Burning rubber smell going up long hill

BobNH

Got a weird one tonight. 2008 rubicon, 42rle auto. I noticed accelerating up a long steep hill tonight there was a pretty strong burning rubber type smell on the way up that faded when we hit the flat. Thought it was someone burning garbage so didn't think much about it until another hill further on and the same result. It was dark and raining, so no way to check it at yhe time, but no smell when I got home. The only other variable is it was raining tonight. I have climbed these hills plenty and never noticed 5his smell, ao perhaps a connection. I also had not flipped off the od switch, and running stock tires.
Thanks for any help
Bob

tdougherty81

Got a weird one tonight. 2008 rubicon, 42rle auto. I noticed accelerating up a long steep hill tonight there was a pretty strong burning rubber type smell on the way up that faded when we hit the flat. Thought it was someone burning garbage so didn't think much about it until another hill further on and the same result. It was dark and raining, so no way to check it at yhe time, but no smell when I got home. The only other variable is it was raining tonight. I have climbed these hills plenty and never noticed 5his smell, ao perhaps a connection. I also had not flipped off the od switch, and running stock tires.
Thanks for any help
Bob
I had a similar situation where I was smelling a burning smell driving down the freeway. Didn't think much about it until I went to park at my office and noticed smoke coming from under the hood. After investigating I had a piece of plastic stuck on the catalytic converter, must have picked it up while driving. Tried scrapping it off but it just eventually burned off.

Sent from my SM-N920T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jegar

After my lift, I would have a burning smell when rapidly accelerating to pass, especially on an incline. I was throwing some grease from my driveshaft, onto the muffler. The dealership actually warrantied my driveshaft, on the condition my 4x4 shop add heat shield wrap where they felt the heat of the muffler and changed angle from the lift caused the problem. ("Just this once.......then it's your baby.").

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

Thanks for the responses folks. Unfortunately neither is the case. I was able to duplicate it again today with OD switch on. Tomorrow trying the same hill with it off. At the top of the hill, it was real strong, and I could smell it inside the rear wheel wells (both sides), but not up front. By the time I got home, a few miles, there was absolutely not hint. I am used to the Toyota egg smell on a hill, but this is not like that. Frustrating and perplexing, and google has turned up little relevant information.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the responses folks. Unfortunately neither is the case. I was able to duplicate it again today with OD switch on. Tomorrow trying the same hill with it off. At the top of the hill, it was real strong, and I could smell it inside the rear wheel wells (both sides), but not up front. By the time I got home, a few miles, there was absolutely not hint. I am used to the Toyota egg smell on a hill, but this is not like that. Frustrating and perplexing, and google has turned up little relevant information.

Visually check and make sure nothing is rubbing on anything. Like something that the exhaust is touching after the lift, etc.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Transmission slipping/torque converter? Check your fluid. Should be a nice reddish pinkish color & not brown. Also, make sure you check it running in neutral after 15 minutes of normal driving.

Sent from my duck blind.

BobNH

Omfg deleted wverytuing twice. I hate tis phine.

Fluid good color and amount. No lift, nothng touches. Vent connected.
Checked on hill today. Same. Popped hood, faint odor passenger side, disapated too quickly to find, and no markings anywhere to indicate plug wires burning nor anything else that would or could touch.
Can the belt get hot enough on a JK auto climbing a steep hill? It seemed fine, didnt feel hot, and no cracks at all.
Secondarily, some seem to feel it is 100% the result of "winter gas" (vehicle, not mine). It is new, hasnt been there until the last week. But this was sometuing I had never heard, only heard and witnessed the egg smell.

Kalums

Anyone think of checking the ebrake? Something similar happened to me in my 08 and the ebrake was up only 2-3 clicks.... Let me tell you I felt sheepish at the dealership that day.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom