My Jeep is trying to kill me...

Necro

Seriously, ever since I lifted it the traction control system has been steadily trying to kill me... It kicks on whenever I take any kind of a sweeping turn above 25 MPH... so basically I'm on the highway doing 70 and hit a curve, the traction control kicks on and try's to drive my Jeep off the road towards the outside of the turn, thus requiring me to have to turn in even more tightly, thus resulting in the traction control kicking on again and starting the fight all over again.

It was seriously bad on the beach too... I'm trying to go fast so I don't get stuck and bog down, and the traction control was steadily hitting the ABS to keep my wheels from spinning.

So I've researched all over, and I did see that the "steering wheel dance" is supposed to fix it, but I could only find that it fixed the 2011 and older JK's while I couldn't find anything on the '12 and newer JK's.

,So today I tried the steering wheel dance just to be sure, and after having done it 10 plus times, it still doesn't work. It seems to disable the traction control when in 4 high, but as soon as I shift back into 2wd the traction control system wakes up again.

Necro

Thanks for the suggestions. My steering wheel is perfectly centered and was done at the dealership. I have also used a procal module to set my tire size and gear ratios but that didn't help either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know you're insisting that your steering wheel is centered but 9-10 times, what you're describing is caused by it being off just enough to make your Jeep's computer think you're in a slide under those conditions. That being said, is it safe to assume you're running 35 psi in your tires or higher? If so, try lowering that to about 28 psi and see if you're still having this problem.

Necro

I know you're insisting that your steering wheel is centered but 9-10 times, what you're describing is caused by it being off just enough to make your Jeep's computer think you're in a slide under those conditions. That being said, is it safe to assume you're running 35 psi in your tires or higher? If so, try lowering that to about 28 psi and see if you're still having this problem.

The steering wheel is dead center when I'm driving straight down the road. I am currently running my tires at 30 psi. I have had them as high as 40 psi, and as low as 24 psi. I have also ran them at 26 and 28 psi as well but at the lower tire pressures they flat spot worse over night and take longer to round back out, plus there is noticeable tread squirm at the lower pressures. The problem has been the same at all psi levels. I've also tried adjusting my shocks to make them more firm to combat body lean in corners and that didn't help either. The problem happens equally when turning left, or right. I have even had the clock spring in the steering wheel replaced with a new one as well.

JDalcour

I was having this issue and thought it was my drag link. My front track bar was coming loose hahaha talk about a close call.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The steering wheel is dead center when I'm driving straight down the road. I am currently running my tires at 30 psi. I have had them as high as 40 psi, and as low as 24 psi. I have also ran them at 26 and 28 psi as well but at the lower tire pressures they flat spot worse over night and take longer to round back out, plus there is noticeable tread squirm at the lower pressures. The problem has been the same at all psi levels. I've also tried adjusting my shocks to make them more firm to combat body lean in corners and that didn't help either. The problem happens equally when turning left, or right. I have even had the clock spring in the steering wheel replaced with a new one as well.

Okay. So, I just looked at your profile and see that you have a 4" Currie lift. Is it safe to say you installed their dropped pitman arm and front track bar relocation bracket? Have you double checked to make sure your steering components are tightened to torque spec?

Dirty Edition

This might sound crazy but i had a buddy that was having this issue and he ended up just going under the dash and splicing in a switch into the trac system so he can turn it on and off. the button on the dash still allows the trac system to engage even tho it is iff but he bypassed that so he can turn off the whole system. his jeep seems fine.

thardy

Banned
This might sound crazy but i had a buddy that was having this issue and he ended up just going under the dash and splicing in a switch into the trac system so he can turn it on and off. the button on the dash still allows the trac system to engage even tho it is iff but he bypassed that so he can turn off the whole system. his jeep seems fine.

Killing the TCS is not a suitable substitute for finding the ACTUAL cause. Sorry, but your buddy is a dumb ass.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

That's about as smart as someone killing themselves to avoid paying taxes.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

Hmmmm.... kinda like pulling the bulb out to fix a check engine light. I would recommend find and fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
So how are all Jeeps before 2005 doing just fine without TSC? Honest question.

The short answer? They were not fine at all, being among the most dangerous vehicles on the roadway as an SUV. See this article: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/809979

However, once the use of Traction Control Systems (TSC) were implemented, the fatality rate for SUV's dropped dramatically. Read this article (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/50/1/1) where it states: "A decade ago, SUVs had some of the highest rates, due to their propensity to roll over (see Status Report special issue: driver death rates, March 19, 2005). However, the spread of electronic stability control (ESC) through the fleet has dramatically lessened the risk of rollover crashes in these and all vehicles. The rollover death rate of 5 per million registered vehicle years for 2011 models is less than a quarter of what it was for 2004 models."

Disconnecting this system is the worst thing you can do to yourself, the occupants in your vehicle and the public at large.

Necro

Okay. So, I just looked at your profile and see that you have a 4" Currie lift. Is it safe to say you installed their dropped pitman arm and front track bar relocation bracket? Have you double checked to make sure your steering components are tightened to torque spec?

I am running the Currie dropped pitman arm and the track bar bracket as well. My steering box has been replaced with a PSC box, and my long side tie rod is also brand new. I'm running PSC's hydro assist kit. Everything has been verified that it is nice and tight and nothing is loose. The Jeep rides and drives awesome when the traction control isn't trying to outsmart me.

Top Bottom