Centering the Axle

LarryG

I understand that you can move/adjust your axle IF you have an adjustable track bar. I have the factory track bar and after install of the PR60s, my axle is 1/2 inch over to the driver side, so I would need to move it 1/4 inch to be centered. Is that an "acceptable" deviation, or should I look at purchasing an adjustable? Thanks.

Ddays

Hooked
I don't think a 1/4" is gonna matter. I was running an RK bar but took the POS off & re-installed the stock one. I honestly didn't measure after. I can appreciate you stressing all these details but I think it's just that. Relax & go wheel your jeep when you get your driveshafts! See how it goes!

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

LarryG

I don't think a 1/4" is gonna matter. I was running an RK bar but took the POS off & re-installed the stock one. I honestly didn't measure after. I can appreciate you stressing all these details but I think it's just that. Relax & go wheel your jeep when you get your driveshafts! See how it goes!

They will deliver tomorrow! I need to have a minor adjustment to the exhaust before I can install the front, but Im getting close!

jmatta33

I have the same issue on my stock axles, but to a much larger degree. My stock front is about 2" over on the driver side and the only thing I have done is the EVO leveling kit. This doesn't seem nearly as severe as my issue but knowing how OCD I am, I would probably get the adjustable track bar anyway to get it perfectly centered. Following this to see what some of the experts have to say...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your axle will ALWAYS be a bit off one way or another depending on how many people you have in your Jeep, how much gear you have or if you're totally unloaded and have your doors off. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to a 4-link setup with a track bar. If you're not already running track bar relocation brackets, you should be. Up front, you will need to make sure to run a drag link flip as well. If you are and are seeing this minor shift, I wouldn't worry about it unless it just drives you nuts to look at. The shift will have ZERO bearing on how your Jeep handles and performs.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Your axle will ALWAYS be a bit off one way or another depending on how many people you have in your Jeep, how much gear you have or if you're totally unloaded and have your doors off. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to a 4-link setup with a track bar. If you're not already running track bar relocation brackets, you should be. Up front, you will need to make sure to run a drag link flip as well. If you are and are seeing this minor shift, I wouldn't worry about it unless it just drives you nuts to look at. The shift will have ZERO bearing on how your Jeep handles and performs.

Is an adjustable track bar even necessary then if you have a 2.5-3" lift? I know the 2.5 jspec comes with a front and track bar and rear track bar brackets. Are either necessary or highly recommended? Or is it just more important to have longer front Mac's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is an adjustable track bar even necessary then if you have a 2.5-3" lift? I know the 2.5 jspec comes with a front and track bar and rear track bar brackets. Are either necessary or highly recommended? Or is it just more important to have longer front Mac's?

Not in my opinion. I still run a factory track bar on both my JK's.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Not in my opinion. I still run a factory track bar on both my JK's.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Wait, lets back up cause I'm confused. I was under the impression that a DL flip wasn't necessary until 3" of lift. So what should you do to correct caster and axle centering if your in the >2" and <3" range? Sorry for the over-abundance of questions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, lets back up cause I'm confused. I was under the impression that a DL flip wasn't necessary until 3" of lift. So what should you do to correct caster and axle centering if your in the >2" and <3" range? Sorry for the over-abundance of questions.

You are correct, a drag link flip is NOT needed until you get to the 3" mark. MOST 2.5"-3" coil lifts yield way more than 3" of lift.

At LESS than a true 3" of lift, your axle shift won't be enough to matter but if you're determined for it to look centered at ride height when unloaded, an adjustable track bar will get you there. Of course, once loaded up, your axle WILL shift. It's just the nature of the beast when you have a track bar mounted to your axle on one side and the frame on the other.

As far as caster goes, the best way to address that is with adjustable front lower control arms.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
You are correct, a drag link flip is NOT needed until you get to the 3" mark. MOST 2.5"-3" coil lifts yield way more than 3" of lift.

At LESS than a true 3" of lift, your axle shift won't be enough to matter but if you're determined for it to look centered at ride height when unloaded, an adjustable track bar will get you there. Of course, once loaded up, your axle WILL shift. It's just the nature of the beast when you have a track bar mounted to your axle on one side and the frame on the other.

As far as caster goes, the best way to address that is with adjustable front lower control arms.

Ok, I'm back on point now. Thank you!

LarryG

Eddie, thanks for all your help!.....and everyone else who has put up with my annoying and totally-NOOB questions. I have never worked on vehicles before (except airplanes, as I built one). I took my project out to test drive it today. With the exception of needing to bleed the brakes again, as they were a bit soft, it drove well.....still, and forever I am certain, minor tweaks and adjustments will be in my future.

The axle almost "centered" itself on its own once given the chance...only an 1/8" off now, and as Eddie said....that will be a moving target. I'm good leaving it alone. I did not do the drag link flip, as Dynatrac claims a "high steer" set up with the PR60, so I wasted some $$$ as I had them send me a replacement steering arm with the top down taper-thinking I would need to do the flip.

I am so damn pleased with this project now...so many sleepless nights thinking about what I needed to do or try in the morning. Still lots to do, but the big stuff is in the mirror. I wanted to go with a coil-over suspension, but as this is my project Jeep, and I already have a 2016 Loaded up Rubi, I just needed to be real regarding expenditures - I'm retired and money is "fixed".

I was most worried about the ABS and ESP dash lights, as the new front axle uses a "retrofit" and my lights were on....until the test drive. I utilized the AEV ProCal to set the new 538 gears, and the 37s. I also used it to "center" the steering.

WOW....very cool, and very appreciative of all the help out there. I have done this solo, except for all the help from all of you. Thank you. I am humbled, gracious, and celabrating! Back to the rest of my project.

Ddays

Hooked
Awesome - glad it all worked well. You'll be surprised, even amazed, how capable your Jeep is on the standard coil suspension. Like you I have considered a coil-over but I haven't proven to myself that I really NEED it at this point. Sure, its a WANT, but until I feel the coils limit what I want to do I'll stick with what I got. Look forward to seeing your build progress.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, thanks for all your help!.....and everyone else who has put up with my annoying and totally-NOOB questions. I have never worked on vehicles before (except airplanes, as I built one). I took my project out to test drive it today. With the exception of needing to bleed the brakes again, as they were a bit soft, it drove well.....still, and forever I am certain, minor tweaks and adjustments will be in my future.

The axle almost "centered" itself on its own once given the chance...only an 1/8" off now, and as Eddie said....that will be a moving target. I'm good leaving it alone. I did not do the drag link flip, as Dynatrac claims a "high steer" set up with the PR60, so I wasted some $$$ as I had them send me a replacement steering arm with the top down taper-thinking I would need to do the flip.

I am so damn pleased with this project now...so many sleepless nights thinking about what I needed to do or try in the morning. Still lots to do, but the big stuff is in the mirror. I wanted to go with a coil-over suspension, but as this is my project Jeep, and I already have a 2016 Loaded up Rubi, I just needed to be real regarding expenditures - I'm retired and money is "fixed".

I was most worried about the ABS and ESP dash lights, as the new front axle uses a "retrofit" and my lights were on....until the test drive. I utilized the AEV ProCal to set the new 538 gears, and the 37s. I also used it to "center" the steering.

WOW....very cool, and very appreciative of all the help out there. I have done this solo, except for all the help from all of you. Thank you. I am humbled, gracious, and celabrating! Back to the rest of my project.

It's all good. I should note that your brakes will feel a bit on the soft side. This is normal. If you think it's excessive, you'll want to have the brakes ABS bled. You'll need to have a shop with a scan tool to do this for you. But again, a pedal on the soft side is normal but your brakes will still do their job.

Hot94Z28

Curious what problems did you have with the RK one? I am running one and just want to know what to look out for in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Curious what problems did you have with the RK one? I am running one and just want to know what to look out for in the future.

I'm curious as well. I've been looking at a rk lift and curious about their stuff. BTW, glad to hear you resolved your axle centering.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Keep in mind that I did the Mid Arm kit that pushes the axle back an inch. This causes several issues you have to address. One of them is that moving the axle back then pushes your passenger side track bar mount on the body directly into the path of the bump pad on the axle. My issue with the track bar is that the bend is orientated perfectly to hit the diff cover. IMHO its a stupid design. Replacing it with the stock bar gets rid of the problem.

Hot94Z28

I'm curious as well. I've been looking at a rk lift and curious about their stuff. BTW, glad to hear you resolved your axle centering.

I am not the OP, I didn't have issues with that.

Keep in mind that I did the Mid Arm kit that pushes the axle back an inch. This causes several issues you have to address. One of them is that moving the axle back then pushes your passenger side track bar mount on the body directly into the path of the bump pad on the axle. My issue with the track bar is that the bend is orientated perfectly to hit the diff cover. IMHO its a stupid design. Replacing it with the stock bar gets rid of the problem.

I have the max travel kit, and didn't have the longer arms. I agree I have been less then satisfied with the RK lift. If I had been on a forum that actually helps with giving good advice I would of went with a different kit. I came to WAYALIFE too late, one day I think I will start changing stuff out with EVO arms, and coil springs for sure.

tanmanjk

Sorry to hear that I was thinking of the the evo leveling kit for a while, then move to the rk f
Flex kit, now hearing that puts me back at drawing up ideas again.

Top Bottom