bump stop length and cycling the suspension

zimm

Caught the Bug
All this talk lately of bump stops has me thinking. I know that can be scary.

I have a rock crawler 2.5" and a heavy jeep (skids/sliders/bumpers/hardtop).

The place that sold me my lift also included teraflex bump stops. I think they're 2" rear and 2.25" front. Anyways, I only have about an inch from the bump stop extension to the beginning the foam factory bump stop. I think I'm limiting my up travel too much.

Am I right thinking I need to "cycle" my suspension by pulling a coil spring, removing the bump stop and extension, bolting the shock back on and jacking up the suspension to see when the tire will actually rub on something? Then measure to see how much bump stop I really need? Same on the rear?

WJCO

Meme King
You can remove the springs but you don't have to. Cycling your axle with springs out is easier. Also, the rubber compresses at full bump, so measure between the two piece of metal excluding the rubber itself. Basically with your tire nearly touching the fender, your bump stop metal pieces should be touching or close to touching provided your shock isn't bottoming out. If your shock bottoms out, you should set your full bump just before that and not worry about where your tire is at. Hope that makes sense. And if you disconnect your sway bar while offroading, these bump stop settings at home should be done with the sway bar disconnected.

Top Bottom