Clockspring

jeeeep

Hooked
finally got tired of waiting for the dealer to get parts in for the recall. I had ordered a replacement clockspring a few days before the recall announcement so I decided to install the clockspring in my 2010 JKU - I think this applies for all 2007-some 2011 JK's , newer JK's have easy access bolts.

while there are several videos on google regarding how to do it, the hardest part was figuring out what to use to release the clips, mopar has a tool but at $60!

an offset screwdriver will work if you have one (can't believe I couldn't find one offset at the proper angle) or this Arrow staple gun staple remover that I found for $4 and modified:

original as purchased:
arrow_orig.jpg

modified to fit the opening in back of the steering wheel and to get under the spring lock - had to narrow the sides 5/16" width and down 1" from the bend and square the tip to get it to fit the openings and slide under the clip
arrowstapleremover.jpg

I've always had horn issues since I bought it, the horn would require a lot of pushing and sometimes it would work, sometimes not - found out why. The horn wiring at the factory was not crimped properly.
Wire fell out as soon as I touched it. horn now works every time and with little pressure :thumb:
yep I could have taken it back to the dealer under warranty but every time I called to schedule an appointment they wanted me to leave it for the day(s)...nope
hornWire.jpg

view of tool guide channel - this is how the channels look that hold the clips, this is the bottom clip with the larger opening. there is a slight lip on top to keep the wire loop in place. the 2 top openings are about 5/16" wide - why I had to modify the tool
LowerHookGuide.jpg

view of how the tool fits into the channel and under the wire clip
removePic.jpg

once you've disconnected the ground wait about 15 minutes to let the system completely discharge, don't want to activate the airbag. the horn and airbag assembly is a single unit so I will refer to it as the horn

I found lifting the front end just enough so I could easily turn the steering wheel helped.

Rotate the steering wheel until one of the top access holes is at the very bottom (6 o'clock position) push the horn in, insert the tool until you can feel the spring (the 1st one is easiest to feel it moving). holding the tool in as flat in the channel and against the end of the channel refer to pic above, give the tool a twist as you lift that part of the horn. it may take you a couple of times to get the feel but once you do the other 2 are easy.

rotate the steering wheel to access the other small opening, push on the horn but there will be little movement, insert tool and twist as you lift that part of the horn.

rotate so the steering is centered - large access hole back to bottom and do the same thing.

don't pull to hard to lift the horn off, the airbag wires are not that long. once you disconnect the airbag, make sure your wheels are straight and lower the jeep back on the ground so the steering wheel does not move as easily.

the rest of the procedure can be found online, it took less than 30 minutes once I figured out how to make the tool fit and work.

hope it helps anyone that needs to replace their clockspring

Top Bottom