Front wheel stud

silverbullet88

Is it possible to hammer out a front stud? I have a pretty good tool for pulling them back in. Or should I just replace the whole Unit bearing?

Can't seem to find an answer

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Probably a hammer isn't the best tool for the job. I would think you would damage the threads. A press is what you want. Either actual, or makeshift

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigBoy

I've done this before, not on my jk but another car I had. Hammer out the old stud. Then get a replacement and an open lug nut. If you put the stud in from the back, put a washer on the front then use the open lug nut to tighten on the stud. As you tighten the lug nut, the stud aligns it self and get sucked in to place, no press needed. Take off the open lug nut and washer and your done. It's easy.

silverbullet88

Well just finished. Best tool ever for this. Sucks the stud in perfectly straight. No need for washers. Bearings allow it to spin in without the lug getting locked up on the washers. And it allows you to not use a huge amount of force. Keeps the stress off everything. IMG_1476421056.573427.jpg
IMG_1476421071.990404.jpg
Thanks for the input all. Hope this tool can help someone in the future

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
just ordered one,thanks for posting.
Every once in a while when we get the tires rotated I'll get home and find a broken stud. this will make it a hell of a lot easier than washers or taking it back and having to deal with making an appointment with their shop to have the stud replaced

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Never done one on a jk before, but I have never heard of someone replacing a unit bearing for a broken stud. Hammering out a stud is very easy and pulling the new one through takes a few seconds.

Top Bottom