Stuck DOORS

DIRTYHR

Hey from Idaho [emoji112] ...recommendations on getting doors off... Two BIG guys pulling n wiggling bk n frth on my doors and nothing...I realize I've bought used ..13 Rubicon & she never took doors off..but geeezzz, they practically lifted the thing of the ground for the most part...still nada

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Try some PB Blaster or something on the hinges & let it soak in. Be very careful doing something like trying to lift them with a floor jack - very easy to bend bottom of the door that way...

Rb1boxer_3

Lol same yr as mine same problem as mine. I got a small Allen wrench and hammer and hit up on where the bolts were a couple times then yanked them out. Never put the bolts back on though.

Out in the Boonies

TRLJNKY

Both good ideas. Still dont work I would pull the hinges and work on the ground before I get to crazy on the Jeep. Yeah you will have to read adjust the door when reinstalling but inly the one time. Once cleaned out and lubed should be good to go. They do sell new sleeves if you wanted. Ive heard horror stories of ppl bending doors as Ddays mentioned

sent from some burner phone found in a dumpster

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, you for sure want to replace those plastic bushings & coat with a waterproof grease. (you probably already figured on doing this but just in case...).

DIRTYHR

DEFINITELY replacing bushings and greasing when they finally do come loose. I played w the idea of taking doors off at bolts instead...this is clearly a common issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

What worked on my 04 was spraying the hinges with WD40 for a few days then opening and closing the doors a few times to work it in. And open the door as far as it will go helps.
Then with a 4x4 and a floor jack I put the 4x4 under the frame of the door, lifted the jack to put a little pressure on the door, and then I worked the door back and forth about 10 times.
Repeat this process a few times and the doors will come off, just be sure to have an extra pair of hands in case the door pops up!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
There was a thread about this recently. Lots of different methods to get those stuck doors loose. After gallons of WD on my 2012 and an hour of twiddling my thumbs, I sat on the door ledge and lifted with my calves and thighs. When the corrosion finally let go it happened very fast and we almost dropped the door onto the concrete floor. Replace the stock bushings with TMR's and you'll be :thumb: for a long time. Good luck!

jmatta33

On my first Jeep I took the doors off at the hinges and I would NOT recommend this course of action unless you have a good amount of touch up paint handy. The hinges are painted after installation from the factory so the bolts ended up chipping off paint and it looked like crap after. I did this because I didn't know there were bolts on the bottom of the hinges until one of my buddies with a Jeep was like "dude, just take the bolts off and they pop right out". It is also a bit of a pain to get the alignment back perfect, so I would only consider this as a last resort. Spray a crap ton of lube while moving the door around to get the lube in the creases. After it settles, move the door back and forth while lifting. It may take a while and a lot of elbow grease but this is much better than taking off the hinges in my opinion.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Try some PB Blaster or something on the hinges & let it soak in. Be very careful doing something like trying to lift them with a floor jack - very easy to bend bottom of the door that way...

X2. Use a floor jack to get some constant upward pressure on them then wiggle them back and forth. They'll slowly start to work their way up (eventually).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

walrond

Sledge hammer on the bolts... ballsy...

All the techniques I've seen are questionable. I guess hammering the the bolts is a matter of technique. Personally, I screwed the retaining nut all the way then backed it out about an 8th of an inch before hitting on it. Once the door moved up that 8th, then I unscrewed it another 8th. I did this on all the hinges on all four doors with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom