The utility of a snorkel

sblackf1

I am curious as to the real utility of a snorkel. (i've searched google and several jeep forums).
As far as performance enhancement or degradation the change (if any) is marginal.
I live in northern new mexico and frequent dusty moab often. I rarely hit water or mud and avoid it if possible.

I think they look cool but I'm looking for evidence of the utility aspect of a snorkel.
I'm not interested in promoting one brand over another, this is generally speaking.

Would a snorkel offer any cleaner air sitting at the top of my JK or would I be asking for more dust?
If cost was not an issue for a snorkel, would you recommend one or not... and why? evidence and opinions welcome.

J

JKDream

I am curious as to the real utility of a snorkel. (i've searched google and several jeep forums).
As far as performance enhancement or degradation the change (if any) is marginal.
I live in northern new mexico and frequent dusty moab often. I rarely hit water or mud and avoid it if possible.

I think they look cool but I'm looking for evidence of the utility aspect of a snorkel.
I'm not interested in promoting one brand over another, this is generally speaking.

Would a snorkel offer any cleaner air sitting at the top of my JK or would I be asking for more dust?
If cost was not an issue for a snorkel, would you recommend one or not... and why? evidence and opinions welcome.

In my opinion, you'd be better off with the factory air box for dusty environments.
It is quite sealed in the motor bay with the actual intake vent being routed against the hood, opposed to the intake being in the flow of dust.
Out here, it's dusty as shit, driving behind someone you are lucky to see twenty feet in-front of you. I haven't had any issues with the factory filter.
Just get a re-usable filter that you can give a quick rinse after a couple trips.

JDalcour

Many people in Africa use them for dust alone. Alot of people think others only drive the same places as them so a mod is soooo "dumb" to them lol.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I am one of the few people around here that likes the look of SOME snorkels. The problem is that snorkels rob Jeeps of much needed horsepower. From a practical perspective, if you like to be stupid in mud/water then I also think snorkels make a lot of sense. As for dust, I'm not sure whether snorkels provide noticeable benefits.

trailraider

I'm of the opinion . if I'm in something I need a snorkel for, I more then likely have big issues and it will more then likely not really help the situation.

they were originally designed for vehicle traveling in caravans across the outback in Australia. They kept the air intake above the thick dust. Crossing water was a secondary thought...mostly because when they were conceived, just about all off road vehicles has exposed distributors, points, low exhaust etc.

Just like anything, they originally served a purpose for those who needed them, but now they are for whoever likes the look of them and can justify the purchase!

They are not a ram-air system. They are not a cool air system.

Frydaddy

What about Prefilters? I can see them being useful in dry climates in-line with the stock filter box. These clear ones use a vortex to fling the dust out of the air. You see them mostly on farm tractors.

007_rugged_ridge_prefilter_xhd_snorkel.jpg

Rugged Ridge sells a set that puts it on the top of their snorkel. I would like to do something like this guy and mount it low by the cowl. This can also remove the issue of water ingestion from the coolant fan slinging the water right into the intake.
3.07.011-6.jpg

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
What about Prefilters? I can see them being useful in dry climates in-line with the stock filter box. These clear ones use a vortex to fling the dust out of the air. You see them mostly on farm tractors.

View attachment 227793

Rugged Ridge sells a set that puts it on the top of their snorkel. I would like to do something like this guy and mount it low by the cowl. This can also remove the issue of water ingestion from the coolant fan slinging the water right into the intake.
View attachment 227794

you brewing coffee?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I'm of the opinion . if I'm in something I need a snorkel for, I more then likely have big issues and it will more then likely not really help the situation.

Locally, most are used as fashion statements I suspect. Chromed rims, not a scuff to be seen, with a schnorkel. If the mall parking lot ever floods, they'll be all set<g>.

More seriously, I share @trailraider 's view. If it's deep enough to need one, I'm looking for some place else to be. At a Jamboree this past May, one gent did have the dust pre-filter on his mangled by a tree.

Its a very good, very niche requirement I suspect.

swampdog

View attachment 227793

View attachment 227794

I agree adding a pre-filter would help with dust ingestion. But, is it worth the $500 or whatever a snorkel is, plus having to replace 2 filters? My vote is no. Just be dilligent and replace the stock filter frequently (I do mine every 10,000 miles or if it looks filthy before then) and it will be fine.

WW_Svi

Prefilters sound good and all but they only work so well, once enough dirt is in there then the canister fills up. Look at bagless vacuums, the air lines going to the vacuum still get dirty and dusty.

Tractors use these but they also have an air line that goes to the exhaust to help blow out the dirt to keep the filter cleaner longer. But their intake filters still get very dirty.

Manufacturers do a lot of testing and typically do a great job on getting cool clean air to the engine. If you run in a dirty environment, then cleaning the filter is part of it. Either get a reusable filter like k&n or loosely knock off the stock filter and replace it when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sblackf1

if you like to be stupid in mud/water then I also think snorkels make a lot of sense.

I find being stupid and making sense at the same time funny. Whenever possible, I avoid water and mud.

So from the information I've gathered, a pre-filter may help keep dust out really well but the engine housing protect it well-enough?.. I guess unless you live in the sahara maybe.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
they were originally designed for vehicle traveling in caravans across the outback in Australia. They kept the air intake above the thick dust. Crossing water was a secondary thought...mostly because when they were conceived, just about all off road vehicles has exposed distributors, points, low exhaust etc.

Really? The Aussies came up with the snorkel before our military needed them and for dust??

dunstan74

Just like anything, they originally served a purpose for those who needed them, but now they are for whoever likes the look of them and can justify the purchase!

They are not a ram-air system. They are not a cool air system.
Wouldn't the dust rising to snorkel level be alot finner and more likely to be ingested by the engine? If so it seems pointless if thats its intended use.

Sent from my SM-G900I using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom