Transmission fluid flush or change ?

JeepNfish20

So I posted a smiliar thread earlier about my hot oil light coming on but I wanted to get some more feedback. I have a 2 door 2011 3.8 liter V6 automatic and my hot oil light came on wheeling the other day. The first time it came on a few months ago I added a transmission cooler but the laugh recently came on again wheeling. My fluid is pretty black and my jeep has 48,205 miles on it. I was wondering if I should get a complete flush or just the fluid and filter changed ? From my last thread it seems that the flush could cause more issues. Also I am not sure if my differential fluid should be changed at all with how many miles I have on it?
Thanks everyone !

JeepNfish20

Gotcha thanks haha, do I have to order the new filter and ring or can I get that straight through autozone or something like that ? I found it on Amazon and some other websites but I did not want to wait for it. Also how many quarts of the ATF+4 will I need? I saw one post that said 2 and another that said 5. I also have the transmission cooler so not sure how much I will need
go back to your other post and read the last two posts

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

Autozone should carry your filter (comes with the ring) and ATF+4. Understand that "ATF+4" is an official Chrystler fluid & you cannot substitute it. If someone says "this is the same thing" and it doesn't say ATF+4 in huge letters on the bottle, it's not. Other companies are licensed to make ATF+4, but don't try to use anything else.

The manufacturer of your cooler should be able to tell you approximately how much more you'll need, but plan on buying 6 bottles & using at least 5.

I had a lot of trouble determining the right amount because the process to check isn't perfect. The 3.8 has a 4 speed tranny & the 3.6 doesn't. After you put in 4 quarts + the volume your cooler needs drive it around with the "OD Off" button on for 15-20 minutes, not on the highway. You want it in 2nd or 3rd to really warm it up. Then park it flat, leave it running in neutral, e-brake, check the dipstick.

Put in too little and your torque converter will slip. Too much and it will slip, boil over out of your fill tube & cause other major issues. Be patient & take your time.

I went too low at first. Realized I was slipping, then over filled. It boiled over & shifted terribly. I had to use the hand pump down the fill tube to pull 3/4 of a quart back out to get it right.

Do your diffs & transfer case while you're at it. They're easy.

Sent from my duck blind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom