Dual + Single Steering Stabilizers?

Jeepster nOOb

I just installed Bilstein dual dampeners and noticed that it didn't conflict with my single pro comp shock. I thought, "2 shocks is better than one...but 3 shocks!!!! Now that's smth."

I'm not auto-mechanic or an off road vehicle buff, so I don't really know if this could be a bad thing. But I know enough to ask the question, at least.

My current set up (see pics below):

Is this detrimental? ...should I remove the single shock? ...or will this prolong the life of my duals? ...could care less about the cheap pro comp shock

IMG_1477449749.047900.jpg

IMG_1477449811.041332.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
remove the double shock setup, all you need is the stock steering stabilizer.

Why did you install a double setup? are you having issues?

Jeepster nOOb

remove the double shock setup, all you need is the stock steering stabilizer.

Why did you install a double setup? are you having issues?

Yes, major issues! Replaced dang near everything that has to do with the steering ( e.g. ball joints, drag link, tie rod) to get rid of the death wobble. I had an alignment done after each part was installed because I didn't do it all at once.
Read all the reviews and checked all my bolts and even asked 4wheelparts to double check my work (they installed the drag link and tie rod anyways). Everything was tight.

When I hit a manhole, I wobble. It's like clockwork. Always happens on the same pothole. Otherwise, I might get it driving down flat pavement (I think from tire vibrations). I never get it above 50mph.

Last tech I talked to told me it was the tires. I didn't believe him until I heard the same thing from this AEV employee I ran into at the Texas State Fair. He said my aggressive 35's were at the end of their life (I have 20k + miles). So I decided to get duals instead of new tires, for now.

Journeyman

I think there's room for a fourth one [emoji848]maybe check out your unit bearings [emoji33]
Also it's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like your track bar has been raised but your drag link was not flipped. They look off, they should be parallel.

Then it's right back to the death wobble, because nobody seems to have the ability to find the true issue. Not 4wheelparts or the dealership. I was at my wits end and just want to be done with it.

Your only masking the problem. Find what is causing your DW like a loose track bar mounting bolt.

Steering stabilizers will do absolutely nothing to actually fix the problem.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes, major issues! Replaced dang near everything that has to do with the steering ( e.g. ball joints, drag link, tie rod) to get rid of the death wobble. I had an alignment done after each part was installed because I didn't do it all at once.
Read all the reviews and checked all my bolts and even asked 4wheelparts to double check my work (they installed the drag link and tie rod anyways). Everything was tight.

When I hit a manhole, I wobble. It's like clockwork. Always happens on the same pothole. Otherwise, I might get it driving down flat pavement (I think from tire vibrations). I never get it above 50mph.

Last tech I talked to told me it was the tires. I didn't believe him until I heard the same thing from this AEV employee I ran into at the Texas State Fair. He said my aggressive 35's were at the end of their life (I have 20k + miles). So I decided to get duals instead of new tires, for now.

hmmm I'm guessing it's not actual death wobble but probably just bump steer if it only happens when you hit a manhole. death wobble would happen pretty much every time you got around 35-40 mph and it would be so violent it would feel like the front end is falling apart and lifting off the ground, it will wake you up and you have to some to a complete stop.

your other problem is you took it to 4WP, they are there to sell you stuff. I used to get accessories from them but finally gave up cause I'd get so mad listening to those guys spew so much bullshit to innocent buyers.

sounds like AEV guy gave you the best advice, if you're running aggressive tires and they are that worn - it's your tires. also running 20's on 35 doesn't leave much tire to absorb the road especially if they are that worn.

You basically wasted a bunch of money tossing parts that fixed nothing. The dual shock setup fixes nothing, it'll wear out quick but you're likely to transfer that damage to your hubs and ball joints and laying out more money for more repairs

Jeepster nOOb

I think there's room for a fourth one [emoji848]maybe check out your unit bearings [emoji33]
Also it's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like your track bar has been raised but your drag link was not flipped. They look off, they should be parallel.

Haha! If I had a spare shock I probably have another location for it. The drag link wasn't flipped because I have a 6" pitman arm drop and the angles wouldn't be correct, says the 4wheelparts front desk clerk.

I don't really trust them much anymore, considering all of the parts they had me buy to throw at an issue that they either are incapable of solving or rather upsale me instead.

Jeepster nOOb

Your only masking the problem. Find what is causing your DW like a loose track bar mounting bolt.

Steering stabilizers will do absolutely nothing to actually fix the problem.

That's why I've done everything else except dual stabilizers, yet (to my wits end) I still have the death wobble. But according to another response on here, it might just be tire wandering on my "warn out" 35"s. If so, I was hoping that the dual shocks would hold them together better and not actually mask some underlined issue. Will the shocks hold up under the pressure you think?

Jeepster nOOb

hmmm I'm guessing it's not actual death wobble but probably just bump steer if it only happens when you hit a manhole. death wobble would happen pretty much every time you got around 35-40 mph and it would be so violent it would feel like the front end is falling apart and lifting off the ground, it will wake you up and you have to some to a complete stop.

your other problem is you took it to 4WP, they are there to sell you stuff. I used to get accessories from them but finally gave up cause I'd get so mad listening to those guys spew so much bullshit to innocent buyers.

sounds like AEV guy gave you the best advice, if you're running aggressive tires and they are that worn - it's your tires. also running 20's on 35 doesn't leave much tire to absorb the road especially if they are that worn.

You basically wasted a bunch of money tossing parts that fixed nothing. The dual shock setup fixes nothing, it'll wear out quick but you're likely to transfer that damage to your hubs and ball joints and laying out more money for more repairs

I actually left that last part out about running 20" rims - the AEV guy said the same thing about absorbance.

Shoot! The shocks don't absorb the punches? They actually shift the stress to other parts?

That's definitely NOT what I want, unless you think all that up selling from 4WheelParts can actually handle it (e.g. Synergy drag link, tie rod, and ball joints)?

So basically I should be running 17" rims if I want to run 35" aggressive treads? ...or I could have missed the point entirely

...and I don't really need steering dampeners, which is all I read online as well, but I didn't know where else to turn considering I thought I tried everything else ;(

Heavyhaul07

I just installed Bilstein dual dampeners and noticed that it didn't conflict with my single pro comp shock. I thought, "2 shocks is better than one...but 3 shocks!!!! Now that's smth."

I'm not auto-mechanic or an off road vehicle buff, so I don't really know if this could be a bad thing. But I know enough to ask the question, at least.

My current set up (see pics below):

Is this detrimental? ...should I remove the single shock? ...or will this prolong the life of my duals? ...could care less about the cheap pro comp shock

View attachment 228423

View attachment 228425

Is it me or is his track bar upside down? I've seen the curve to the street but not curve up to the engine.

WJCO

Meme King
This is a train wreck. You're running 35s on whatever Obama lift you got that comes with a 6 inch drop pitman. You can actually run 35s with no lift or a very small lift if you do it right. You need to check that your dl and tb are parallel. You need to check your caster. You need to get that bling shit the fuck off your tie rod. You need to have a helper steer the vehicle back and forth while you check for any play. And check your ball joints and unit bearings as well.

Top Bottom