Extended brake line length

jkmadness

I'm about to buy the extended stainless steel brake lines for my Jk and i was leaning towards the ones from teraflex,but i see they come in 26" and 30" long.
I have a 2.5" coil lift on mine...any input on which ones should i get...:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm about to buy the extended stainless steel brake lines for my Jk and i was leaning towards the ones from teraflex,but i see they come in 26" and 30" long.
I have a 2.5" coil lift on mine...any input on which ones should i get...:thinking:

26" is more than long enough for your needs - maybe even a bit long. You can actually just get away with rear brake line drop brackets.

jkmadness

26" is more than long enough for your needs - maybe even a bit long. You can actually just get away with rear brake line drop brackets.

I do have the brackets on the rear but i was also worrying about chafe against the shock or shock boot.
Thank you Eddie,I will get the 26" for the front :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do have the brackets on the rear but i was also worrying about chafe against the shock or shock boot.

Honestly, I think chafing up against your shocks is the least of your concerns. If you brake lines are too long, you will run the risk of them getting snagged on an obstacle and getting torn out. This is something I've seen on more than one occasion.

If need be, you should be able to bend your drop brackets a bit to move things around a bit.

FoxC

If I understand your question correctly and you do go to braided steel lines you can put heat shrink on the section of brake line that would rub on the shock shaft/body to keep it from scuffing up the finish. This is especially import if the braided line touches the shock shaft.

jkmadness

Honestly, I think chafing up against your shocks is the least of your concerns. If you brake lines are too long, you will run the risk of them getting snagged on an obstacle and getting torn out. This is something I've seen on more than one occasion.

If need be, you should be able to bend your drop brackets a bit to move things around a bit.

I didn't think about that,Thanks again :thankyou:

jkmadness

If I understand your question correctly and you do go to braided steel lines you can put heat shrink on the section of brake line that would rub on the shock shaft/body to keep it from scuffing up the finish. This is especially import if the braided line touches the shock shaft.

I wasn't worrying about scuffing the shocks but more about loosing the brakes to a leak..
Thank you.:thankyou:

FoxC

I wasn't worrying about scuffing the shocks but more about loosing the brakes to a leak..
Thank you.:thankyou:
Gotcha...I wouldnt think there is enough pressure to rub through the line just by it touching the shock body/shaft or boot. But braided lines can ruin a shock shaft very quickly. Enough so that the scratched up shaft will cause the shock seal to leak.

jkmadness

Gotcha...I wouldnt think there is enough pressure to rub through the line just by it touching the shock body/shaft or boot. But braided lines can ruin a shock shaft very quickly. Enough so that the scratched up shaft will cause the shock seal to leak.

Thanks again for input :beer:

Top Bottom