ABS/ESP Traction Issue

Fuhaxian

Maybe one of you gents can help me solve an issue,

I have a 2010 Jeep Rubicon 2D and after letting my Jeep sit in the parking lot over the weekend I went to go drive her. After turning out of the parking space I could tell that something was wrong and immediately my ABS and ESP lights came on. I don't off road since I'm still paying it off and I'm just trying to find out if it's something I can try to fix or if I should throw her in the shop.

I had the code U1418 come on before I tried resetting the PCM

Thanks!

ScoobyCarolanNC

The wheel speed sensors are a common issue. There a clear plastic ring behind your wheel that tells the ecu how fast you're going. If it is dirty or the wires damaged it can throw a code and disable the abs & esp. I've had to replace one & the last time it happened I just had to wash her.

Sent from my duck blind.

Fuhaxian

The wheel speed sensors are a common issue. There a clear plastic ring behind your wheel that tells the ecu how fast you're going. If it is dirty or the wires damaged it can throw a code and disable the abs & esp. I've had to replace one & the last time it happened I just had to wash her.

Sent from my duck blind.

I've replaced entire rotors on my Jeep, is the wheel sensor just a plug and play device? I remember messing with it but never actually tried taking it out of the new assemblies.

Dan

jmatta33

I have the same issue with my Jeep. Guess I will need to check out the speed sensors as well. Subscribing to see how this turns out... :hmm:

jeeeep

Hooked

Fuhaxian

I have the same issue with my Jeep. Guess I will need to check out the speed sensors as well. Subscribing to see how this turns out... :hmm:

If you figure it out before me, let me know. Going to check under the Jeep tonight to see if there's any obvious damage. Probably going to order both front and rear wheel sensors tonight since they're really cheap.

Dan

T.McD

I had the esc light keep coming on every once in a while. The dealer looked at it and determined that it was the sensor in the master brake booster. It has been 3 weeks since they changed it and no light again.
Just something to look at. Unless the wiring is broken, only way to know what wheel or booster sensor it is by either testing or swapping out till it goes away.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fuhaxian

I postponed ordering the wheel sensors because the light went off but it came back on today. My steering wheel isn't exactly straight so I'm going to fix that later tomorrow. Would it coming on and off be an indicator of a faulty sensor or the steering wheel not aligned.

Oh I also checked all the connections on the right side and everything looks to be in order

jeeeep

Hooked
steering wheel not being centered will trigger it during tight turning and even when traveling straight at higher speeds

Eagle1911

I postponed ordering the wheel sensors because the light went off but it came back on today. My steering wheel isn't exactly straight so I'm going to fix that later tomorrow. Would it coming on and off be an indicator of a faulty sensor or the steering wheel not aligned.

Oh I also checked all the connections on the right side and everything looks to be in order

When my right rear sensor went bad it was intermittent. Took longer to get the darn thing out of the neck side of the wheel than it took to take off the mounting bolt and disconnect the wiring. Had it replaced in 15 minutes.

aldaman

When my right rear sensor went bad it was intermittent. Took longer to get the darn thing out of the neck side of the wheel than it took to take off the mounting bolt and disconnect the wiring. Had it replaced in 15 minutes.

I've replaced entire rotors on my Jeep, is the wheel sensor just a plug and play device? I remember messing with it but never actually tried taking it out of the new assemblies.

Dan

Here's a pic of the rear sensor for reference. Easy to replace. Just a plug and bolt to remove...

image.jpg

:beer:

Fuhaxian

Here's a pic of the rear sensor for reference. Easy to replace. Just a plug and bolt to remove...

View attachment 229365

:beer:

Thanks for the help, I ordered the parts today from RockAuto. I've been slacking on getting my steering wheel aligned right, going to throw some PB blaster on it and hope nothing decides to snap on me when I mess with it tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the problem, if not I'm certain it's probably going to be the sensors.

I have 170k miles, I expect these problems to happen:beer::crazyeyes:

Fuhaxian

Hey

Just updating you since you wanted to know the outcome.

I ordered both the front and rear wheel sensors and replaced the rear last night. So far the light hasn't come on and it definitely feels a lot better on the throttle now (before it would feel like the power would cut out). The rear, while the easier one to replace, was being dumb when it came down to the red clip that holds the electrical socket onto the sensor. I just grabbed a small flat head and twisted where the clip was. That did the trick for me. Then you just simply unbolt and work the sensor out. Mine was heavily coated in rust dust so it might have been the culprit. Another thing, when trying to put the electrical socket back onto the sensor, it was easier for me to go ahead and push the red clip back on then connecting it back rather then connecting and trying to push the red clip back on. That was just me!

Anyways, hope you figure yours out while I hope the light doesn't come back on.

Top Bottom