JK or TJ?

Tekel

I figured if I posted this in the JK section, it would lean towards that, and same for the TJ section. So, I threw it here in the randomness.

I'm shopping for a new jeep. Current JKU will be going to the wife for her DD.

I had an XJ, then my current JKU. Now i'm shopping again and trying to decide between a TJ or JK. TJ, anywhere from 98+ with 4.0 and JK, just 2007-2008. Staying sub $13k. I'm fairly picky with my used vehicle purchases and around here(here being within 200miles of SWV) finding something that isn't rotting is hard as well. So, i'm looking at 9-11k for a TJ or found a couple clean looking JKs for 12-13k. Late model TJs seem to be listed as much as early model JKs.

What would you go with and why? Help me make up my indecisive mind.

Ddays

Hooked
I'd go JK. There are so many aftermarket parts for these its unbelievable. Clean TJ's in our neck of the woods are still out there but getting harder to find. I'd lean towards the 3.6 engine years..

Chad

I'm the opposite. I'd go TJ. But that is because I own one. Everyone is going to more than likely lean towards what they own, and I've never had a jk. I can tell you that I am very happy with my 04 Rubicon, both on and off road. Good luck with your search, keep us posted!

ob_tj

Honestly this debate has been made on the forum multiple times. It is all in what you want out of it. There are pros and Cons of both.

Basscat

I've owned both. 2000 TJ, Rock Jock 60s, 4" RE lift, Supercharger, Atlas. Good unsprung weight. Wheeled good but JK is significant improvement over TJ. Much stiffer chassis. Tends to swallow up terrain really well. Straight six, in my view was better than the 3.8L v-6 of the JK though.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I've owned both. 2000 TJ, Rock Jock 60s, 4" RE lift, Supercharger, Atlas. Good unsprung weight. Wheeled good but JK is significant improvement over TJ. Much stiffer chassis. Tends to swallow up terrain really well. Straight six, in my view was better than the 3.8L v-6 of the JK though.

How bout a TJ with the 3.6/285 hp V6 in it? :brows:

Basscat

Certainly better but don't forget the axle assemblies on the JK and more importantly the second generation carrier (I'm comparing Rubicon's here) are a bit better. Not a deal breaker but better. Absolutely nothing wrong with TJ. JK is just beefier.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm with ya 110%. The aftermarket support is still pretty strong with the TJ but the JK support is unmatched.

Tekel

I'd go JK. There are so many aftermarket parts for these its unbelievable. Clean TJ's in our neck of the woods are still out there but getting harder to find. I'd lean towards the 3.6 engine years..

Unfortunately my budget keeps me in only 07-08 3.8. I like my 3.6 in the jku.

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I had a 98 TJ and now own 08 JKU. The JKU handles amazing on and off road not like any other Jeep I had owned previously. I do miss the 4.0 though. For me I would have to say go for the JK, then most aftermarket parts you get can be used on either of your vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tekel

Wouldn't argue with that but is that what OP is looking to build?

DD and light trail rig. While dreams of rock crawling and the rubicon trail dance in my head, reality is that with 2 small kids and a full time job, I get out on the trails just once every couple months and nothing extreme.

Biggest concerns I have come down to are cost of and ease of maintenance. So, if the upper control arm bushing takes a dump on me, those few hours spent on a saturday repairing that can guarantee I won't be trail riding for that weekend or the next.

Ddays

Hooked
Having kids and 4 doors sure makes life a lot easier! I suffered through many minivan years :icon_crazy: Wish they had JKU's back when mine were little.....

Tekel

Having kids and 4 doors sure makes life a lot easier! I suffered through many minivan years :icon_crazy: Wish they had JKU's back when mine were little.....

Yah. In the new vehicle i'm shopping for, both kids will rarely be in it. Thats what the JKU is for. Family time. This vehicle will haul me around and 1 kid to and from baby sitter. I rarely have both kids in my vehicle at the same time, and with this one, If I will, there won't be anyone in the passenger seat. 1 is still rear facing and the other is front facing.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
DD and light trail rig. While dreams of rock crawling and the rubicon trail dance in my head, reality is that with 2 small kids and a full time job, I get out on the trails just once every couple months and nothing extreme.

Biggest concerns I have come down to are cost of and ease of maintenance. So, if the upper control arm bushing takes a dump on me, those few hours spent on a saturday repairing that can guarantee I won't be trail riding for that weekend or the next.

I was looking at TJ's and LJ's when I got my 2012 2 door JK sport. Stock with some take off Rubi tires and it was capable of many trails around CO, more than a stock TJ. It is also quieter and more comfortable for DD use, I went from an XJ to the JK for reference.

On the DIY end I have a few friends with TJ's that range from bone stock to very built, and I help them work on them and I do most of the work on my vehicles. I personally am far more comfortable at working on a 4.0 than my 3.6. Mainly because they were in everything Jeep for 20+ years (and longer if you include take in to account that it is based on the AMC strait 6 from the mid 60's) vs. the 3.8 or the 3.6 being so new.

If you are going to mod it, both have a healthy aftermarket support, as a 2 door owner you notice some stuff only applies to the 4 doors.

sitruc

I had a 98 TJ and now own 08 JKU. The JKU handles amazing on and off road not like any other Jeep I had owned previously. I do miss the 4.0 though. For me I would have to say go for the JK, then most aftermarket parts you get can be used on either of your vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree with QuicksilverJK, I also had a 98 TJ and currently own an 08 JKU. The TJ never felt quite stable climbing (too much unpredictable weight transfer to the rear). The JKU is much better overall, although I still miss my 89 XJ, it was my favorite! ;)

Top Bottom