I'm upset found why my jeep rides like crap

13jkdune

So quick run down of mods

13 jk 2 dr auto

Extreme terrain bumper front no winch

Gen1 smittybuilt rear bumper with swing arm

Stock fenders flares

35 on 18s ( got wheels and tires for free don't make fun of me)

Spare is mounted on swing arm

With a 2.5 teraflex lift springs and shocks and bump stops maybe 5 months old

* so sitting in driveway I found the my rear right side teraflex bumpstop is almost siting on the factory bump stop I mean it's close maybe 1/4 inch till it touchs maybe the rear left has maybe 1 inch and the fronts are fine

What should I do was thinking about ordering flat fenders and removing the stock bumpstops what do y'all think

Edited sorry guys

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
A little vague. Has Jeep always ridden crappy or just recently? How long has the lift been on there?

13jkdune

I mean it did not ride that bad before adding the rear bumper. But now it's much worse.

I will take some pics in the am of it

I thought the bumpstops where not supposed to be touching at ride height. There only suppose to touch during off-roading or during heavy flexing. The kit is maybe 5 months old

thardy

Banned
Assuming you're using the Teraflex bumpstop extensions, are you sure they're pushed all the way in? Pictures would definitely help.

Also, chances are that your ride is bad because of the overly stiff Teraflex springs. They are well known for being a rough ride.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Hard to imagine adding a bumper did that to the lift. I ran that same lift with 37s and no issues with a steel carrier and the spare on the back with beadlocks.

Deff add some pics when you can.

WJCO

Meme King
Something is wrong in the RR. Look for a broken spring, broken perch or that spring isn't seated right. It should not be doing that. Also look to make sure rear sway bar, sway bar links, and control arms aren't bent. Your RR bump stop should not be doing that.

tdougherty81

Something is wrong in the RR. Look for a broken spring, broken perch or that spring isn't seated right. It should not be doing that. Also look to make sure rear sway bar, sway bar links, and control arms aren't bent. Your RR bump stop should not be doing that.

I was going to say bent control arm. Just replaced one this weekend because it was bent and my right rear was sitting a little low.

Jackal01

It looks like the rear bumps are for 3"+ lifts. According to a couple sites that sell that lift. Hard to tell which front ones you have.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
+1 on the bumpstops to big

Find a flat level place to park and check if it changes. And if there is anything in the rear of the jeep aside from the seat pull it out.

Sullivan

Check the orientation of the spring. Make sure it's seated properly on top and bottom. Also, look to see if the rubber spring retainer was installed on the top at the tub. Then measure the bump stop.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Hi Dune,

My solution and others can chime in. Post up size of tires, measure bump stops and if stock springs look at tag and post numbers. For giggle look for numbers on sway bar links too. Also, measure the springs and coils following the specs for stock jeep I am attaching.

Stock JK Suspension Dimensions.jpg

stock JK dimensions rear.jpg

Now, I like the looks of your rig. I have a 2 door with 18/59's, rubi shocks and TF leveling kit. I run 255's and those components gave me a lift and fit my tight ass budget. Are you as tight as I?:cheesy: Anyway, Some options just by looking are longer springs leave stops and/or shorter bump stops for starters. Usually when you add inches say a 3" coil you add 3" of bump stop. I never changed mine and will soon. Seems to me previous owner wanted bigger tires for looks and did not want them rubbing on body so added those tall stops. Your rig would look even better a tad taller as well. Here is mine with those options. Do you have rubbing at full turn? Then I would add spacers as well. Post up and we can help you better.

1476719436723.jpg

1476719419628.jpg

Last edited:

bonedaddy

Yeah I ran that lift on my last rig, those bumpstops are way too tall ... your rough ride could be the weight of the rear now making the bumpstops hit together and abruptly stopping stopping the travel... i would remove the bumpstops on the bottom rear completely and see if it's better - if so replace or cut these ...

Top Bottom