Axle Shaft U-Joint Replacement.

BONDSY

With 30,000 miles on the clock I figured it was time enough to change out my axle shaft u-joints. While this is not a complete step by step write up here are a couple pics from what we did ourselves.

Removing the wheel is easy enough:
209883ef.jpg

The axle nut is a PITA to get off. 35mm socket does the trick.
It's best to loosen this while the tire is on the ground.
b11d181c.jpg

Pressing the old joint out. It's much easier if you remove the circle clips first.:doh:
Don't ask me how I know.:thankyou:
027ece5d.jpg

Everything went back together pretty smoothly.
Here is the old joint, It still has lube inside, but we went ahead and did them both.
6afb800c.jpg

Well that was my Saturday morning DIY project. Total 3 hours time.
Thanks to my friend Jeremy for the helping hand.

O_M_Jeep

If you have the means this is a perfect time to upgrade to alloy shafts and timken unit bearings (if it doesn't have timkens already )

mmccurdy

If you have the means this is a perfect time to upgrade to alloy shafts and timken unit bearings (if it doesn't have timkens already )

I'm curious about this, since I've seen my fair share of u-joint failures on OEM shafts, but never seen the bearing go. I'm including my own experience running hundreds of miles without a shaft installed. Can you point me in the direction of the timken unit bearings you mention? A quick search of their site doesn't turn anything up.

Also, if you're thinking of upgrading to alloy shafts, I would just mention that when you're wailing on your rig, there will come a time that something in your driveline is likely to break, and it will be the weakest link. If you're running alloy shafts and CTM u-joints, etc. that just means that point of failure will be "upstream" of those components -- think ring and pinion, driveline, transfer case, etc. Which would you rather be replacing on the trail? This is why I've stuck with OEM shafts and joints, despite having to change them out periodically... my two cents...

willfarrell

With 30,000 miles on the clock I figured it was time enough to change out my axle shaft u-joints. While this is not a complete step by step write up here are a couple pics from what we did ourselves.

Removing the wheel is easy enough:
209883ef.jpg

The axle nut is a PITA to get off. 35mm socket does the trick.
It's best to loosen this while the tire is on the ground.
b11d181c.jpg

Pressing the old joint out. It's much easier if you remove the circle clips first.:doh:
Don't ask me how I know.:thankyou:
027ece5d.jpg

Everything went back together pretty smoothly.
Here is the old joint, It still has lube inside, but we went ahead and did them both.
6afb800c.jpg

Well that was my Saturday morning DIY project. Total 3 hours time.
Thanks to my friend Jeremy for the helping hand.

Just curious. Why are you doing this at 30000 miles? I do not remember reading anything in the manual about this being routine maintenance. Anyway, just wondering

Irishcoffee

Did the same these days for my chicken Dana30 passenger side axle shaft!!!
Here is mine "smiling" right stock axle shaft (dead after 105.000 km):
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff422/ipampu/Planetara/IMG_1237.jpg?t=1330898036
That socket for removing the first nut washer I believe is 36 though! Or?
I put on mine 27 spline axle shaft some bigger 760 Dana Spicer U-Joints (still non-greasable).
If these will brake next are RCV!

:brows:

Cheers for the write-up!

John

willfarrell

Thanks for answering my question. I have done that myself before, take it apart just to put it back together again.:thumb:

BONDSY

Thanks for answering my question. I have done that myself before, take it apart just to put it back together again.:thumb:

It did have 30,000 mi. on it and I'd rather learn how to in the comfort of my garage than out in the dark, high up on the trail. Now I know the routine it wont be so much to figure out.

Top Bottom