Need help with tie rod

JeepDrum

My OEM tie rod joints are going bad and are allowing a pretty noticeable shimmy. I don't want to spend the coin on a Synergy or something like that just yet. I've been looking for a MOOG or Raybestos replacement but I haven't had much luck. Does anyone know what's going on with OEM-type replacements? The stores around here are either out of them or want like $200+ for the complete set-up. I've been considering the Ruff Stuff DIY kit also, am unsure about it. I have 17x9 wheels with 4.25 backspacing. Anyone able to offer some info?

JeepDrum

Crown automotive makes OEM replacement parts you can find their stuff on quadratec
Link for a whole new tie rod but I'm sure you could just find the joints too.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56118_0024.htm?gclid=CLH6joH97s8CFQ2KfgodvNoEWw

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
That's the idea of what I'm looking for. I was under the impression the Crown joints are not greasable though. That's why I'm leaning towards MOOG or something like that. I think it is possible to replace just the joints, and use the same center link. However, I don't think I'll ever be able to get the passenger joint out without ruining everything since everything rusts around here.

Andy5160

Hooked
Crown offers entire assembly for $123 on quadratec cant go wrong. My passenger side boot got torn on the stock tie rod assembly few month ago however it was replaced under warranty but i did look into Crown if the dealer was to refuse warranty claim.
Good Luck

JeepDrum

Crown offers entire assembly for $123 on quadratec cant go wrong. My passenger side boot got torn on the stock tie rod assembly few month ago however it was replaced under warranty but i did look into Crown if the dealer was to refuse warranty claim.
Good Luck
Thanks for the info. That may be my last resort. I feel like if I'm going to replace it, I might as well get something greasable at least. The ruff stuff kit is about $150 with shipping, plus some welding and spray paint which is no big deal. I just don't know if my wheels will work with it.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I just ordered new wheels because the ruff stuff tie rod was barely rubbing the inside of my factory wheels w/ 1.5" spacers so 4.75" backspacing (only in full turn situations) your setup will have plenty of clearance. The tie rod seems very stout, I am happy with it.

JeepDrum

I just ordered new wheels because the ruff stuff tie rod was barely rubbing the inside of my factory wheels w/ 1.5" spacers so 4.75" backspacing (only in full turn situations) your setup will have plenty of clearance. The tie rod seems very stout, I am happy with it.

I had 4.5 backspace wheels with the ruff stuff tie rod and had lots of clearance.

OK that's great news guys! Did either of you have to ream the knuckle, or have any issues with the boots losing grease?

Dopey84

I'm using moog replacement ends on my tie rod and so far so good but the passenger side was ridiculous to get off and I will buy a new tie rod next time I do any replacements and upgrade to a crown setup

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
OK that's great news guys! Did either of you have to ream the knuckle, or have any issues with the boots losing grease?

I think they recently went to a different taper. Mine is probably 6 months old, and I did have to ream the knuckle. I had read several different people that did and didn't. No problems with losing grease.

JeepDrum

Now I'm on the fence as to if I should just order it and hope I don't have to drill my knuckles. Did you guys get the DIY kit or the assembled one? It looks like the assembled one is like $12ish more for shipping than the kit which kinda sucks. It's all the same parts.

Rottenbelly

Now I'm on the fence as to if I should just order it and hope I don't have to drill my knuckles. Did you guys get the DIY kit or the assembled one? It looks like the assembled one is like $12ish more for shipping than the kit which kinda sucks. It's all the same parts.

I had the diy kit. Mine is close to 4 years old now.
I plan on running it on my 2nd jeep once I get ready to do hydro assist again.

jknikos

thread revival

I just noticed that the boot on my stock tie rod end (passenger side) is torn and has a lot of play. Is it possible to replace just the end or is it pressed to the hole tie rod bar? Will i be able just to thread it out? I noticed that mooge gives a replacement part (ES3624). :thinking:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just noticed that the boot on my stock tie rod end (passenger side) is torn and has a lot of play. Is it possible to replace just the end or is it pressed to the hole tie rod bar? Will i be able just to thread it out? I noticed that mooge gives a replacement part (ES3624). :thinking:

The stock tie rod end its self is not replaceable on its own. You need to replace either the stubby end or the whole long passenger side of the tie rod to replace it.

Top Bottom