Egr valve problems

Jeeper125

About 2-3 months ago I replace my egr valve and the check engine light went off just today it came back on with the p0406 code which is egr circuit high. Is my egr valve really shot after just 2 months???

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
About 2-3 months ago I replace my egr valve and the check engine light went off just today it came back on with the p0406 code which is egr circuit high. Is my egr valve really shot after just 2 months???

Nope I would say it might be something within the electrical circuit. Either corrosion on the wires, bad connector, etc. gonna take a little diagnoses with a meter check your voltage and such

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
We had that same code a week after buying ours. Carbon is common in the egr system so we just ran a couple tanks of 91 octane and cleared the code. It hasn't come back after several thousand miles. I also read an exhaust leak could cause the code and we definitely have one of those. 3.8 manifold.

JeepFan

Hooked
As WJCO mentioned, carbon buildup can cause this code. Happened on my JK last year. A used a fuel injector cleaner called Redline. It has a 41% concentration of PEA and will help reduce the carbon buildup from valves, Pistons, injectors and the egr valve.

This product is not snake oil like many other additives. After running it through 1 tank of gas, no more egr code.

I'm sure there are other brands out there that are just as good. Just look for one with a high percentage of Poly Ethel Amine (PEA). The MSDS will provide this info.

WJCO

Meme King
As WJCO mentioned, carbon buildup can cause this code. Happened on my JK last year. A used a fuel injector cleaner called Redline. It has a 41% concentration of PEA and will help reduce the carbon buildup from valves, Pistons, injectors and the egr valve.

This product is not snake oil like many other additives. After running it through 1 tank of gas, no more egr code.

I'm sure there are other brands out there that are just as good. Just look for one with a high percentage of Poly Ethel Amine (PEA). The MSDS will provide this info.

Same here. After a can of 44k and 3 tanks of 91 octane, code has been gone for months. :thumb:

Clayps

Good to know. I just filled with a tank of 91 octane. Will see what happens. Just frustrating since I replaced my EGR due a P0404. Was great for a few months and then this other related EGR code comes back. I unplugged the battery earlier in the week and the code disappeared for a few days. Will see what happens and may try a cleaner as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom