Metal rattling noise when in 4Hi

InnaJeep

Hey guys,

I was driving around the other day and I went into 4Hi to do a little wheeling. At around 15-20 MPH, there is a metal rattling noise coming from under the driver's side. It's only in 4Hi and at higher speeds, 4Lo doesn't make any noise. I'm afraid theres something wrong with the transfer case or the front drive shaft? since it does't make any noise at all in 2WD. I was reading around and people were talking about loose heat shields and such. I am about to take a look underneath and see if theres anything noticeably loose. I don't think its a lack of fluid since it wasn't giving me any issues a few weeks ago and it hasn't been leaking anything.

WJCO

Meme King
Check the fluids to be safe. Also check front driveshaft ujoints for play and front axle ujoints for play. You could always remove the front driveshaft and re test it to see if symptom is still there or not.

InnaJeep

Check the fluids to be safe. Also check front driveshaft ujoints for play and front axle ujoints for play. You could always remove the front driveshaft and re test it to see if symptom is still there or not.

There is play in the drive shaft itself. I can rotate it slightly with my hand. I'm assuming that's bad? What would have caused it/ how would i fix it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm very much a noob.

WJCO

Meme King
There is play in the drive shaft itself. I can rotate it slightly with my hand. I'm assuming that's bad? What would have caused it/ how would i fix it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm very much a noob.

A little rotational play is pretty normal. Up and down play or side play is not normal.

InnaJeep

A little rotational play is pretty normal. Up and down play or side play is not normal.

It's tight and doesn't wobble side to side or back and forth. Just that rotational play.

I might just go ahead and change my transfer case fluid since I haven't done that yet and I don't know when it was changed last. I guess I'll take the front drive shaft off and see if its the transfer case. Would i take it off, drive it around, put it in 4Hi and see if its still making the noise?

WJCO

Meme King
It's tight and doesn't wobble side to side or back and forth. Just that rotational play.

I might just go ahead and change my transfer case fluid since I haven't done that yet and I don't know when it was changed last. I guess I'll take the front drive shaft off and see if its the transfer case. Would i take it off, drive it around, put it in 4Hi and see if its still making the noise?

If you remove the front shaft, and noise is still there, then that eliminates your front shaft and axle. I wouldn't drive it like that too long in 4wd though due to differences in ratios with no front shaft. At least it will be a starting point.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you remove the front shaft, and noise is still there, then that eliminates your front shaft and axle. I wouldn't drive it like that too long in 4wd though due to differences in ratios with no front shaft. At least it will be a starting point.

It won't hurt anything to drive in 4hi. I've driven 50 miles on the highway in 4hi after breaking a shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
It won't hurt anything to drive in 4hi. I've driven 50 miles on the highway in 4hi after breaking a shaft.

I also popped the jeep into 4hi pretty much every time the road was semi straighy throughout my entire gear break-in. I didn't want to coldwork the coast side of the ring/pinion and leave the load side "unworked"... call it what you will, but I haven't had any issues. :thumb:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

it won't hurt anything to drive in 4hi with the front driveshaft off, I did by accident when the shop that installed my PR44 couldn't get the vibration out.

Drove from Tx to Colorado on my way to Utah at varying speed before I realized I was still in 4hi.

I've also driven 70+ mph in 4hi (with front ds) by accident in Moab, late run and rushing to meet others for dinner...I was thinking to myself - damn! this jeep is driving like it's on rails! until my brother pointed out I was still in 4hi :doh:

InnaJeep

Finally got around to taking out the front drive shaft. Turns out that was the problem as I drove around in 4HI with it removed and it no longer makes noise. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I really appreciated it.

Now to shop around for a new drive shaft. Anyone has any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_1476931745.304118.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Finally got around to taking out the front drive shaft. Turns out that was the problem as I drove around in 4HI with it removed and it no longer makes noise. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I really appreciated it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app View attachment 227809

it's actually cheaper to buy an aftermarket but if you don't have a budget call your local Jeep shops for take-offs, they should make you a great deal on one

I've been using Coast Driveline and they've always held up. don't get greasable u-joints they tend to break at the grease fitting, make sure who ever you choose uses solid Spicer or Neapco u-joints

WJCO

Meme King

How much lift are you running? If it's too high, you'll likely run into the same issue again. You really should switch to a Double Cardin shaft with certain lift heights as they handle the steeper angle better.

InnaJeep

it's actually cheaper to buy an aftermarket but if you don't have a budget call your local Jeep shops for take-offs, they should make you a great deal on one

I've been using Coast Driveline and they've always held up. don't get greasable u-joints they tend to break at the grease fitting, make sure who ever you choose uses solid Spicer or Neapco u-joints

Yep, planning on grabbing an aftermarket one since it'd be kinda dumb to get a stock one. I'll look into coast driveline. Thanks!

How much lift are you running? If it's too high, you'll likely run into the same issue again. You really should switch to a Double Cardin shaft with certain lift heights as they handle the steeper angle better.

I think it's a 3" lift? It came with Bilstein 5100s and it's quite a bit taller than stock jks. I was honestly just waiting for it to break. I'm eventually getting a 4-5" lift to fit 37s under so I'd like a driveshaft that can accommodate that so I don't have to buy twice.

EDIT: Looks like Coast is now discontinued? Can't find their stuff anywhere (albeit i haven't looked that hard ;) ) Also, I think I'm leaning towards and Adams driveshaft since it comes with the yokes and Spicer hardware (gonna make sure its non-greaseable).

Are there any other better options? From a quick googling session it seems like Tom Woods, Coast, and Adams are all good options. I don't want to spend a fortune but I want something that will last and will accommodate a wide range of heights since i plan on getting a higher lift in the future.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Yep, planning on grabbing an aftermarket one since it'd be kinda dumb to get a stock one. I'll look into coast driveline. Thanks!

I think it's a 3" lift? It came with Bilstein 5100s and it's quite a bit taller than stock jks. I was honestly just waiting for it to break. I'm eventually getting a 4-5" lift to fit 37s under so I'd like a driveshaft that can accommodate that so I don't have to buy twice.

EDIT: Looks like Coast is now discontinued? Can't find their stuff anywhere (albeit i haven't looked that hard ;) ) Also, I think I'm leaning towards and Adams driveshaft since it comes with the yokes and Spicer hardware (gonna make sure its non-greaseable).

Are there any other better options? From a quick googling session it seems like Tom Woods, Coast, and Adams are all good options. I don't want to spend a fortune but I want something that will last and will accommodate a wide range of heights since i plan on getting a higher lift in the future.

ah! Coast is now driveshaft pro, well that sucks. looks like they still sell jeep ds, but need to give them a call, their website lacks.

Adams is good, a lot of guys run them.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

I have an Adams 1350. After talking with Mr. Adams about my needs I felt really good about my purchase decision. During installation I had a question about pinion nut tightening which was immediately answered by their head installer. Top notch customer service! Best of all my driveshaft was free, just had to buy a really expensive T-shirt! [emoji6]

Coop

Caught the Bug

You don't need a 4-5 inch lift for 37s. 3 inch will work with some trimming and bump stops. BTW I run an Adams 1350 and I am happy with this DS. Top quality!

Top Bottom