Dry Start

Jay_r24

I have been getting dry starts a couple times a week in the mornings. I tried a couple different filters but nothing has changed. Should I use a higher oil viscosity? Anyone have or had this issue? I am using 5w20

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a very fast and a little bit loud ticking sound. It's just lifters pumping up after the start. If you have good quality oil everything has a good coat and you're OK.

jeeeep

Hooked
what oil filter are you using?

dry start is not normal, don't have it on my 2015 and it will sit for several days.

my 2010 did is when I used aftermarket oil filter - the back-flow valves vary form filter to filter, I'm using mopar filters and no issues now.

10abadilla/jk

what oil filter are you using?

dry start is not normal, don't have it on my 2015 and it will sit for several days.

my 2010 did is when I used aftermarket oil filter - the back-flow valves vary form filter to filter, I'm using mopar filters and no issues now.
I have lifter noise for a split second upon start. Dry start probably. I use wix. But I probably should start using mopar. Out here I hear quite a few jeeps sound like that upon starting.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

This is likely what it is. ^

Should I use a higher oil viscosity? Anyone have or had this issue? I am using 5w20

While higher oil viscosity can help make up for excessive clearances between my metal parts, it also takes a longer amount of time to go from the bottom of the engine to the top because it's thicker. This results in quicker wear to upper end parts and isn't the proper solution. Best to stick with manufacturer recommended oil weight.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
While all of this may be common and claimed to be normal, i would argue that is another example of poor engineering that is common in today's engines.

There are reasons why excessive oil consumption is considered normal on basically all modern engines after they have some miles on them.

While all of this may be common and claimed to be normal, i would argue that is another example of poor engineering that is common in today's engines.

There are reasons why excessive oil consumption is considered normal on basically all modern engines after they have some miles on them.

Absolutely agree. The Pentastar is a shit engine. I could care less what anyone online or what a dealership might say. It is not normal and is detrimental to the engine. It's just anyone's guess how long it will take. The Pentastar is so new and hasn't proven itself yet.

Top Bottom