Dana 30 is dead

Eezybreezy08

Hey fellas, well I've done it now. Tore my Dana 30 up this weekend. Not sure what to do with it, should I build it back, or no crawling for a year to try and save up for a new Dana 44. I pulled the axle shafts so now I actually have a 2wd jeep. So any ideas what y'all would do. As much as I would say I would love to just go throw a pr 44 in, that's easier said than done. I can save for one which might take a year but I don't know. Anyways, y'all let me know what y'all think and why. Also my superchips programmer had a melt down on the same trip, so I'm stuck in crawl mode while superchips do what they can do to fix it. It was a lovely trip ha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eezybreezy08

Now I've heard about going that route, but the thing that makes me nervous about that is the axle tubes. I've read where there not much bigger than a 30. So that makes me nervous about spending money on that, especially if even after sleeving it, that I can still bend the housing. So it is an option and I'm thinking about it also

robx251

Caught the Bug
Well how did you kill the d30? From my understanding the jk d30 and jk d44 are the same tubes, knuckles and out.

1476259170068.jpg
That is how I killed mine. I just threw a new set of inexpensive gears in it.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've got a 30 and have read so many threads the past almost 2 years on it. Most folks'll tell you don't bother sleeveing a 40. How long have you been running it? A set of nice gears & shafts & a truss might get you through for a while. I'm not an off roader, my jeep is more for camping & hunting, but there are a lot of people on here running 30s that get by. Seems to depend on things like your lift & tire size.

Sent from my duck blind.

Coop

Caught the Bug
If money is tight, the cheapest thing would be to find a used complete D30. Probably regearing and new axles for your existing D30 would be less than a used Rubi D44. Would depend on if you chose better axles than stock. At least the Rubi would have an elocker. Maybe gusset the old D30 or replacement axle but I wouldn't waste time on sleeves. Any of these would get you back on the trails and you could start saving for a PR44.

WJCO

Meme King
You might be able to find a used 30 that someone has taken out during an upgrade. At least that would get you by so you could use your Jeep again. But if your ultimately planning on a pr44, you'd hate to spend money now on a used 30 or 44, that you could be saving for the PR44.

Eezybreezy08

I've been running them 4.88 in it for probably 2 years. The most I will go out rock crawling in it is about 4 times a year. I have the g2 gears with the lifetime warranty so I get them free. And I was thinking about putting in the g2 chromoly axle shafts as another option just cause they come with the lifetime warranty. So that leaves me with a master install kit to buy and labor to pay to have them damn things put in. So I guess my big debate is, do I wanna keep spending anywhere from $500-$600 every time I tear the front end up if I wanna do something a little more technical like I did last weekend

LarryG

I've been running them 4.88 in it for probably 2 years. The most I will go out rock crawling in it is about 4 times a year. I have the g2 gears with the lifetime warranty so I get them free. And I was thinking about putting in the g2 chromoly axle shafts as another option just cause they come with the lifetime warranty. So that leaves me with a master install kit to buy and labor to pay to have them damn things put in. So I guess my big debate is, do I wanna keep spending anywhere from $500-$600 every time I tear the front end up if I wanna do something a little more technical like I did last weekend

I will sell you the 30 I just took out-12,000 miles on the jeep, but had never been in 4x4. $300 you pay shipping.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
You could pick up a used 30 and run it easy until you have the money for the PR. I know most say not to waste money on a 30, but IMO running less aggressive trails is better than not getting out at all.

Eezybreezy08

That's really the debate I'm at. Just stop wasting money on fixing my 30 and I will just have to take a break from trails, which is sad, or fix the 30, and like everyone knows, just like me, it's only a matter of time for when it fails again

J

JKDream

There's good deals on Rubi 44's around.
I paid $400 for mine, complete with e-locker, gears etc.
Regeared it to 5:13 and threw an evo truss on it.
Built it for under $1000 and it's strong as hell.

Top Bottom