Brakes seem to squeak after lift and tires out on

Maverick14

I just had a 3.5 lift and 35 inch tires put on. Now my brakes seem to squeak without pushing the brake. When I push the brake down a little the squeak stops. Also I did just have my axle seals replaced in the front. I wonder if they did something to the brakes. Any ideas or solutions would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AF2CHP

Throw some brake cleaner on the brake disc's. Maybe some grease got on them during the install.

jeeeep

Hooked
check that the brake dust shields aren't bent and rubbing, check that the clips are in properly.

Did you clean up the caliper/piston while you had them off? did you apply new grease on the clips and caliper slide pins? always a good idea to give the calipers a once over while they're off.

also check that you didn't pick up a rock and it's stuck somewhere between the dust shield and disc

Maverick14

Ok I checked the shields and the seems ok. I pulled on them a little bit to get better clearance. Still squeaking. Ill give the brake cleaner a try this weekend when I can get time to pull the wheels off. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your shafts would have needed to be pulled in order to install seals. To do that, the brakes had to come off. More than likely, one of the guide clips has shifted over and is now making contact with the rotor. You should be able to see this. If it is that, you can push it back with a screw driver but you'll also want to bend the tab down that should have held it in place.

Maverick14

Thanks for the info, I checked the clips and they all seem to be in the right position. I tried pulling them back anyways and they wouldn't move any further back.

WJCO

Meme King
.....I checked the back ones even though I didn't think it was related. Would not having a guide in one of the calipers cause squeak?

If the pad is hanging up and not resting right, part of it could be lightly touching the rotor while you're driving. You could always have someone drive it in a parking lot while you walked a long side of it, that may identify what wheel it is coming from.

Maverick14

**UPDATE** went down to advance auto and picked up a brake pad kit. New clips in. Test drove it, No more squeak. Thanks to wayoflife for pointing me in the right direction. [emoji106]

Top Bottom