Advice for new Ball joints and tie rod for 4.5 in lift

Redrckjeepr

I recently had a 4.5 in Rough Country lift installed with the steering stabilizers. After driving it for about a month I started hearing a squeaking sound when I would hit a bump. Had it checked out and was told I need new tie rod ends and ball joints.

I am looking more toward the dynatrac ball joints, and the Currie tie rod ends.

For right now do y'all think this would be an ok setup even though I am keeping the stock tie rod?

I'd rather spend the more money on the ball joints now then add the money on the tie rod later.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I recently had a 4.5 in Rough Country lift installed with the steering stabilizers. After driving it for about a month I started hearing a squeaking sound when I would hit a bump. Had it checked out and was told I need new tie rod ends and ball joints.

I am looking more toward the dynatrac ball joints, and the Currie tie rod ends.

For right now do y'all think this would be an ok setup even though I am keeping the stock tie rod?

I'd rather spend the more money on the ball joints now then add the money on the tie rod later.

What issues outside of a squeak are you having that makes you think you need new ball joints and tie rod ends?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know who checked out your Jeep but I might have someone else give it a look. If I could guess, your squeak is NOT coming from your tie rod ends. Just trying to save you some money.

EDIT, looks like coz beat me to it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What suggestions do you have that it could be something else?

What all components did you install? Could be any number of things like loose sway bar link bolts, polyurethane bushings that need lube, could be any number of things but if it were really your ball joints, they wouldn't be squeaking and you'd know it being that you'd most likely have death wobble. I think you need to find a new shop.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Nothing really. The jeep drives fine to me. I do have play in the steering wheel, but I just assumed it's part of having a jeep. Haha

What suggestions do you have that it could be something else?

Squeaks are normal IMO and just part of owning a jeep lol

As far as play in the steering wheel goes it sounds like you need an alignment and that your jeep could really benefit from a drag link flip like what Evo makes to help with the flightyness

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As far as play in the steering wheel goes it sounds like you need an alignment and that your jeep could really benefit from a drag link flip like what Evo makes to help with the flightyness

If I recall, the Rough Country lift I installed and tested back in the day came with a dropped pitman arm. The splines on it did not provide a tight fit on the sector shaft and this caused the steering to feel really flighty. Of course, caster was way off too and that didn't help anything.

Redrckjeepr

Yea I thought so as well about the squeak, but it only started after I went from stock to 4.5 and 35s. It is more prevalent on the front passenger side. I've got almost 100,000 miles on the jeep and have owned it since new. So the ball joints just seemed an appropriate replacement due to the mileage and never had to replace so far.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If I recall, the Rough Country lift I installed and tested back in the day came with a dropped pitman arm. The splines on it did not provide a tight fit on the sector shaft and this caused the steering to feel really flighty. Of course, caster was way off too and that didn't help anything.
Yea very good point I forgot rough country likes to use drop pitman arms. I'm sure they don't use adjustable arms with their lifts either
Yea I thought so as well about the squeak, but it only started after I went from stock to 4.5 and 35s. It is more prevalent on the front passenger side. I've got almost 100,000 miles on the jeep and have owned it since new. So the ball joints just seemed an appropriate replacement due to the mileage and never had to replace so far.

Wayalife mentioned a ton of things as for what the squeak maybe coming from. As he said as well I would look for a new shop

tgoss

I assume you replaced some if not all of the control arms with different/adjustable ones?

I would make certain those are torqued at the frame and axle sides and jam nuts tightened (this can be a major pain in the ass if you don't have a large enough crescent wrench). Make sure the joints are greased along with going through the rest of the suspension with an hour of your time and a torque wrench.

jeeeep

Hooked
some squealing will happen on the bumps but try loosening the all the control arm bolts and track bar bolts with the Jeep on the ground, give it a good shake and then torque everything back up again. if you had some binding this will release it.

if it only happens during a bump, also check your coils to make sure it's seated properly.

alternatively you could spray WD40 on the track bar ends, maybe do one end at a time then work your way onto each control arm, one end at a time to isolate where it may be coming from.

NV JK Steve

I have there 6" long arm on my jeep and I have that same squeeze on mine, I think it's coming from the front shocks. I sprayed some WD on it and I think its gone. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom