Arduino Based Switch Panel?

SoupierPuppy

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I decide I wanted to build myself a switch panel. Its started off in sort of a prototype form and hasn't progressed in the last few months. Recently I had the idea of building an arduino based switch board that might help clean up a lot of the wiring. I was inspired by the "Jeeputer." Definitely don't need something as fancy or as complicated. Has anyone had experience with this at all? I would like to get some info on where a good starting place might be and what things I will want to avoid. Thanks!

Frydaddy

I like this idea, 'subbed!

With an arduino (ore even a Raspberry PI) the possibilities are endless! You could expand it to do anything your heart desires. More switches, temperature monitoring, wireless-all-the-things! A personal communication bus (like I2C) would be awesome to integrate modules from all over the jeep! Heck, you could listen in on the Jeeps CAN bus as well!

Obviously i've wanted to do this for a long time, but project scope-creep quickly overwhelms me. Start simple, A couple switches, a relay module, a good foundation, and more will follow.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I decide I wanted to build myself a switch panel. Its started off in sort of a prototype form and hasn't progressed in the last few months. Recently I had the idea of building an arduino based switch board that might help clean up a lot of the wiring. I was inspired by the "Jeeputer." Definitely don't need something as fancy or as complicated. Has anyone had experience with this at all? I would like to get some info on where a good starting place might be and what things I will want to avoid. Thanks!
I'm interested to see what you have been working on but my understanding of the arduino is thay you will have a 5v power cap. If you are thinking to use the arduino to throw relays that's one thing, but you will still need a set of inputs with different switches, at that point, IMO the arduino is just an additional part to fail being between the switches and the relays. But I haven't looked much into it, I'm just going off the top of my head here. Show us what you got... :thumb:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'm definitely interested as well. I've thought about doing something similar but electronics really isn't my thing and I've already got too many projects

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SoupierPuppy

Currently my idea is that I use the arduino to send triggers for relays. Right now my relay box is sitting on top of the battery in the engine compartment. I've got 8 switches and that just means there is a mess of wire going in and out of my firewall that I would like to clean up. Maybe make a slider or potentiometer that turns on different light sets as the knob gets turned. I had seen a video where a guy set his arduino to be his push to start button, garage door opener, cb radio setup, etc. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be too awful to get around that 5v power cap from out of the arduino by running a power line or two to common power necessary areas and building a box or something with xt60 connectors to make everything swappable. This week I'll draw up a diagram and see if anyone has thoughts comments or concerns.

Sent from my VS986 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Currently my idea is that I use the arduino to send triggers for relays. Right now my relay box is sitting on top of the battery in the engine compartment. I've got 8 switches and that just means there is a mess of wire going in and out of my firewall that I would like to clean up. Maybe make a slider or potentiometer that turns on different light sets as the knob gets turned. I had seen a video where a guy set his arduino to be his push to start button, garage door opener, cb radio setup, etc. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be too awful to get around that 5v power cap from out of the arduino by running a power line or two to common power necessary areas and building a box or something with xt60 connectors to make everything swappable. This week I'll draw up a diagram and see if anyone has thoughts comments or concerns.

Ive got a few thoughts on this.
The mess of wires going from the switches to the relay board could be combined with a multi conductor cable. The current draw on the switches should be minuscule enough that a cable using some 20 gauge conductors, would be fine. I used some 4/20 (4 wires 20 gauge) to get the signals into the tiny switch module in the center console. Continuing with arduino, I recommend sticking with 5v power for the switches and indications, saving the relays for all the switching loads.

For now, you can get a relay "Shield" that sits right on top of the arduino, but when you're ready to expand, you may want to look into communication buses, like I2C. This will save you from running out of signal pins. In fact with a comm bus, you could mount the arduino safely behind the console, have a remote comm module with your switches, another module with your relays under the hood, and another in the back (just because). All of these can now connect with four small gauge wires and a 12v line, Much cleaner.

Frydaddy

This is only what is currently in my rig, The extended forecast is looking busy.

You can see there is plenty of room for expansion. The rear overhead lights will pick up the reverse signal, the trail lights will kick on with the door signal, and there's a spare switch and relay waiting to be used. I still need to bypass the purple wire in the center console, and add a fuse box in the rear for an onboard air system and a water pump. They will be plumbed with accumulators and fittings front and rear. My pipedreams include Anderson plugs front and rear too. That will connect to the winch, jump cables, and a removable dual battery that doubles as a jump box.

jeep parts.xlsx.jpg

SoupierPuppy

That's a fantastic set up. I'll have to study up and see if I can make it work. I was thinking something significantly more basic but I really like the opportunities that presents. Any particular parts you recommend?

SDG

Caught the Bug
If you know how to program you can do it with a $4 PIC microcontroller and a breakout board, could use a beagle bone with integrated touch screen, could use any number of things. If you dont know how to program any of these are substantial projects as even if you find a drop in routine, it will have to be duplicated for each switch etc. I guess the question is what is your current skill level?

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

SoupierPuppy

I realize I didn't mention this but I've done 4 years at college for computer sciences and am currently a front end and back end web developer. Coding in any of the more popular languages doesn't bother me and anything I don't know I can learn/Google. I've done a few arduino projects here and there so I'm familiar with setting one up.

I've never heard of a beagle bone but a touch screen sounds fancy. Might spice up the look of the Jeep and keep things clean.

I'll be busy this weekend doing a lot of research on all of these parts. Thanks for the input guys!

Frydaddy

That's a fantastic set up. I'll have to study up and see if I can make it work. I was thinking something significantly more basic but I really like the opportunities that presents. Any particular parts you recommend?

Certainly doing a manual wiring job can get complicated real quick. If I were to use a microcontroller, I would definitely put the relay modules closer to the loads. That would reduce the massive bundles of wiring heading everywhere.

SDG, I like the PIC idea. I lack the patience to develop a circuit board for a nice setup. In the mean time Ive been using the cookie-cutter arduino Uno.

Soupy Puppy, The Mega will give you more pins to play with if you wish to avoid communication buses, but that will put you in the same issue with bundles of wires.

Oh, touch screens are a dream! A complicated but rewarding dream. Superchips has a model that lets you trigger four accessories, but its super expensive.

Here is the one-line (hah!) version of my setup showing where the bundles go. Current layout on the right, planned features on the left.

jeep parts.xlsx (1).jpg

Top Bottom