Objective measure for 35X versus 37X?

Eugene

I've been doing way too much reading on the subject of tire size and, so far, I'm still on the fence between 35X and 37X. Cost is a factor, of course, but that goes without saying. Wear and tear on parts with heavier tires, also mostly obvious. Aesthetics can be important but are not the best way to make a decision. There are probably lots of folks who have something that looks frickin' fantastic but they overspent for what they'll ever really do with it.

If you approached it strictly from the perspective of capability, however, is there an objective measure? Like the Jeep Jamboree scale of 1 - 10, does 35X work for 1 through 8 but you need 37X for 9 -10? Thoughts?

:thinking:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You can absolutely run something like the Rubicon on 35's just fine, especially if you pick good lines.

Napalm

35s have always been more than enough for me, but I've never had 37s. Ignorance is bliss though maybe? Haha.

DKjeep

I ran 33's and 35's for a long time. I recently switched to a 37" tire and there is at least to me a good bit of difference in road manners. Not to mention that it is heavier, counteracts your gear ratio, feels a bit more sluggish, etc.... I feel that a 35" is a great all around size and about the most I would go for a daily driver. You can always buy larger tires and wheels for off road trips and store them when not in use.

boardsurfer

There are probably lots of folks who have something that looks frickin' fantastic but they overspent for what they'll ever really do with it.

:thinking:

Sure, and we might even have a laugh at their expense but really, go with what you're happy with. If the Hammers are part of your weekly commute, by all means load up the Pro Rocks and 40s.

Just know that for a given budget, there's a huge difference between this:

uG6t1yN.jpg

and this:

kmzVR66.jpg

Only you can decide if what you spent is worth what you will do with it.

Dopey84

So I just went from the stock bfg mud terrains to 35x12.50s and definitely a noticeable difference I've never ran 37s but I would think the possibilities would be greater. But for me as a daily driver 35s are all around good for the trails I've been able to run.. so I suggest pick your dream trail you wanna run someday and build from there IMG_1477786809.847192.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned, pick good lines will with 35's will get you pretty much anywhere.

What I've noticed since going to 37's is once aired down I have the clearance of a 35 aired up.

if you're considering 37's, I recommend hydro-steering and brake upgrade along with gussets but gussets you'll want to do with any tire size change. The steering is not so bad as a DD but on the trail you'll notice it.

If you're brakes aren't upgraded you'll notice quickly how much more it's takes to stop a 37 versus a 35 versus stock.

I ran the PowerStop pad and rotors with the 35's and they did a good job but with 37's not so much.

Dynatrac ProGrips just flat-out work in stopping a 37 :thumb:

the extra sidewall seems to make a difference when crawling up obstacles from the side but it could also be they've given me a false(?lol) sense of newfound ability

Eugene

if you're considering 37's, I recommend hydro-steering and brake upgrade along with gussets but gussets you'll want to do with any tire size change. The steering is not so bad as a DD but on the trail you'll notice it.

Right. The tire prices don't differ by that much -- it's everything else that goes along with the bigger tires that adds up quickly!

If you're brakes aren't upgraded you'll notice quickly how much more it's takes to stop a 37 versus a 35 versus stock. I ran the PowerStop pad and rotors with the 35's and they did a good job but with 37's not so much. Dynatrac ProGrips just flat-out work in stopping a 37 :thumb:

The ProGrip upgrade is on my "to do" list. :yup:

Top Bottom