Take my jeep in for a tick

Jeepnoub

Well as the title says, I'm bringing my 2016 jku for a ticking to the dealership. It was something I noticed after my first oil change at 5k miles. I am now just over 8k miles. The noise is coming from the drive side valve train.

At first the noise would just happen at cold start up. But it seems to have become more of a constant sound and being loudest at startup. I haven't at it much other then tracking where the noise is coming from.

Being I was a motorcycle mechanic for years at a dealership. I know for a fact this noise is not normal and is new. But I don't want to get jacked around at the dealer. The way we handled warranty customers at the motorcycle dealer is completely different from my experiences with car dealers. Any advice is appreciated. I will update as well, when I can. I would like to look at it more this week, but I work alot and have a 3 year old.

WJCO

Meme King
Have you kept up on your maintenance and have records? That can play a role. But being a 2016, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of miles on it?

EDIT: NVM, I skimmed over that part of the post. Shouldn't be a factor.

Jeepnoub

Have you kept up on your maintenance and have records? That can play a role. But being a 2016, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of miles on it?

EDIT: NVM, I skimmed over that part of the post. Shouldn't be a factor.
I just don't want them to tell me to drive it until failure

WJCO

Meme King
I just don't want them to tell me to drive it until failure

If it's ticking like that at that low of mileage, it already is a failure. Make sure they know that. And you're not talking about the normal ticking that fuel injectors make right? It's a valve train noise for sure?

Jeepnoub

If it's ticking like that at that low of mileage, it already is a failure. Make sure they know that. And you're not talking about the normal ticking that fuel injectors make right? It's a valve train noise for sure?
Definitely not the fuel injectors. I can hear them also. They're not nearly as loud as a di motor.

thombull

I have a tick on the driver's side also, 2010 with 74k miles it's louder when cold then quites down a little after the motor warms up, probably a lifter ? I've had it for 20k miles about. Never worried over it. Oil changes every 3k miles.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

mattfl

My friend is having the exact issue on the same model Jeep with about the same mileage. The dealership can't seem to find/nor acknowledge there is an issue so he wrote an email to the manager of the dealership, manager said bring it in. They started it up next to a brand new on the lot 2016 that isn't ticking and my friend said he doesn't want to hear from them again until his Jeep sounds like the one on the lot. He dropped it off Monday and hasn't heard back from them yet. It's been to the dealership 2x before this for the same issue and they still can't figure it out.

Jeepnoub

My friend is having the exact issue on the same model Jeep with about the same mileage. The dealership can't seem to find/nor acknowledge there is an issue so he wrote an email to the manager of the dealership, manager said bring it in. They started it up next to a brand new on the lot 2016 that isn't ticking and my friend said he doesn't want to hear from them again until his Jeep sounds like the one on the lot. He dropped it off Monday and hasn't heard back from them yet. It's been to the dealership 2x before this for the same issue and they still can't figure it out.
I would be very interested in what they come up with. I'm just going to have to be firm with them. I've heard other jk's and other models with the pentastar and they don't sound like mine.

mattfl

I would be very interested in what they come up with. I'm just going to have to be firm with them. I've heard other jk's and other models with the pentastar and they don't sound like mine.

So, friend finally heard back from dealership today,

They are replacing the lifters and rocker arms on the left hand bank of the motor.

So hopefully that fixes the issue.

Jeepnoub

So, friend finally heard back from dealership today,

They are replacing the lifters and rocker arms on the left hand bank of the motor.

So hopefully that fixes the issue.
There are no lifters and rocker arms. The pentastar is a dual overhead cam motor.

Jeepnoub

Even though it's not an OHV engine, it still has rockers and lifters. They both sit under the camshafts.
I stand corrected. I assumed shim over bucket without researching first. A bad rocker would definitely explain the noise I am having. And being that I assumed shim over bucket explains my difficulty figuring out my noise.

I really hope this doesn't become a more redundant issue and is a one time deal. A little frustrating on a brand new jeep, even with a warranty.

Jeepnoub

So a update for anyone following. Took the jeep in this morning and got a call this afternoon.

It needs new rockers and lifters on the driver side. I asked what the time line is expecting sometime next week. Service advisor said it will be done tomorrow and they have the parts in stock.

That is where the conversation got interesting. With previous posts in this thread in mind, I asked if this an issue he has seen before and he replied yes. I then asked if this has become a common problem (seemed a bit odd they had the parts in stock for what I thought is an uncommon issue). He stubble around the question and said they service over 100 cars a day, so they have a lot of parts in stock and he has seen it a few times, but it's not any kind of recall issue. Which leads me to believe it's become common enough to warrant the need for replacement parts to be instock, but hasn't become recall YET...

On a high note. I talked them into activating the rubicon sway software, so now I can finally install my rubicon sway bar. Just need to get the wiring harness.

WJCO

Meme King
So a update for anyone following. Took the jeep in this morning and got a call this afternoon.

It needs new rockers and lifters on the driver side. I asked what the time line is expecting sometime next week. Service advisor said it will be done tomorrow and they have the parts in stock.

That is where the conversation got interesting. With previous posts in this thread in mind, I asked if this an issue he has seen before and he replied yes. I then asked if this has become a common problem (seemed a bit odd they had the parts in stock for what I thought is an uncommon issue). He stubble around the question and said they service over 100 cars a day, so they have a lot of parts in stock and he has seen it a few times, but it's not any kind of recall issue. Which leads me to believe it's become common enough to warrant the need for replacement parts to be instock, but hasn't become recall YET...

On a high note. I talked them into activating the rubicon sway software, so now I can finally install my rubicon sway bar. Just need to get the wiring harness.

Good to hear. Hope it all works out for you.

Bunz-o-fun

Any update on your situation? Assuming all is good when you got your rig back since it's been a month. Took mine in yesterday for the same issue. I'll try to start a different thread later today. Thanks for posting

JoeB

Yup...same noise happened to me in the same location. Took it in and they changed valves, lifters and cam shafts on drivers side. Runs like new again.

Sent from my LG-H918 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dirtdonthurt

recently had a lifter issue with my 15. was picking up my daughter and the engine was knocking. I idled up the block and it continued so I parked it and had it towed to dealer. got it back and they said possible debris under lifter. I had a head gasket done a few months ago so possible. the tech told me there is a bulletin on loud lifters and that they have seen some collapse. I haven't looked at the design yet. whatever the case my lifters were pulled and checked and the oil and filter changed. so far quiet

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Yeah I had the right hand bank lifters, followers and cams changed on my 2015 about 6 months ago. No problems since but pretty annoying on a new vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom