Building Apocalypse

Jkjeeper57

So a little back store before I kick things off. I have always had a fascination with jeeps and built-up trucks, but in 11’ I test drove a 06’ Rubicon unlimited and was hooked after discussing it with the wife the following weekend returned to the dealership to buy it to find out to my dismay it had been sold. Fast-forward to 13’ opportunity struck again this time in the form of a 2014 Anvil JKUR. After about what felt like a lifetime at the waiting at the dealership we headed home with a whopping 23 miles on the odometer. This was the first vehicle I had owned brand new and planned on keeping it for a very long time. jeep day 1.jpg my jeep.jpg So being the jeep noob I was at time Anvil was a new color option on all models then and the only one they had in that color was a Rubicon luck would have it. Well I didn't check the window sticker upon purchase and didn't learn unit later on after joining a different forum I didn't have the 4.10 ratio I thought but 3.73:naw:. So after a month of driving it I was addicted and one thing was for certain I had to go bigger. After a year of saving it was finally time so in mid August 2014 I headed to 4 wheel parts to get what I thought at the time was a good deal. To be clear not ragging on them just I didn't do enough research and hadn't been introduced to the glories of WAL yet. After all was said and done walked away with a 2.5" Rubicon express mono tube budget lift, front and rear Body Armor 4x4 bumpers complete with a shittybuilt 9.5k winch. I decided at the time not to get wheels and tire due to the fact that I would be moving to Germany the first of the new year and couldn't risk not passing the vehicle inspection. new face.jpg freshly built.jpg . After waiting four months for our jeep to arrive in Germany its was finally time to register, well the first time it failed for no long plate mount, second time was for the "bumper not covering the tire and if I where to hit a pedestrian id with kill them". Well the third time I passed after purchasing a used stock bumper and drilling through the grill to mount a long plate. germany jeep.jpg . So the build got put on hold for a while. Finally after moving back to the USA was time to "finish" first off was tires, the stock km's were shot so started to shop ended up getting new rims also so made it better. Running Method Racing the standard 17x9 wrapped in 315/70r17 Cooper discoverer STT Pro. doorless.jpg . Stared my boys out young teaching them boys and jeeps.jpg . So coming to August of this year trying to made a more family conscious choice we decided to trade in our beloved wrangler for a 2016 Cherokee. fatefull day.jpg Well after driving the Cherokee for a week I hated it and regretted trading in. Which brings us current after one month of ownership couldn't do it anymore had to get a wrangler so off to dealership again, they had one 2016 Wrangler JKUR left in inventory so knew what we wanted. After many hours at dealership paper work was done but the jeep was in Denver having just arrived from Toledo a couple of days prior. After waiting the weekend it arrived and was finally able to pick it up this past Monday afternoon. Here's the new fresh off the truck ignore the stupid grin new jeep rino.jpg . Only thing that's been done so far is add floor mats otherwise shes bone stock

So this time around it will be a slow build and now that I have discovered WAL I can learn from my mistakes from my last jeep and get some very valuable input from more experienced jeepers. The plan is currents to build plans are 4" evo long arm kit and run 37s. If have any suggestions would love to hear them as this is my first major build and could use all the pointers possible.

Ddays

Hooked
Nice story & nice Jeep! I started the same as you did except at 4WD. At this point I don't have one thing left on my jeep that was done there. If I was starting over like you are I'd make myself a spread sheet and start plugging in what you want. This site has an amazing amount of information on it. The videos got me here but the people & info kept me. Looking forward to your build!

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the new Jeep. Ddays makes a good point with the spreadsheet to track options and pricing.....and I think we all have the "grin"

Jkjeeper57

Nice story & nice Jeep! I started the same as you did except at 4WD. At this point I don't have one thing left on my jeep that was done there. If I was starting over like you are I'd make myself a spread sheet and start plugging in what you want. This site has an amazing amount of information on it. The videos got me here but the people & info kept me. Looking forward to your build!
I never thought about using a spreadsheet, it sucks that have to rebuild but get to do it right the first time

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eugene

That's what I've been doing. I know what I've purchased and what I still want, and it's organized by category. I show the cost by item, including sales tax and any installation charge, and the vendor associated with that item. Several times, I've learned something new and gone back to update the spreadsheet to reflect my new perspective.

Ddays

Hooked
I never thought about using a spreadsheet, it sucks that have to rebuild but get to do it right the first time

Just makes it a lot easier to keep track of what you want, where you saw it, etch, etc. . If you're like me you see something and gotta have it, then see something else that might be a little better and after a while you can't keep track of all this shit!

The nice thing about re-doing your Jeep is now you can learn from what you did previously. Not that what you did previously was wrong, just now you probably have a different perspective on your build.

That's what I've been doing. I know what I've purchased and what I still want, and it's organized by category. I show the cost by item, including sales tax and any installation charge, and the vendor associated with that item. Several times, I've learned something new and gone back to update the spreadsheet to reflect my new perspective.

That's exactly what I did - It really helped keep me on track. There is sooooo much info out there it can be overwhelming. I've even got binders with sheet protectors that I fill with printed off informational threads, instructions, specs, etc., in my garage so I can look something up quick too. I don't remember shit anymore it seems so I have to write it down or look it up...:grayno:

5280Sapper

you in the springs I'm assuming? let me know if you ever wanna go explore most of the guys that I'm close to are all military and we have a good time with our families.

Jkjeeper57

you in the springs I'm assuming? let me know if you ever wanna go explore most of the guys that I'm close to are all military and we have a good time with our families.
Yes I'm in the springs, that would be great sometime I'm currently trying to get my family involved more just the wife is a little nervous about off-roading with me. I ran medona pass with her she was ok with it except the water crossings. Luckily she stayed home last time was a rock crawling heavy trail.

Jkjeeper57

Just makes it a lot easier to keep track of what you want, where you saw it, etch, etc. . If you're like me you see something and gotta have it, then see something else that might be a little better and after a while you can't keep track of all this shit!

The nice thing about re-doing your Jeep is now you can learn from what you did previously. Not that what you did previously was wrong, just now you probably have a different perspective on your build.

That's exactly what I did - It really helped keep me on track. There is sooooo much info out there it can be overwhelming. I've even got binders with sheet protectors that I fill with printed off informational threads, instructions, specs, etc., in my garage so I can look something up quick too. I don't remember shit anymore it seems so I have to write it down or look it up...:grayno:
The only downside to tracking is Wife can find out how much I spend[emoji33]

5280Sapper

Yes I'm in the springs, that would be great sometime I'm currently trying to get my family involved more just the wife is a little nervous about off-roading with me. I ran medona pass with her she was ok with it except the water crossings. Luckily she stayed home last time was a rock crawling heavy trail.

well we can take you and the family on some great viewing trails to break them in.. we go every sunday! heading out tomorrow too!

Jkjeeper57

well we can take you and the family on some great viewing trails to break them in.. we go every sunday! heading out tomorrow too!

That would be great, I know we are busy the next couple of weekends but I will run it by her. I think actually going with someone would make it more fun for her, usually run solo.

Top Bottom