Transfer case slack!

g_dubb

Ok I have recently installed a 4" lift with 37" coopers. I began to noticed that now when I'm in a stopped position and start to take off, I hear/ feel a knocking noise. I then began to bird dog the shit out of the front end. After checking every bolt I came to the conclusion that the noise is coming from where the yoke located. I lifted the front end up with a floor jack so that the tires could spin freely. When I rotate the tire back and forth the knocking is quite noticeable. The yoke doesn't have play/ slack in and out, just side to side. Has anyone ran into this problem before? If so, can someone explain to me what's going on with my tcase? Also I replaced my stock flange with a yoke from Adams drive shaft. I torqued the yoke nut to 110 Lbs.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
You torqued the nut at the t-case to 110 ft/lbs? I believe it needs to be a lot more than that. I seem to recall something closer to 150 ft/lbs. might help your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Torque on the t-case flange should be 160. But it sounds like what you're describing is just normal gear mesh. It's not very tight. But of course I don't know how much play you have and I'm assuming by side to side you mean rotational correct?

g_dubb

Torque on the t-case flange should be 160. But it sounds like what you're describing is just normal gear mesh. It's not very tight. But of course I don't know how much play you have and I'm assuming by side to side you mean rotational correct?

Yes it is rotational slack. Thank you for clarifying. I will torque the nut to 160ft lbs but can you please explain to me how torquing a splined yoke to 160 will fix rotational slack. That should only help with in and out slack, correct?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Yes it is rotational slack. Thank you for clarifying. I will torque the nut to 160ft lbs but can you please explain to me how torquing a splined yoke to 160 will fix rotational slack. That should only help with in and out slack, correct?

It wouldn't. I was simply stating what the correct torque should be based on the previous posts. 1-2" rotational slack measured where and how? Even if there was a transfer case problem, your front diff backlash shouldn't allow that much movement.

g_dubb

I took my front drive shaft off and rotated the yoke by hand. I did not mark and measure from start to finish of rotational slack. I just eyeballed it. So 1.5"/2" might be too much. I started to worry after I found out it was the tcase. When I get home tonight I will mark and measure both right and left rotational slack for an exact measurement.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I have a similar experience.

I started getting a clunking sound that I thought was the rear diff. It sounded like a worn out u joint (but I still have stock drive shafts). I asked the dealer to look at it, and they thought it was the tranny. On the way to an appointment at the dealer the next day to have it checked out by the tranny guy, my transfer case went out. I only drove it 100 feet from the house before it broke and less than 3 miles after leaving the dealer.

They dropped a new transfer case and a new input shaft in it. They said the input shaft splines were stripped.

This was with about 28,000 EASY miles on the Jeep.

It is starting to make the noise again unfortunately. With only a couple thousand more miles.

Top Bottom