grinding noise coming from front axle

nube

Greetings
I have recently replaced my Ball joints on my JK and had an oil slinger come out. I am not sure if I have it back in right. while driving I get a grinding noise and with changing the front diff oil found plenty of shavings. only have 60,000 km on it. does anyone have a diagram of how the oil slinger goes in or had this happen?
thank you in advance.

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. Any pictures? I am not sure what an oil slinger has to do with ball joints.

jeeeep

Hooked
are you referring the axle shaft guide? did you look down the tube to make sure there wasn't another guide in there?

Did you reinstall the shaft properly and did it seat back in place with force or fairly easily?

if you had to force it in you may have pushed the inner seal out of place, are you leaking gear oil from the axle tube? if so, I think you need to remove the gears to replace the seals.

nube

Welcome to WAL. Any pictures? I am not sure what an oil slinger has to do with ball joints.

The oils slinger pulled out when the axle came out. currently I have both seals leaking now which tells me that I have a tun of dirt in the diff :blush: Still can't put my finger on what is grinding.

nube

are you referring the axle shaft guide? did you look down the tube to make sure there wasn't another guide in there?

Did you reinstall the shaft properly and did it seat back in place with force or fairly easily?

if you had to force it in you may have pushed the inner seal out of place, are you leaking gear oil from the axle tube? if so, I think you need to remove the gears to replace the seals.

it took a little being rough I had fished out the two poly guide things. the oil slinger pulled out when I removed the axle drivers side. It is now leaking out both sides of the diff now:blush: guess I missed some dirt and pushed it in to the diff. still grinding but will take it apart and do it again. will change the seals as you recommend and hopefully no more drama

jeeeep

Hooked
it's possible you pushed the seal in enough to cause the grinding, you'll be able to tell once you pull the diff cover off

tgoss

if you jack up the front and rotate the front wheels can you pin point the noise?

Unfortunately if those inner seals popped out you're going to want to pull the carrier and get them both replaced. They are cheap but it's a solid day of your weekend and at least 6-9 beers.

Heavyhaul07

if you jack up the front and rotate the front wheels can you pin point the noise?

Unfortunately if those inner seals popped out you're going to want to pull the carrier and get them both replaced. They are cheap but it's a solid day of your weekend and at least 6-9 beers.

Inner axle seals about 3hrs to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom