Synergy DL flip adapter

BertaNation

I am installing the synergy drag link and adapter with no success. Drilled out my oem knuckle w to 7/8 with a step bit. Installed the synergy tre adapter. Had to give it a light tappy tap to get it in. Installing the tre did not go so well. Would not push into the adapter easily so I put an oversized socket over the top to give it a little persuasion. Got it down far enough to catch a couple threads w the castle nut. Thought I could bring the tre down w the castle nut. It's not working out. I got several turns out of it but it is definitely to tight and I am afraid that if I keep going something is going to get damaged. Any thoughts???
2015 jku
IMG_1477277157.782873.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Before you installed the insert, did you happen to put it on the tapered stud to see if it fit? Since it is sold in a kit like that, you would think that parts are all correct.

Jeepfan30

I had the same issue with mine and just kept cranking until I could get the cotter pin in. Ended up selling the whole kit and now have EVO DL flip. :thumb:

BertaNation

Before you installed the insert, did you happen to put it on the tapered stud to see if it fit? Since it is sold in a kit like that, you would think that parts are all correct.

No I didn't pre fit it. Didn't even cross my mind.
I have read a few threads about fitment issues with the adapter to the knuckle. But nothing concerning the tre to the adapter.

A.J.

Very carefully open up the hole a little more with a die grinder or dremmel. I mean very carefully. Little at a time you absolutely do not want to over bore it. I think synergy has a thicker adapter if you go too much but better to go a little at a time and test fit. It won't take much.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

Very carefully open up the hole a little more with a die grinder or dremmel. I mean very carefully. Little at a time you absolutely do not want to over bore it. I think synergy has a thicker adapter if you go too much but better to go a little at a time and test fit. It won't take much.

Do this! I had to do the same thing with mine. Just slowly stepped the hole diameter up until I could get a full nut and the cotter key installed. I thinking took me at least 5 times before everything went together like it should.

BertaNation

What kind of bit do u suggest for the dremel. I have a carbide metal cutting bit on it currently. Think that will be ok?

tdougherty81

I am installing the synergy drag link and adapter with no success. Drilled out my oem knuckle w to 7/8 with a step bit. Installed the synergy tre adapter. Had to give it a light tappy tap to get it in. Installing the tre did not go so well. Would not push into the adapter easily so I put an oversized socket over the top to give it a little persuasion. Got it down far enough to catch a couple threads w the castle nut. Thought I could bring the tre down w the castle nut. It's not working out. I got several turns out of it but it is definitely to tight and I am afraid that if I keep going something is going to get damaged. Any thoughts???
2015 jku
View attachment 228230

Insert should just drop in, if you had to hit it in the hole is not big enough.

kpig

2015 jku
View attachment 228230

It says you used a step bit to drill the knuckle. Did you finish drilling the hole straight with a regular straight bit?

kpig

If I remember right the directions say to use a step bit of your not using an adaptor if using the adaptor drill with straight 7/8 bit.

OK. In your photo, I see the top of the silver adapter. You may want to contact Synergy to clarify the instructions.

If you are using a tapered bit, then you don't need the adapter. The tapered bit is not the same as a step bit. The tapered bit is manufactured at the same taper as the end link taper. It looks like you are using an adapter.

Last edited:

sblackf1

I had the same issue with mine and just kept cranking until I could get the cotter pin in. Ended up selling the whole kit and now have EVO DL flip. :thumb:
A.J. said:

Syngery was tough for me too and I used a dremel afterward. My synergy insert was a bit loose when I was done and it still took alot of force to get the castle nut on far enough to use a cotter pin. Effort involved was significant for a little task (and it made me nervous the whole time) but, I have had zero problems with it.

rogerk93

I had the same problem and as mentioned I kept on tightening until I got the pin through. After about 6 months with it I have to say I hate synergy drag link. For some reason it gets out of alignment very easily. I have jam nut sold and the clamp bolt tightened fully and still same shit. I plan on getting the Currie down the line.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

You shouldn't be tapping it at all if drilled to the correct size. I didn't use a unibit. I kept the bit and hole lubed while I ever so slightly making the hole larger if needed. The directions clearly state not to hammer it in...it should drop in.

BertaNation

It says you used a step bit to drill the knuckle. Did you finish drilling the hole straight with a regular straight bit?

The step bit went up to 7/8. I was able to go all the way through with it. Pulled it back apart and going at it with a dremel to enlarge it a little at a time. Almost got it where I need it.

BertaNation

Syngery was tough for me too and I used a dremel afterward. My synergy insert was a bit loose when I was done and it still took alot of force to get the castle nut on far enough to use a cotter pin. Effort involved was significant for a little task (and it made me nervous the whole time) but, I have had zero problems with it.

That helps. I have used the dremel enough to were the adapter almost slips in without assistance. And it still takes quite a bit of force to tighten the nut.

BertaNation

You shouldn't be tapping it at all if drilled to the correct size. I didn't use a unibit. I kept the bit and hole lubed while I ever so slightly making the hole larger if needed. The directions clearly state not to hammer it in...it should drop in.

Guess I didn't get that far on the instructions. I just read drill to 7/8 and install the adapter.
Drilled it slow with lube and made the hole 7/8.

Journeyman

I had the same problem and as mentioned I kept on tightening until I got the pin through. After about 6 months with it I have to say I hate synergy drag link. For some reason it gets out of alignment very easily. I have jam nut sold and the clamp bolt tightened fully and still same shit. I plan on getting the Currie down the line.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've had this same problem. But it's never the drag link, it's my ball joints and unit bearing that usually cause my problems. I just replaced my bearings and ball joints and bam [emoji457] everything's perfect again.

Top Bottom