Polycarbonate Windshield for Jeep ?

danco3636

I would like to know if anybody has any Jeep experience with the polycarbonate windshields

I see that Optic Armor sells a Wrangler JK polyshield which is 1/2 the weight (30 lbs) of the glass stock one and over 250% stronger than glass. They claim and I suspect correctly that these windshields will not crack or spider like glass.

Any coments about real world experiences with these poly windshields would be appreciated.

http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/jeep-replacement-windows.asp

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

thardy

Banned
The problem will be scratching. We've used poly windshields in racecars and drift cars, and as long as you don't have to use windshield wipers, they're great. Otherwise you really risk scratching them.

Edit: not sure I believe the scratch resistant comment they make.

LarryG

Has anyone run the tearaway film on their windshield?

I have. I flat tow a Rubi and didn't want all the rock chips so I tried the NASCAR style tear off. It worked great. I kept it on for the entire 4 week trip. As it was my first attempt at install....I had some areas where I did not have enough water which caused some foggy looking areas. Other than that it worked great. Came off without any residue. It is expensive.

Draconianwinter

I would be wondering if that means they will not scratch at all due to using wipers or only if they are clean. So far I have yet to any poly windows that didn't get scratched up with the wiper blades. Maybe they have it figured out. While higher proceed than glad if they don't scratch up then it may well be worth it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
Besides the scratching from windshield wipers, the claims of UV stabilized are BS. UV always wins, causing hazing and discoloration.

Sigma05

I ran a similar Speedglass on my TJ for years and it was well worth it. I used the windshield wipers with mud and it never scratched it. The only issue I ever had was if you left your truck outside in direct sunlight, over time you will start to see a "spider web". That happened after 5 years. When I replaced it, I stored the TJ indoors and it didn't happen.

danco3636

I ran a similar Speedglass on my TJ for years and it was well worth it. I used the windshield wipers with mud and it never scratched it. The only issue I ever had was if you left your truck outside in direct sunlight, over time you will start to see a "spider web". That happened after 5 years. When I replaced it, I stored the TJ indoors and it didn't happen.

Thanks. Once I get a hold of the company I will see if they offer any warranty.

JeepJeep75

No matter what you do, their will always be something harder than the polycarbonate caught between the wiper and the windshield. There is no way around that. Much like the 8 lug conversion for a Dana 30, seems this is just another useless accessory you can waste your money on. An ass for every seat, right? [emoji6]

danco3636

I talked to the company about the windshield.
They said that it is break and shatter resistant.
But like many have said it will scratch with the windshield wipers if any dirt or sand gets in there. Not right away but after a while it will wear through the coating.
They said it's mainly for hard core riders that want something that won't break.
Thinking not a good fit for something on the road and off-road.

jmatta33

I talked to the company about the windshield.
They said that it is break and shatter resistant.
But like many have said it will scratch with the windshield wipers if any dirt or sand gets in there. Not right away but after a while it will wear through the coating.
They said it's mainly for hard core riders that want something that won't break.
Thinking not a good fit for something on the road and off-road.

Yeah that sounds about right. Maybe if your rig has no wipers and is off road only and you NEVER ride in the rain lol.

Top Bottom