Which Fox Shocks?

Rjmancia

Hey guys... new here and loving the forum so far. I have a 2015 Anvil Gray Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport! It's lifted on new Pro Comp Suspension... it's a 4" lift. I am getting some bad death wobble when hitting bumps etc and steering but sluggish on the road.... feels like it's floating... wanting to get that fixed. I am running 35s Fuels.... wanting to change the Shocks to some Fox Racing ones but not sure which to go with? Any help would be appreciated thank u.

IMG_1477322276.932326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Shocks will NOT fix what you're feeling. If you're really getting death wobble, you most likely have a loose track bar especially being that your Jeep is so new. The "floaty" feeling you have is most likely being caused by a lack of positive caster.

Rjmancia

Well that's good to know bud... I appreciate your input... I will go get this checked at my local shop. Also front tires are wearing down pretty unevenly so you may be right for sure.

WJCO

Meme King
Are you experiencing death wobble for sure? DW is violent and uncontrollable and you pretty much have to stop the vehicle for it to stop shaking. If not, then you should also see if your lift came with any kind of steering correction like drag link or track bar modification, the two bars should be parallel.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So that we're on the same page, death wobble is the sudden and violent uncontrollable shaking of your entire Jeep and it will only go away when you slow down. A bad shimmy in the steering wheel is NOT death wobble. If you're getting the later, you most likely just have tires that are out of balance.

EDIT: LOL!! Looks like WJCO beat me.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Hey guys... new here and loving the forum so far. I have a 2015 Anvil Gray Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport! It's lifted on new Pro Comp Suspension... it's a 4" lift. I am getting some bad death wobble when hitting bumps etc and steering but sluggish on the road.... feels like it's floating... wanting to get that fixed. I am running 35s Fuels.... wanting to change the Shocks to some Fox Racing ones but not sure which to go with? Any help would be appreciated thank u.

View attachment 228262

At 4" of lift, you are likely in need of adjustable lower front control arms to correct caster. I would also look into a front drive shaft at that height if you plan to go off road. Also, as stated above by Eddie, ensure your track bar is tightened to the proper torque and that all of the components replaced were tightened correctly. Shocks will not fix any of this.
I have owned and ran both Pro Comp suspensions and Fox shocks (although not at the same time) and can tell you that I would not want that combo unless you like a stiff, harsh ride. Good luck with your issues and keep us updated.

WJCO

Meme King
So that we're on the same page, death wobble is the sudden and violent uncontrollable shaking of your entire Jeep and it will only go away when you slow down. A bad shimmy in the steering wheel is NOT death wobble. If you're getting the later, you most likely just have tires that are out of balance.

EDIT: LOL!! Looks like WJCO beat me.

Lol. At least he's getting congruent information.

shortyokc

looks like your running fuel tires as well, which for me was nothing but problems. i had a shimmy from day 1 at 50-55 mph and smoothed out above 60 and below 45mph. the tires were balanced several times including road force balanced by several different shops. driving very slow you could feel the tires wobbling up and down like i had oval wheels. i ended up finding the tires were out of round severely, lubed and tried re-seating bead and still no luck. set up a dial indicator on the rim and rotated to verify centric with the hub and had less than .020 in variance so i know the wheels are fine, spec i found for wheel manufactures was .040 in. it got worse when i flipped my drag link since it was more horizontal and was pushing more sideways than up and down. find a buddy to swap tires/wheels to make sure before you drive yourself crazy.

shortyokc

i also had the 4 inch procomp lift which would rattle your teeth out here in oklahoma roads, i ended up swapping everything little by little, i got the evo plush ride coils, fox 2.0 performance because of the aluminum body and a list of other parts until all the procomp was gone, no regrets other than having procomp in the 1st place

Rjmancia

Hahaha! Awesome information guys! Yeah well it looks like it's not the death wobble but like mentioned above a "shimmy/shake" of the wheel.... kinda annoying but yes I will get tires rebalanced and start with that for sure. Lol

Rjmancia

At 4" of lift, you are likely in need of adjustable lower front control arms to correct caster. I would also look into a front drive shaft at that height if you plan to go off road. Also, as stated above by Eddie, ensure your track bar is tightened to the proper torque and that all of the components replaced were tightened correctly. Shocks will not fix any of this.
I have owned and ran both Pro Comp suspensions and Fox shocks (although not at the same time) and can tell you that I would not want that combo unless you like a stiff, harsh ride. Good luck with your issues and keep us updated.

Yeah that's another thing I have noticed that the suspension is stiff as hell hahaha!

I believe it is all stock other than the end links, Shocks, and springs.... I did notice while changing the exhaust that the driveshaft bushing is gone... there is grease sprinkled everywhere under it... looks like after putting the lift kit the idiots forgot to put a spacer for the drive shaft... -___-

Top Bottom