Crown Driver side knuckle versus Mopar knuckle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have no experience with the knuckle but I have found that a lot of Crown OE parts such as their track bars to work just as well.

jeeeep

Hooked
What happened to it?

the tie rod mounting hole is wallered out more, it's been that way for awhile but checking it today I noticed it's looking a bit larger.

maybe ought to look into the Rancho knuckles hmmm

WJCO

Meme King
the tie rod mounting hole is wallered out more, it's been that way for awhile but checking it today I noticed it's looking a bit larger.

I just ordered those with my prorock, but I believe that they only make them in high-steer. If you already have the hi-steer setup then you're good.

As far as Crown goes, I used my first part from them this year, it was a rear ball joint for the 44a arm. It came apart 900 miles later. I hear a lot of good about Crown, but now I'm a little Leary of them myself.

EDIT: Just looked at your profile, you're good as far as Hi steer.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I just ordered those with my prorock, but I believe that they only make them in high-steer. If you already have the hi-steer setup then you're good.

As far as Crown goes, I used my first part from them this year, it was a rear ball joint for the 44a arm. It came apart 900 miles later. I hear a lot of good about Crown, but now I'm a little Leary of them myself.

yeah, I almost forgot about Rancho, think I'll give them a try and they're red! :thumb:

I've ordered other Crown parts in the past and they seem to be hit or miss in the QC dept which makes me leary.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Yup, that's china! It really depends on the part. Most of my new replacement parts on the FC are crown. Some are ok, others I'm not to happy about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
just looked up the Rancho knuckles, website indicates they won't fit on my 2010.

I'll call Monday and hopefully I can use them on the PR44

Rancho

Caught the Bug
They will fit :)

highsteer_knuckles_zps07lfmioy.jpg

just looked up the Rancho knuckles, website indicates they won't fit on my 2010.

I'll call Monday and hopefully I can use them on the PR44

JKbrick

Did it drive oddly? My front passenger tire feels like it's loose when I hit a bump but I don't feel it in the wheel or the driver side tire.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Did it drive oddly? My front passenger tire feels like it's loose when I hit a bump but I don't feel it in the wheel or the driver side tire.

it did drive oddly and same as yours, when I'd hit a bump I could feel the wobble.

I lifted the front and could easily move the tire side to side thought I had a bad hub so I took the wheel off to inspect the hub and it checked out ok - it was when I was putting the wheel back on that I noticed the movement in the tie rod end and found the nut on the knuckle was loose. It took the weight/force of the wheel to move it, it wasn't loose enough to where I could move it by hand but with the tire on it easily moved.
The knuckle hole was already a little wallered out a little and this just made it worse.

Also inspect your ball joints, get a bar or shovel under the wheel and lift on it. if you put your thumb on the side of the ball joint between the knuckle and the "C" you'll feel movement.

a bad ball joint will also give you what you describe. Do you have the factory track bar? check the bushings on that as well.

I ordered the Rancho knuckles and some bushings, giving front end a little refresh.

I need to get some pics posted up.

JKbrick

it did drive oddly and same as yours, when I'd hit a bump I could feel the wobble.

I lifted the front and could easily move the tire side to side thought I had a bad hub so I took the wheel off to inspect the hub and it checked out ok - it was when I was putting the wheel back on that I noticed the movement in the tie rod end and found the nut on the knuckle was loose. It took the weight/force of the wheel to move it, it wasn't loose enough to where I could move it by hand but with the tire on it easily moved.
The knuckle hole was already a little wallered out a little and this just made it worse.

Also inspect your ball joints, get a bar or shovel under the wheel and lift on it. if you put your thumb on the side of the ball joint between the knuckle and the "C" you'll feel movement.

a bad ball joint will also give you what you describe. Do you have the factory track bar? check the bushings on that as well.

I ordered the Rancho knuckles and some bushings, giving front end a little refresh.

I need to get some pics posted up.

Yes factory track bar, drag link flip too. I will look at these other things. It's harder to check things since I'm almost always by myself in the garage. Thanks for the reply

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes factory track bar, drag link flip too. I will look at these other things. It's harder to check things since I'm almost always by myself in the garage. Thanks for the reply

once you get the front axle on jack stands, just enough to get the tire barely off the ground, you can place the shovel under the tire from the inner side and try to lift the tire while you look at all the components.

If you have movement in the ball joint it's time to replace it. you may need to put your thumb where the ball joint gap is between the knuckle and C to feel for movement.

here's what my track bar bushings looks like - you can see where the bushing has shrunk and left gaps, it's the same on the axle side.

TB_top.jpg

JKbrick

once you get the front axle on jack stands, just enough to get the tire barely off the ground, you can place the shovel under the tire from the inner side and try to lift the tire while you look at all the components.

If you have movement in the ball joint it's time to replace it. you may need to put your thumb where the ball joint gap is between the knuckle and C to feel for movement.

here's what my track bar bushings looks like - you can see where the bushing has shrunk and left gaps, it's the same on the axle side.

View attachment 227361

Never knew the bushing would shrink, that's weird. I've noticed when I did flip kits for 3 of my friends with newer Jeeps their trac bars seemed to move around a lot with the axle side loose and the frame side tight. I purchased a set of used Dynatrac ball joints off a guy here on WAYALIFE a few years ago so I'd have them when I need them. Have thought about doing a new tie rod even tho I've got stock tires and only 13000 miles. I have spacers but I'm sure not the only guy that does. I'll keep messing with it. Maybe if I cry about it enough my wife will get tired of it and let me get a pro rock

Top Bottom