TJ or JK?! HELP!

Jheapr

so here's my situation. i got a truck at auction a few months ago while in texas, and drove it home to Durango, Co. all said and done with travel and new tires i was into the truck $3,400. i found a guy on a facebook group looking to trade his TJ for a truck, needless to say i hopped on that and the guy ended up loving my Tundra! now i'm in a predicament, should i keep the TJ because i'm in it for practically nothing? or should i sell and use the profit to buy a JK? the TJ has 190k miles and a 5spd. runs great. 2.5" rough country lift, 31" Maxxis mud terrains.

i would love to get into a JKU just for the simple fact o can do a 4" lift and run 37's no problem. also would like the room/ wheel base

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Like Kruebicon said I think it depends on the wheeling you do or want to do. From what I've seen (I have a JKU but seeing Tj parts and correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm sure it's less expensive so that could also be something to factor in. If you have no money in it you could put a little bit and maybe make it a very capable rig.

WJCO

Meme King
I would go with the JK if you're planning on modding it. Aftermarket support is un-ending.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
JK all day. I love the looks of the JKs over the TJs, YJs, or even CJs anymore. The drive ability of the JKs are awesome to me also. I drive mine everyday and don't feel like it's any different than a pick up or another SUV. The YJs I've had you knew you were in a jeep, not that it's a bad thing. They were just completely different animals compared to the JK. I've never owned a TJ so I can't comment on them. The only thing I might own other than a JK would be an LJ because of the extra wheelbase and storage. Other than that it would be a JK or JKU.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Having owned both, I would definitely get a JK especially if you're planning on wheeling it.

ob_tj

I love my TJ and it holds its own on the trails. But even I am looking for a JKU. Especially if you have a family!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Again depends on what you'll do with it. If it's a toy you take to local trails every once in a while then the tj is fine. But if you are on this forum I'm assuming you would like to travel to somewhere in your JEEP and wheel it relatively hard in which case the jk is a much better choice.

DP1120

Having had bolt and driven both a decent amount at this point i really prefer the JK if you plan to drive it a decent amount for sure. The driveability and comfort in my JKU is much better than my TJ. I daily drove the TJ for a long time with no issues but after being in the JK for a little bit it is much nicer to be in for long periods of time. Just my .02

I loved my TJ. It got me hooked on Jeeps. But, you can't beat the 4 doors and comfort of the JK. If you are going to stay 2 Door I would probably stick with the TJ.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
i would love to get into a JKU just for the simple fact o can do a 4" lift and run 37's no problem. also would like the room/ wheel base

Sounds like you already answered your own question.

But if you want to weigh pros and cons, can you afford to upgrade to a JKU? Is getting into debt right now a good idea? That TJ is narrower and lighter than the JK which can help a lot on narrow rock trails. That being said, the wider width and longer wheel base of the JK gives you more stability in off camber situations as well as climbing and descending obstacles. I have a JKUR and my daughter aTJ ( 4" long arm & 37's) . We do a lot of rock crawling in the Sierra's ( Rubicon, Fordyce...), we call the TJ the "Billy goat" because it's light and nimble and goes everywhere, but we often put a strap on it on extreme side hills or steep obstacles.
My daughter plans on getting a JKUR when she can afford it, but for now she wheels the heck out of the billy goat.

Jheapr

Sounds like you already answered your own question.

But if you want to weigh pros and cons, can you afford to upgrade to a JKU? Is getting into debt right now a good idea? That TJ is narrower and lighter than the JK which can help a lot on narrow rock trails. That being said, the wider width and longer wheel base of the JK gives you more stability in off camber situations as well as climbing and descending obstacles. I have a JKUR and my daughter aTJ ( 4" long arm & 37's) . We do a lot of rock crawling in the Sierra's ( Rubicon, Fordyce...), we call the TJ the "Billy goat" because it's light and nimble and goes everywhere, but we often put a strap on it on extreme side hills or steep obstacles.
My daughter plans on getting a JKUR when she can afford it, but for now she wheels the heck out of the billy goat.

thank you for the response! that was one of my concerns. i like how small it is.. but i want a longer wheel base. guess i'll just have to stretch.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
My daughter is going to get a stretch kit for her TJ. It'll give her a better wheel base ( adds about 5" ) until she can afford her JK.

Peak

I'd settle with the TJ until the new JL comes out. Then sell it for a JL if you like them or sell it for a JK. The prices for a JK should drop since it's going to be an older model.

Shopteach

I have had both. I currently have a JKU and an LJ. I love the JK for the comfort. I love the LJ for the simplicity. The JKU can take 5 people while the LJ will only fit 4. This is why I built a JKU. If you do not need seating capacity for 5, my LJ is half the cost of my JK. That is significant. My dog does not care what Jeep he rides in.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I really think it depends on where you live and how far you drive as well. TJ's are not comfortable at 70-80 mph for hours on end. JK's can handle it all day long even after a hard day on the trail.

If I was still on the east coast and had short drives I wouldn't mind going back to TJ

My dog doesn't like the jk8, she thinks she deserves a seat inside.

WJCO

Meme King
I really think it depends on where you live and how far you drive as well. TJ's are not comfortable at 70-80 mph for hours on end. JK's can handle it all day long even after a hard day on the trail.

If I was still on the east coast and had short drives I wouldn't mind going back to TJ

My dog doesn't like the jk8, she thinks she deserves a seat inside.

On that same note, before getting a JK, my wife and I had read a lot of 'reviews' that JKs weren't comfortable for road trips. We took our first road trip in ours last week. 8 hours straight. It was extremely comfortable. My wife and I both agree that the JK has very comfortable seats and a comfortable ride for road trips. Now gas mileage on the other hand, lol.....

Top Bottom