Be carefully not to dislodge the small ball bearing under the venturies.

Sent from my LG-P769 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

My buddy recently got a 85 cj7 with the in line 6. He's done a ton of work but is having an issue. The motor runs great until he puts the air cleaner on then it dies instantly. He has rebuilt the carb already. And I assume adjusted it. What could be causing this? Thanks for the help [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app
The cj7 I recently sold used to die everytime you stopped. I changed the carb in it with a Howells throttle body injection system. Never had an issue after that

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

I've been looking at those kits quite a bit lately. What did you do for an air filter?
I used the k&n filter the recommended. And once you get it dialed in right I can assure you that you will be so very happy with it. I loved how it worked on mine. Just make sure if you have to worry about emissions to get the one that will work for that. I had two all my emissions components because the previous owner had pretty much discarded all of it. Wasn't a big deal except for the vapor canister. They don't make the one for the cj any longer. Had to get one for a grand Cherokee forget the year model it was for. Had to drill the larger port in it to attach the hose too. Let me know if you get it and if you have any questions. The install is pretty easy and straight forward and the directions are very easy to read and understand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've installed and run a Howell TBI on the old CJ7 I used to have and will have to agree that it worked great. I absolutely loved it and would definitely recommend it if you live in an area that doesn't have strict smog laws. While I was able to get my 258 to run as clean if not better than a new Jeep, I struggled to get it to pass CA visual inspection and that was a big part of why I ended up selling it.

Draconianwinter

I've installed and run a Howell TBI on the old CJ7 I used to have and will have to agree that it worked great. I absolutely loved it and would definitely recommend it if you live in an area that doesn't have strict smog laws. While I was able to get my 258 to run as clean if not better than a new Jeep, I struggled to get it to pass CA visual inspection and that was a big part of why I ended up selling it.
That is sad. You can pass a emission but if they don't like how it looked you can still fail? Wow, but hey its for your safety and protection of the environment lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is sad. You can pass a emission but if they don't like how it looked you can still fail? Wow, but hey its for your safety and protection of the environment lol

Yup, that's about it. Honestly, I couldn't get out of Kalifornia fast enough. Up in Carson City, we don't have ANY smog laws or emission checks. Had we been living here sooner, I'd still have my CJ7.

bigcale

Caught the Bug

CA sucks for stuff like that. On my old CJ7 we pulled a 4.0 head, intake and ecu off an XJ and put it on the top of my 258. Basically the same thing Mopar offered for a full bolt on injection system but add the newer style head to it and it cost 1/3 as much. Ran great, got way more power than the carb and never even reprogrammed the computer for the .2 extra liters.

Draconianwinter

Yup, that's about it. Honestly, I couldn't get out of Kalifornia fast enough. Up in Carson City, we don't have ANY smog laws or emission checks. Had we been living here sooner, I'd still have my CJ7.
Mhmm. I don't see how anyone likes living there personally. Now granted my views tend to be based on the fact I drive a truck, and while yes there are some beautiful places there is just don't get it. I have lived in a lot of places like Colorado, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. No matter where I have lived in always come back to Tennessee specifically chattanooga. It's the only place that feels like home to me. I would still have my cj but again space was my issue.

Last edited:

T_rav

Luckily I don't have to deal with emissions here. I want that mopar kit for the extra power but it sure costs a lot. Probably end up going with the Howell. Thanks for the info guys

Top Bottom