speaker help

wharfrat1121

Hey all!

2014 JK Alpine premium audio. I upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer NEX4100. I know nothing about how speakers, subs, amps, ohms, and all that good stuff works. I start reading about it and I get dizzy. Who can point me in the right direction for speaker upgrades?

Thanks in advance

swampdog

Pull your speakers from the box and fill the bar / box with poly fill (pillow stuffing). Pack it in tight and you will notice a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wharfrat1121

Pull your speakers from the box and fill the bar / box with poly fill (pillow stuffing). Pack it in tight and you will notice a world of difference.

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I had already poly filled the sound bar. I believe I blew one of the speakers and its driving me nuts. When I started reading up on the subject people were talking about certains ohms and stuff like that that confused me.

aldaman

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I had already poly filled the sound bar. I believe I blew one of the speakers and its driving me nuts. When I started reading up on the subject people were talking about certains ohms and stuff like that that confused me.

Since you have an aftermarket head unit, you can choose any speaker with a 4ohm or 2 ohm range. For the factory head unit, most stuck with 2ohms speakers because that was the factory specs. If you ran 4ohms on the stock unit, it wouldn't have enough juice to bring out the full potential of the aftermarket speakers....

:beer:

Kalums

Sorry to hijack but.... So I was thinking about doing this myself and adding a component set up for the bar, do I fill the whole bar or just the area behind the speakers? Also how do I keep its from interfering with the movement of the speaker? What about heat from the magnet when I boost it with an amp?

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry to hijack but.... So I was thinking about doing this myself and adding a component set up for the bar, do I fill the whole bar or just the area behind the speakers? Also how do I keep its from interfering with the movement of the speaker? What about heat from the magnet when I boost it with an amp?

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Any answer for this? Replacing my speakers this weekend.

Also, any need for dynomat, or just polyfill will do the trick?

Kalums

So far just the poly has been working nicely for mine, I do have the kicker upgrades on the way though... I think it's the 77kick10 upgraded 6.5s

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hey all!

2014 JK Alpine premium audio. I upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer NEX4100. I know nothing about how speakers, subs, amps, ohms, and all that good stuff works. I start reading about it and I get dizzy. Who can point me in the right direction for speaker upgrades?

Thanks in advance

If you want good sound, and you already have aftermarket unit, you also need to get an amplifier. Run all channels to the amplifier and from amp to speakers. Run all new speaker wire.

Pink line is on this sketch is just one 5ch amp.

IMG_4310.jpg

For example, my setup is a 1 amplifier 5 channel with mono sub. Mounted under seat.

Like so

IMG_4311.jpg

First you choose amp. You look at RMS wattage per channel, then You try to find speakers that will match that wattage as close as possible, per channel of course.
****only look at RMS, don't worry about peak, that's all bull crap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=alpine+speakers

I have those speakers, they are rated by a pair. 160watts RMS per pair. The amp is 4 channel X 75watts RMS. That's close enough not to under power the speakers. If your amp is pushing a lot more watts than the speakers are a rated for, than you will blow the speakers.
Make sure you buy component speakers. I have two sets of the above, with that amp and a 10" sub for time being, I will be getting a nice quality 8" sub to fit in the factory enclosure.

It's sounds great.

I don't know how strong the factory amp is, but you might also go that way if you want. Than you should be able to just plug your speakers right to factory wiring.

You will need this though, to be able to use factory amp with aftermarket radio, it also allows you to keep you steering wheel controls.

IMG_4313.jpg

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

Top Bottom