Is this a grease fitting?

Rich

I found these hiding on top of my lower ball joints. They appear to be grease fittings, but my grease gun couldn't latch on. I'm thinking they just need a different fitting. Any suggestions?

IMG_1478229944.825491.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rich

It looks like it has a hole right in the middle. I'll pick up a needle fitting for my grease gun and give it a try. Thanks, it's my first Jeep and my first grease gun!

Ddays

Hooked
It looks like it has a hole right in the middle. I'll pick up a needle fitting for my grease gun and give it a try. Thanks, it's my first Jeep and my first grease gun!

Sorry if I'm being Mr. Obvious but make sure you wipe that fitting out good or you'll be pushing dirt right into your BJ....

MacRubi2

Ive only seen one size. The one in the photo looks the same as mine are

Umm.... the one I have looks smaller than the one in the pic. Mine really is basically a hypodermic needle size.... maybe it is the reason I have a hard time getting grease pumped in my ProSteer's

Ddays

Hooked
Umm.... the one I have looks smaller than the one in the pic. Mine really is basically a hypodermic needle size.... maybe it is the reason I have a hard time getting grease pumped in my ProSteer's

:thinking: I went to Autozone & grabbed the only needle fitting they had on the shelf and it worked on my prosteers.

jesse3638

Hooked
I used to have one of these zerks on the center ball of my rear drive shaft. You usually have to push the grease gun really hard and squeeze the trigger slowly. Otherwise it doesn't go into the zerk.

Had to really watch how I worded that otherwise the 12 year old minds would have come out...haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

MacRubi2

I used to have one of these zerks on the center ball of my rear drive shaft. You usually have to push the grease gun really hard and squeeze the trigger slowly. Otherwise it doesn't go into the zerk.

Had to really watch how I worded that otherwise the 12 year old minds would have come out...haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah I tried everything from jacking the wheel up while turning the steering wheel just can't seem to get any grease pumped into my passenger side lower BJ.

I can asume that they don't take much greas but all it does is come out of the zirk.

I can see a little grease coming out of the bottom of the drivers side but not the one I have trouble with.

Yes, that is a grease fitting. It looks like those are Synergy ball joints. The synergy joints come with 2 different types of fittings. The one that was installed and a standard Zerk type fitting.
zerk2.jpg

If I were you I would remove those and replace them with a standard fitting. It will make it easier to put grease in and there will not be any interference. You can pick up 2 new fittings from any hardware store. They are 1/8" NPT fittings. Just like the picture above.

This is not the right fitting. Unfortunately i couldn't delete the image.
zerk.jpg

Last edited:

Rich

Yes, that is a grease fitting. It looks like those are Synergy ball joints. The synergy joints come with 2 different types of fittings. The one that was installed and a standard Zerk type fitting.
View attachment 229773

If I were you I would remove those and replace them with a standard fitting. It will make it easier to put grease in and there will not be any interference. You can pick up 2 new fittings from any hardware store. They are 1/8" NPT fittings. Just like the picture above.

This is not the right fitting. Unfortunately i couldn't delete the image.
View attachment 229772

Thank you for the information!

Top Bottom