Bump stop issues

deezus

I'm having bump stop issues up front, RK Xfactor 3.5" 37" Nitto TGs and Fox reservoir long travel shocks. Shocks are bottoming out. I'm running game stock uppers and 3" lowers. My question is would Kings work here as I would be able to adjust them. My other question is if I go 4" on the bottom are there better, stronger uppers available and whoages themost? Ty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

qwasin

Are you sure they are bottoming out... Those shocks should have a 17" compressed length, 3" bump stop should be plenty.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm having bump stop issues up front, RK Xfactor 3.5" 37" Nitto TGs and Fox reservoir long travel shocks. Shocks are bottoming out. I'm running game stock uppers and 3" lowers. My question is would Kings work here as I would be able to adjust them. My other question is if I go 4" on the bottom are there better, stronger uppers available and whoages themost? Ty

getting adjustable shocks won't solve your overall issue. Did you cycle your suspension?

exactly which Fox shocks are you running and are you sure it's the correct shock for your application.

King Shock compressed length is also about 17+/- for a 3.5" lift

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it is, but as you know some lifts give more lift so it's best to cycle and make sure not only the shocks don't bottom but that other components don't hit - if you have a raised track bar bracket it may hit before the shock bottoms out

If the lift you're running yield more lift, you should be running bump stop extensions that reflect as much. Preventing the bottoming of shocks and rubbing of components is a perk - not a purpose of bump stop extensions. Preventing the over compression of your coils is.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

deezus

If the lift you're running yield more lift, you should be running bump stop extensions that reflect as much. Preventing the bottoming of shocks and rubbing of components is a perk - not a purpose of bump stop extensions. Preventing the over compression of your coils is.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs
Ok so my lift yields almost 4". RK advised me to use the Fox shocks for 4-6" lifts because of the flex. In the back I'm running 4" bumps and it's perfect, we'll was until the Evo Rockstar but I'm gonna install some Synergy upper shock brackets. The front I'm running 3" bumps and shocks bottom out, barely, but i still feel th em hit.I have stock upper fronts. Imean gonna try some 4" up front, or maybe upper extensions. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ddays

Hooked
Ok so my lift yields almost 4". RK advised me to use the Fox shocks for 4-6" lifts because of the flex. In the back I'm running 4" bumps and it's perfect, we'll was until the Evo Rockstar but I'm gonna install some Synergy upper shock brackets. The front I'm running 3" bumps and shocks bottom out, barely, but i still feel th em hit.I have stock upper fronts. Imean gonna try some 4" up front, or maybe upper extensions. Any suggestions? Thanks

Eddie made an important point as I was re-reading his post. What do your coils look like at full compression? Are they close to overcompressing? If not I'd check the shocks again...

jeeeep

Hooked
Eddie made an important point as I was re-reading his post. What do your coils look like at full compression? Are they close to overcompressing? If not I'd check the shocks again...

this ^^ I left that out of my cycle your axle comment which is the most important reason to do it - you could be damaging more than just your shocks.

once you cycle your suspension for proper bump stop height, you can measure what your shock compression/length should be.

do a search how to measure for shocks, there is a lot of info available

chitown35

LOSER
If the lift you're running yield more lift, you should be running bump stop extensions that reflect as much.

I've don't think I've heard about this before, why does ride height affect how far a coil should be able to compress? Or do I misunderstand you?

WJCO

Meme King
I've don't think I've heard about this before, why does ride height affect how far a coil should be able to compress? Or do I misunderstand you?

He's referring to height of lift vs bump stop extensions. If you have a 3 inch lift, you should run 3 inch bump stop extensions. If you have a 4 inch lift, you should run 4 inch bump stop extensions. This is a guideline but is pretty standard on lift kits. Bump stops keep coils from over-compressing and can also prevent tire and fender damages depending on your setup.

WJCO

Meme King
How could I compress my suspension?

If you have big rocks around, you can just drive one tire up on a rock and get out and measure. If at home, jack vehicle up as high as you can and put stands under the frame. Then put your jack under each side of the axle, one side at a time, and jack it up until you see the vehicle barely lift off of the jack stand on that same side. Then see where you are at with the bump stops.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just measure from the top of the bump stop extension all the way up to the bottom of the yellow jounce stop cup. Technically, at a full and really hard bump, that's about where you'd be at. Compare that number to the amount of shock shaft that's showing.

Top Bottom