Modifying an AEV lift?

podge

Ok… back when I was greener to the Jeep than I am now, I had the dealer install a new AEV dualsport 3.5”/4.5” lift. They said if they do that lift it wouldn’t void my warranty so I paid too much and let them do it. Seems all I got out of the deal was some springs, brackets and shocks. Feel like I’ve been took…. But it is what it is and moving on… So, my question to you all is this:.. should I just chuck it and get a better lift package installed? Or just keep what I got and improve on it?... Like, what would it take to modify it to a 4.5” so I can run 37”s comfortably? Also, I think a better set of control arms and maybe HD steering system components.. and down the road, replace the shocks?.. I want to save a bit of money and not buy the same thing twice unless it is wise to do so.. I am also wanting to upgrade to new duratrac axles. (Daily driver, want to do a bit of wheeling a couple times a month, but drive mostly highway miles… rubicon 4 door, 2016.).. just want some beefier parts.. but only the ones that make sense to do right at this moment.

Brute

Hooked
Ok… back when I was greener to the Jeep than I am now, I had the dealer install a new AEV dualsport 3.5”/4.5” lift. They said if they do that lift it wouldn’t void my warranty so I paid too much and let them do it. Seems all I got out of the deal was some springs, brackets and shocks. Feel like I’ve been took…. But it is what it is and moving on… So, my question to you all is this:.. should I just chuck it and get a better lift package installed? Or just keep what I got and improve on it?... Like, what would it take to modify it to a 4.5” so I can run 37”s comfortably? Also, I think a better set of control arms and maybe HD steering system components.. and down the road, replace the shocks?.. I want to save a bit of money and not buy the same thing twice unless it is wise to do so.. I am also wanting to upgrade to new duratrac axles. (Daily driver, want to do a bit of wheeling a couple times a month, but drive mostly highway miles… rubicon 4 door, 2016.).. just want some beefier parts.. but only the ones that make sense to do right at this moment.

You should be able to run 37's on a 4.5" AEV lift without any problems...save your money for tires and a regear...and perhaps a Synergy track bar/steering sector shaft brace

japatton

I'm running an AEV 3.5" and couldn't be happier. I live in SE South Dakota in the middle of flat corn country. I only get to wheel a few times a year, so a quality on-road ride was important as it's my DD. I'm actually making my first trip to Moab tomorrow and will give it a good run. I'm also looking to upgrade suspension arms and shocks in the future, but keep the AEV springs and lower control arm brackets in place. I'm also thinking about running 37's when the 35's wear out. Anyone else running an AEV frankenlift?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^ Huh? You are going to keep the crappy AEV drop bracket but also move to better control arms? :thinking: That makes zero sense.

OP, to each their own. I see zero point in lifting a vehicle to put bigger tires on and get better clearance while at the same time putting drop brackets on that negate the clearance gains and have proven themselves to bend and flex sideways.:eek: Personally, I'd swap out a lot of what you have.

(And btw, the dealership lied to you about the warranty. They are not Chrysler and they cannot unilaterally decide what Chrysler will or will not warranty. Do some research on the Mag.-Moss Warranty Act and it will make you a better informed consumer in the future.)

WJCO

Meme King
I agree with Sharkey on all of this. Also, what are Duratrac axles? Did you mean Dynatrac?

Basscat

I wouldn't sell that lift too short. It's not a bad lift especially if you're a 50/50 guy wheelin/daily driver. You should have zero issues running 37s with that lift. You might want to beef up the steering box area (sector shaft) with the Synergy brace mentioned earlier but it should work just fine for you and handle quite well on the road.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I wouldn't sell that lift too short. It's not a bad lift especially if you're a 50/50 guy wheelin/daily driver. You should have zero issues running 37s with that lift. You might want to beef up the steering box area (sector shaft) with the Synergy brace mentioned earlier but it should work just fine for you and handle quite well on the road.

Welcome to WAL. Drop brackets aren't ideal for lots of reasons. Even less so if you're keeping them on and then getting aftermarket arms on top of it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Was waiting on the edge of my seat for your reply. Glad you are talking from experience and not just because you have a rig that's decked out with AEV gear.

Since it will be missed - insert sarcasm.

Basscat

Thanks very much!

Agree. If you're going with aftermarket arms dump the drop brackets. Once you start chopping up a lift kit there are certain components that no longer work as intended. Just suggesting you perhaps keep the lift and invest elsewhere for now.

japatton

^^ Huh? You are going to keep the crappy AEV drop bracket but also move to better control arms? :thinking: That makes zero sense.

OP, to each their own. I see zero point in lifting a vehicle to put bigger tires on and get better clearance while at the same time putting drop brackets on that negate the clearance gains and have proven themselves to bend and flex sideways.:eek: Personally, I'd swap out a lot of what you have.

(And btw, the dealership lied to you about the warranty. They are not Chrysler and they cannot unilaterally decide what Chrysler will or will not warranty. Do some research on the Mag.-Moss Warranty Act and it will make you a better informed consumer in the future.)

Man Sharky, I understand I took a risk admitting I'm running an AEV lift and not EVO, but did someone at AEV date your sister? Like I said, it's a daily driver and there are obviously pros and cons regarding the brackets. I drove a couple of different lifted Jeeps before I decided on the AEV. But, I happen to not like fighting bump steer over every crack in the road. If I lived closer to more trails my choice most likely would have been different. This isn't a trailer queen as I drive it to and from the trails. It's my daily driver, so some of the 7+ trails I may not run so I feel I can sacrifice the minimal amount of ground clearance the brackets give up.

The lift performs well in the Black Hills of western SD and I'll give it a workout in Moab. I may change my mind on the brackets or swap them out for Ranchos or another beefier brand. Who knows? It's a work in progress.

TFD

Man Sharky, I understand I took a risk admitting I'm running an AEV lift and not EVO, but did someone at AEV date your sister? Like I said, it's a daily driver and there are obviously pros and cons regarding the brackets. I drove a couple of different lifted Jeeps before I decided on the AEV. But, I happen to not like fighting bump steer over every crack in the road. If I lived closer to more trails my choice most likely would have been different. This isn't a trailer queen as I drive it to and from the trails. It's my daily driver, so some of the 7+ trails I may not run so I feel I can sacrifice the minimal amount of ground clearance the brackets give up.

The lift performs well in the Black Hills of western SD and I'll give it a workout in Moab. I may change my mind on the brackets or swap them out for Ranchos or another beefier brand. Who knows? It's a work in progress.

Can you list the pros for the drop brackets?

japatton

Thanks very much!

Agree. If you're going with aftermarket arms dump the drop brackets. Once you start chopping up a lift kit there are certain components that no longer work as intended. Just suggesting you perhaps keep the lift and invest elsewhere for now.

I figured that since I had already spent the money, I'd stick with it as long as I could. I would eventually move up to the Evo Double D or similar as I grow into the new job and can take a little more vacation.

WJCO

Meme King

I read Sharkey's post as having nothing to do with AEV but rather why you would keep the brackets and then add high quality adjustable arms. If you get different arms, get rid of the drop brackets. And neither have to do with bump steer.

japatton

Can you list the pros for the drop brackets?

I feel that the AEV lift had the best overall handling. This was a major factor in my decision. I feel the off-road capability fell within my acceptable trail levels I'd be tackling. For comparison, I drove a JKUR with a Mopar/Teraflex(?)/Fox lift and thought it was a little softer than the AEV, but didn't have the road manners. I can't remember the other lift, RE I think. I was seriously considering Metal Cloak and RK but settled on AEV. In hind site, I kind of wish I had gone with MC or RK route, which is the reason I asked about upgrading arms. I guess if the brackets didn't produce results, other reputable "hard-core" lift manufacturers wouldn't be producing them, too.

Heavyhaul07

Run what you have now replace upgrade as things wear out or break. Start saving your dollars for what you want in the future. You shouldn't have a problem running 37" with that lift. My need to do a small amount of trimming.

TFD

Ok I understand where you're coming from. There are so many options out there, it's hard to figure it all out. This forum made my decision on a lift much easier to figure out. It seems a lot of companies sell unnecessary parts to hype up their lifts.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

First, I don't have a sister. Second, I don't recall saying a thing about EVO. Third, it would be nonsensical and a waste of money to run adjustable aftermarket lower control arms at the same time as running the AEV drop bracket. Fourth, what difference does it make whether your rig is a daily driver and one that is driven to the trails and back? A properly set up suspension is effective on and off the road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom