Passenger Door Wont Open From Outside & C2101 Code

Willys_ATX

Scratching my head on this one...

Driving today on a local road doing 35 had my dash flash a combination of lights... Happened too fast for me to see what they all were as it went back to normal in a second.

My buddy riding with me and I get out and think nothing of it. Getting back he tries to open the front passenger door and it wouldn't open. The locks are clearly unlocked, however when pressing the button on the outside handle it feels exactly as it would if it were locked. When I pop the door from the inside it comes right open.

When I get home I wonder if it might be related to the electrical gremlins from earlier and I read a C2101 code... Battery Voltage High

"Possible causes
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
- Vehicle battery
- Vehicle charging system
- Faulty Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module"

I've opened up the door's plastic panel and nothing looks to be amiss. To my untrained eye its a bunch of electrical wire, but the actual mechanism for the outside handle is not accessible without opening the panel that access the glass, etc.

Figure I'll take it into the dealer as it's under warranty, but has anyone else experienced this?

jeeeep

Hooked
Scratching my head on this one...

Driving today on a local road doing 35 had my dash flash a combination of lights... Happened too fast for me to see what they all were as it went back to normal in a second.

My buddy riding with me and I get out and think nothing of it. Getting back he tries to open the front passenger door and it wouldn't open. The locks are clearly unlocked, however when pressing the button on the outside handle it feels exactly as it would if it were locked. When I pop the door from the inside it comes right open.

When I get home I wonder if it might be related to the electrical gremlins from earlier and I read a C2101 code... Battery Voltage High

"Possible causes
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
- Vehicle battery
- Vehicle charging system
- Faulty Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module"

I've opened up the door's plastic panel and nothing looks to be amiss. To my untrained eye its a bunch of electrical wire, but the actual mechanism for the outside handle is not accessible without opening the panel that access the glass, etc.

Figure I'll take it into the dealer as it's under warranty, but has anyone else experienced this?

Good you're under warranty.

My back doors stopped unlocking about a year after I bought my 2010, since I really never used them I figured fuse and never got around to checking.

When I finally decided I was tired of manually opening the rear doors I looked for and found out there is no fuse. I can hear the mechanism activating but it won't unlock the back doors.

Took it to the dealer and they told me it's the TIPM $1000, I was also out of warranty. The TIPM has several layers and the relays for the rear doors are on the bottom layer. The TIPM now costs $900 for a damn faulty relay.

I keep waiting for a recall on the TIPM cause they are failing with other things that should be a simple fuse or relay swap.

Willys_ATX

Good you're under warranty.

My back doors stopped unlocking about a year after I bought my 2010, since I really never used them I figured fuse and never got around to checking.

When I finally decided I was tired of manually opening the rear doors I looked for and found out there is no fuse. I can hear the mechanism activating but it won't unlock the back doors.

Took it to the dealer and they told me it's the TIPM $1000, I was also out of warranty. The TIPM has several layers and the relays for the rear doors are on the bottom layer. The TIPM now costs $900 for a damn faulty relay.

I keep waiting for a recall on the TIPM cause they are failing with other things that should be a simple fuse or relay swap.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It's gotta be electrical... Will relay what the dealer says.

Willys_ATX

Well I figured it out...

You're able to see through a hole in the door right where the latch is. What happens is you push the button on the outside door handle, that pushes a rod which then pushes the latch open and off the frame.

On the JK there are tiny bolts that hold the rod to the latch, and mine came loose. Listening closely I can hear it rolling around in the door. Took the door off and shook it around like I was trying get money to fall out of it and nothing! =]

Will be heading to the dealer to see if they have a replacement. Wish I knew what size the hardware was and I'd be off to Home Depot.

Example of my driver side with the hardware in it...

IMG_6563.jpg

IMG_6564.jpg

Top Bottom