Reinforced stock axle vs Dynatrac/Tera44/G2 etc

Mitch

I bent my front axle..... just a tiny bit but enough that the oil ist leaking....well pouring out.

It´s a JKU Rubicon, so I have a locker with low mileage....around 50000mls.
I also have brand new G2 shafts here, because dealership tried to fix the problem for 3 times and didn´t have a clue......

Now, the real problem is I´m from Germany. No spare parts here. Axle housing from dealership costs 2700 Euros wich is close to $3000
Dynatrac if you get one costs §4033 just for the housing.

So it seems I have to order from the US. $250 postage for an axle is ok. around 30% custom fee is.......

I get a stock housing for $850...... $250 shipping, + 30% still much cheaper than in Germany.
I have brand new sleeves for the stock housing and a PSC diffcover from the old axle.
Get some C gussets and I have e pretty nice and tough axle.

So how tough ist this really ? Sounds pretty tough and costs less than $2000

On the other hand.

Tera 44 or a G2 is a pretty fancy thing. No need for welding no additional costs and work.
And I think those are the only 2 I can take when I want to keep my stock locker and shafts. Otherwise it would get way to expensive. New lcoker, onboard air, probably new shafts and so on.......

Actually it was clear that I´ll go for a aftermarket axle. But seen the Jeep list on the JKX and a couple of folks still run stock D44 front axles......... well seems to work.

The whole plan was to regear during the swap , go from 2.5" lift to 3.5" and from 35" to 37" and some new shocks and hydraulic bumpstops. But seen the costs I´ll to this in 3 (yearly) steps

But I´m thinking and thinking and don´t find the right way. Reinforced stock option could start right away. Tera44 well still have to get the money together.

WJCO

Meme King
I bent my front axle..... just a tiny bit but enough that the oil ist leaking....well pouring out.

It´s a JKU Rubicon, so I have a locker with low mileage....around 50000mls.
I also have brand new G2 shafts here, because dealership tried to fix the problem for 3 times and didn´t have a clue......

Now, the real problem is I´m from Germany. No spare parts here. Axle housing from dealership costs 2700 Euros wich is close to $3000
Dynatrac if you get one costs §4033 just for the housing.

So it seems I have to order from the US. $250 postage for an axle is ok. around 30% custom fee is.......

I get a stock housing for $850...... $250 shipping, + 30% still much cheaper than in Germany.
I have brand new sleeves for the stock housing and a PSC diffcover from the old axle.
Get some C gussets and I have e pretty nice and tough axle.

So how tough ist this really ? Sounds pretty tough and costs less than $2000

On the other hand.

Tera 44 or a G2 is a pretty fancy thing. No need for welding no additional costs and work.
And I think those are the only 2 I can take when I want to keep my stock locker and shafts. Otherwise it would get way to expensive. New lcoker, onboard air, probably new shafts and so on.......

Actually it was clear that I´ll go for a aftermarket axle. But seen the Jeep list on the JKX and a couple of folks still run stock D44 front axles......... well seems to work.

The whole plan was to regear during the swap , go from 2.5" lift to 3.5" and from 35" to 37" and some new shocks and hydraulic bumpstops. But seen the costs I´ll to this in 3 (yearly) steps

But I´m thinking and thinking and don´t find the right way. Reinforced stock option could start right away. Tera44 well still have to get the money together.

If you already bent a front 44 axle, and you are upgrading, go for the Dynatrac which is the highest quality and the strongest. It will cost more money, but you can have confident that it was built right and with quality parts. Check out their website and you'll see why they are the best. www.dynatrac.com

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
How did you bend it? Was it a freak accident or is it something you can see doing again because you were offroading? If it was a freak accident, personally, I'd go the stock axle route but I wouldn't waste money with sleeves.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How did you bend it? Was it a freak accident or is it something you can see doing again because you were offroading? If it was a freak accident, personally, I'd go the stock axle route but I wouldn't waste money with sleeves.

I'd have to agree with this ^^^^

While I'm sure you have cool wheeling in Germany, I find it extremely difficult to believe that it's hard enough to bend an axle unless it were just a freak accident. Being that parts are so hard to come by or at least, not very cheap, I might consider sticking with a factory axle and not waste any money on sleeves.

Mitch

If you already bent a front 44 axle, and you are upgrading, go for the Dynatrac which is the highest quality and the strongest. It will cost more money, but you can have confident that it was built right and with quality parts. Check out their website and you'll see why they are the best. www.dynatrac.com

Well housing costs almost all the same. But going with a Dynatrac I would also need a new locker, onboard air, switchtes and eventually shafts. Making this even more expensive.

Yes and no. Jump the Jeep but not on purpose. On an event there was a track and fastes one wins. Looked at half the track and the rest seemed smooth...... except 3 whoops. Was to fast, jump from the first ditch into the second and third..... pretty hard, suspension bottomed out and so on.
Well if it´s on time it could always happen, but I´m trying to be more careful next time........ Unless someone with a stopwatch is standing there, then my old racecardriver me comes out again.
But really trying to avoid it next time. And also work on the supension.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well housing costs almost all the same. But going with a Dynatrac I would also need a new locker, onboard air, switchtes and eventually shafts. Making this even more expensive.

Yes and no. Jump the Jeep but not on purpose. On an event there was a track and fastes one wins. Looked at half the track and teh rest seemed smooth...... exept 3 whoops. Was to fast, jump from the first ditch into the second and third..... pretty hard, suppension bottomed out and so on.
Well if it´s on time it could always happen, but I´m trying to be more careful next time........ Unless someone with a stopwatch is standing there, then my old racecardriver me comes out again.
But really trying to avoid it next time. And also work on the supension.

LOL!! Okay, sounds like you had fun but clearly, what you did was out of the ordinary. That being said, if you can manage to avoid doing things like that, you should be able to get by with a factory axle. That should save you quite a bit.

If you're worried about bending and you went with a stock axle I'd recommend an Evo truss and gusset package.

The OP is from Germany. With the exception of launching his Jeep, something that isn't common for him, I doubt he'd need anything more than a factory axle. Buying parts from the US can be very expensive and if it isn't needed, I personally wouldn't recommend it. Also, while gussets are nice to have, a truss is kind of a waste of money. At least, in my opinion.

benatc1

Hooked
i could be wrong but doesn't dynastic make a housing to fit all the Rubicon parts? then you can just swap it all over an not have to buy an arb and all the things that come with it

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
The OP is from Germany. With the exception of launching his Jeep, something that isn't common for him, I doubt he'd need anything more than a factory axle. Buying parts from the US can be very expensive and if it isn't needed, I personally wouldn't recommend it. Also, while gussets are nice to have, a truss is kind of a waste of money. At least, in my opinion.

While I can't disagree I can say that the truss has been a nice piece of mind to have. Of course mine was on there when I bought the axle.
Also I'm not paying for foreign shipping so I wasn't thinking about that cost

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SPOOOBY

You may be able to straighten it ,unless it diamoned,use a chain from-outer c to c,opposite of the smile then place bottle jack from axle center to chain and tighten till straight then install sleeve and truss,then remove chain IMG_1477496794.053834.jpg

If your not living and having fun,your dead already

SPOOOBY

A pro-rock 44 is about same strength as a sleeved , trussed and upper and lower inner c gusset all combined

J

JKDream

Just a suggestion, depending on where your axle is bent (assuming its at the diff) you can straighten it out quite easily for about ~$100 in tools.

2ih70bb.jpg

This is a very basic jig that has the strength to pull the tubes around. I've used this to straighten my housing before it was trussed, and also hold it in place while welding.
Obviously an aftermarket solution is better, but I was quite surprised how well it worked. I can run an alignment bar through the housing with no issues.

** I had the same issue as you, short side was bent and puking out gear oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

benatc1

Hooked
A pro-rock 44 is about same strength as a sleeved , trussed and upper and lower inner c gusset all combined

clearly you haven't picked up a pr44 or even looked at the C's. or maybe mine is just that much heavier and stouter than all the other PR44's out there..

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Not gonna beat a dead horse, but I have all of the above except sleeves and it's not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPOOOBY

I know they are beefey,and strong,that comparison didn't-include truss, but agree the c would still be the weak link compared to pro rock

Top Bottom