Hot oil light on with transmission cooler installed

JeepNfish20

So I have a 2011 3.8l V6 2 door JK which I got used about a year ago. When i first bought it and went wheeling the hot oil light came on. So I did some research and found that the transmission cooler should solve the problem. I got the B&M transmission cooler which seemed pretty popular with other jeepers. Yesterday I was doing some wheeling and my hot oil light came on again with the cooler installed. What could be the issue now?
Thanks everyone

jeeeep

Hooked
So I have a 2011 3.8l V6 2 door JK which I got used about a year ago. When i first bought it and went wheeling the hot oil light came on. So I did some research and found that the transmission cooler should solve the problem. I got the B&M transmission cooler which seemed pretty popular with other jeepers. Yesterday I was doing some wheeling and my hot oil light came on again with the cooler installed. What could be the issue now?
Thanks everyone

have you checked the transmission fluid level and did you add enough transmission fluid to make up for the capacity of the cooler?

Also make sure the hoses are connected in the proper flow direction

jeff_in_rc

Were you in 4 high by chance? If yes there is your problem, should be in 4 low.

A couple of the guys I wheel with have the same problem with the JK's in 4 high, once they put it in 4 low end of problem.

JeepNfish20

Yep 4 high. I'll try low out next time and see what happens.

Were you in 4 high by chance? If yes there is your problem, should be in 4 low.

A couple of the guys I wheel with have the same problem with the JK's in 4 high, once they put it in 4 low end of problem.

JeepNfish20

I'll have to check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it was set up correctly. Had a buddy install it and we added more fluid afterwards but that was awhile back.
have you checked the transmission fluid level and did you add enough transmission fluid to make up for the capacity of the cooler?

Also make sure the hoses are connected in the proper flow direction

tanmanjk

+1 on checking and possibly changing fluid. Like above posted if you didn't add fluid to the system to take in account the cooler then that would cause that signal to be triggered.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

Once you get the hot oil light it's best to change the fluid.
4 high is almost always going to get a hot oil light climbing in the mtns. 4 lo will help cool it back down.
I watched my tranny temps on the torque app on my 07 auto.
Before I changed the fluid after the hot oil light the temps climbed quickly.
Changing the fluid helped with mine and I added a small fan to my cooler to help.

Last edited:

JeepNfish20

Do you guys recommend to get a complete flush or just change the fluid and filter ? I checked the fluid and its pretty black, my jeep also has 48,205 miles

WJCO

Meme King
Do you guys recommend to get a complete flush or just change the fluid and filter ? I checked the fluid and its pretty black, my jeep also has 48,205 miles

Always check with manufacturer, however from my experience, if you can do a flush every 30k-50k do it, but if you've gone a lot longer than that, flushes can cause issues with transmissions once the fluid is that dirty. A drain and fill is better at that point, but a drain and fill doesn't get all the fluid out, a lot stays in torque converter and other passages.

jeeeep

Hooked
If it's that black that fluid must have gotten burned up, as mentioned doing a complete flush may bring out other issues. X2 at this point I would do a fluid and filter change run it for 5000 miles and check it if you have no issues and it doesn't look black then I would run it and change it at 10,000 miles.
As a general rule I run my Jeep enough and with the larger tires and everything I flush it once a year.
If I ever have the hot light come on I'll change the fluid as soon as possible afterwards.

Top Bottom