PR44 vs. PR60

munstie

Was wondering if could get feedback pros and cons between the prorock 44 and 60 trying to decide which way to go.

munstie

If you can afford it, a PR60 is the way to go. It's single biggest con is it's price.

Yeah had this conversation with you awhile back ago in a P.M. I have heard there are drawbacks to the pr 60 weight wise and getting them to articulate so was curious to see if I could get any feedback from others. running a longarm setup right now been looking at evo bolt on coilovers as well, which brings me to this question on the coilover setup how much lift are you running with the 40's. Don't know that i will go to 40's but will probably step up to 37's for sure. And were there any issues with running the pr 60 with the stock 44 out back.:honey:

munstie

So is there any truth to there being issues with getting a pr 60 to articulate. Really didn't understand it but I do remember reading somewhere that it's an issue with the pr 60, just trying to get some facts before I drop the cash. Hoping as well I can find someone close by to me to actually ride in a coilover setup.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Last edited:

GCM 2

Here are some visuals for you that need a cutaway comparison.

Attachments

• image-710676733.jpg
    image-710676733.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 283
  • image-1802634424.jpg
    image-1802634424.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 285
  • image-442589687.jpg
    image-442589687.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

munstie

Is there any truth that there are problems with articulation on a 60 like I said earlier don't understand why there would be unless it's something to do with weight, but that still doesn't make sense to me.

GCM 2

Is there any truth that there are problems with articulation on a 60 like I said earlier don't understand why there would be unless it's something to do with weight, but that still doesn't make sense to me.

No problems because although a PR60 is a wider track width, most other areas dimensionally, it is as small or smaller than a stock Dana 44

munstie

Appreciate the info and help with this now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna tell the wife I'm gonna dump another 6 to 7 grand in the Jeep. :what:

rtguy1

fyi...i went to a pr44 unlimited up front and a pr60 for the rear. i have a lighter 2door though. built the pr44 with the thick tubes, rcv shafts, prosteer bj's, and arb. it is also custom width to match the rear. all depends on the weight and your plans for the rig imo.

munstie

Well I have around 150# extra hanging on the front and about 175# maybe 200# on the rear both close guesses. I like the rocks,trails and mud. I tend to play on the rocks and trails more. The trails we do run have quite a bit of off camber sections in them

rtguy1

i have psc bumpers front and rear, a warn zeon up front, and some usual skids and sliders. imo if u break rcv's in a pr44, u will prob break u joints or shafts on a 60 too. i would only do a 60 if 40's were def in my future. a pr44 is fine for 37's and can work with 40's depending on how you treat it. as wol said, if u are really worried and can afford the pr60 up front, the high steer kit to go with it, and wheels to accept the hubs and bolt pattern, go for it.

munstie

i have psc bumpers front and rear, a warn zeon up front, and some usual skids and sliders. imo if u break rcv's in a pr44, u will prob break u joints or shafts on a 60 too. i would only do a 60 if 40's were def in my future. a pr44 is fine for 37's and can work with 40's depending on how you treat it. as wol said, if u are really worried and can afford the pr60 up front, the high steer kit to go with it, and wheels to accept the hubs and bolt pattern, go for it.

Yeah that's the big thing is all the other thing's that need to be changed wheels and so forth that I'm really not looking forward to, but hell it will be a good excuse to get slabs. :thumbup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So is there any truth to there being issues with getting a pr 60 to articulate. Really didn't understand it but I do remember reading somewhere that it's an issue with the pr 60, just trying to get some facts before I drop the cash. Hoping as well I can find someone close by to me to actually ride in a coilover setup.

Exactly where did you read that and what exactly was the reason behind there be any issues with getting a PR60 to articulate? Here's a shot of our JK with a PR60...

main.php

If there's an issue, I haven't seen it...

Well I have around 150# extra hanging on the front and about 175# maybe 200# on the rear both close guesses. I like the rocks,trails and mud. I tend to play on the rocks and trails more. The trails we do run have quite a bit of off camber sections in them

All the more reason why you'd want a greater amount of unsprung weight. It'll help to keep all four on the floor.

Unfortunately, if you're going to have any problems with articulation, it'll be from the radius arms you have on your long arm kit, not a 60.

imo if u break rcv's in a pr44, u will prob break u joints or shafts on a 60 too.

Not sure what you're basing your opinion on - I've run RCV's on a PR44 and while I'll admit they are nice, they are far from being perfect. Yes, they do have very strong joints but, their shafts are SMALLER than a 60 shaft and that's exactly where they end up breaking. I have been pushing my 60 on 40's with u-joints for over 3 years and over 60,000 miles now and have NEVER had an issue. I would take my 60 with u-joints over a 44 with RCV's any day of the week. But, that's just me.

munstie

Thats what I kinda thought that the weight should help. I think I can say I'm just gonna go with the 60 rather have more than not enough. As far as the radius arms I do realize they do cause some bind. And I honestly cannot remember where I had read that about the 60 and that articulation was an issue. This is full droop on the radius arms now 1358436209352.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thats what I kinda thought that the weight should help. I think I can say I'm just gonna go with the 60 rather have more than not enough.

That's the way I see it. :yup:

As far as the radius arms I do realize they do cause some bind. And I honestly cannot remember where I had read that about the 60 and that articulation was an issue. This is full droop on the radius arms now.

Never said you couldn't "force" radius arms to articulate but, it will come at the cost of your bushings. Unfortunately, there isn't just "some" bind but rather, 100% bind the moment you try to articulate your axle. By it's design, radius arms behave much like a truss and if you were to disconnect your arms from the frame, they would just stand out like a diving board instead of drooping toward the floor like a 4-link setup would. See pic below:

radiusarms.jpg

If I recall, there used to be front axles made for Ford Broncos that rotated at the axle tube to help address this problem. Radius arms are great for big straight up and down vertical travel like what desert racers see and they even help provide a solution for problematic upper control arm mounting points but, the need for them to flex well was never intended for them to be a primary goal.

If you haven't checked your bushings recently, you should as I've seen them blow out in as little as one run.

TrailBear

I just saw on northridges site that full traction makes a kit for those that have a radius arm lift, it comes with a frame mount and new upper arm so you can go back to true four link. Worth a look to save money.

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

munstie

Still have the front factory mounts on the Jeep. The rear mounts are gone, but I have been throwing the idea of three linking the rear. Any thoughts on the three links.

Top Bottom