What causes a shock to blow out?

boardsurfer

I have Fox 2.0s with remote reservoirs. The front right is leaking goo everywhere. The Jeep drives well and doesnt feel like that shock is completely dead, but I'm not liking the stuff leaking out.

My guess is over-compression due to improperly specced bump stops however in my profile pic that is flexed, I had the tire in the fender and the shocks still had another inch and a half showing (the bumpstops were about 2 inches from touching). To fully compress the shock I would have likely ripped the fender off completely :doh:. So I dont know. Do they just go bad over time?

My 2 real questions here: Is it bad for a shock to be completely compressed? Is it bad to be completely extended? :thinking:

WJCO

Meme King
I remember when you had that thing flexed. It looked like your bump stops were perfect. You really have to measure from metal to metal (excluding the rubber portion as it collapses really thin), but like you said, your fender would likely be torn off first. I know it is never good for a shock to be fully compressed. I don't know about extended. You got any pics of the leaking stuff?

boardsurfer

I remember when you had that thing flexed. It looked like your bump stops were perfect. You really have to measure from metal to metal (excluding the rubber portion as it collapses really thin), but like you said, your fender would likely be torn off first. I know it is never good for a shock to be fully compressed. I don't know about extended. You got any pics of the leaking stuff?

Here's what it looks like.

IMG_1043.jpg

Draconianwinter

I have Fox 2.0s with remote reservoirs. The front right is leaking goo everywhere. The Jeep drives well and doesnt feel like that shock is completely dead, but I'm not liking the stuff leaking out.

My guess is over-compression due to improperly specced bump stops however in my profile pic that is flexed, I had the tire in the fender and the shocks still had another inch and a half showing (the bumpstops were about 2 inches from touching). To fully compress the shock I would have likely ripped the fender off completely :doh:. So I dont know. Do they just go bad over time?

My 2 real questions here: Is it bad for a shock to be completely compressed? Is it bad to be completely extended? :thinking:
Answer is yes they do wear out. How old are your shocks?

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

Jeepfan30

I recall reading that on the front of a stock axle, the lower shock mounts are not in the proper alignment once the Jeep is lifted. the mounts need to be relocated outward so the shock has full pivot and has full movement when the suspension cycles.

Evo makes brackers, Synergy has good brackets as well.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?22282-Bent-King-Shock-Shaft/page2

These are only needed when you have really long shocks, as the front axle droops the shock body may come in contact with the frame causing the shaft to bend. My Fox 2.0 4"-6" shocks hit the frame at full droop and I do not have the bracket, but no leaking yet. I have had them on for 2.5 years.

Set your bump stops so they don't completely compress, some people add limiting straps so their shocks don't fully extend with the weight of the axle on them.

Last edited:

toxicwaste29

I thought I read somewhere after I bought my fox 2.0 reservoirs that it's recommended they are rebuilt every 30k miles or something like that.

Granted I have never had mine rebuilt and have had them over 30k miles and have had no issues

BobNH

A bit tardy to the party, and no experience with the remote res type shocks, but I do know grit can build on the shaft and seal area and maybe you got unlucky and some of that grit ruined the seal. A possibilty at least. I know mud up here van be heavy and clingy, and I hate the stuff, but sometimes that is wherr the road takes you. You pic looks like desert (on my phone) so possibly the same issues with sandy locales as well. Likely worse as I'm sure the desert grit is much finer. FWIW

WJCO

Meme King
some people add limiting straps so their shocks don't fully extend with the weight of the axle on them.

He already has em.

A bit tardy to the party, and no experience with the remote res type shocks, but I do know grit can build on the shaft and seal area and maybe you got unlucky and some of that grit ruined the seal. A possibilty at least. I know mud up here van be heavy and clingy, and I hate the stuff, but sometimes that is wherr the road takes you. You pic looks like desert (on my phone) so possibly the same issues with sandy locales as well. Likely worse as I'm sure the desert grit is much finer. FWIW

While we do have dirt here, this pic was on top of a 12000 foot granite mountain. Most of our trails here are pretty rocky.

boardsurfer

I thought I read somewhere after I bought my fox 2.0 reservoirs that it's recommended they are rebuilt every 30k miles or something like that.

Granted I have never had mine rebuilt and have had them over 30k miles and have had no issues

That would be news to me - and they're only at 22k. :grayno:

I think I'll go with what WJCO said and clean them up and go with it for a bit. A suspension overhaul has been on the to do list for a while anyway (it's a factory Mopar lift). And as I said, it doesn't feel "flat" or otherwise messed up on the road. Just concerned about the goop.

There is something to what BobNH said though. I went splashing through some slushy snow a few weeks ago which had a lot of grit attached to it. It's possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom