Aligning upper control arm bolt holes on axle

KJS_JK

Just joined, but have been relying on the great info and knowledge from the forum for quite awhile. I need some "been there, done that" advice. I have the TF 8-arm 3" lift on Rubicon Hard Rock Unlimited. I'm in the process of adjusting the upper control arms to provide more positive caster, and started with the passenger side arm. I removed and shortened the arm, but now cannot get the axle bracket bolt holes to align to reinstall the arm. I've searched other posts for solutions and have tried ratchet straps and putting a jack under the joint. I can get it close but no cigar. I'm currently flying solo on this one so don't have anyone to push/pull the tire. Questions:

1. Do I need to unbolt the track bar when trying to push/pull the axle back?

2. When I'm able to recruit my son to assist, should the Jeep be in Neutral while trying the push/pull on the tire?

3. Do I need to remove the lower control arm and then install the upper?

4. Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just joined, but have been relying on the great info and knowledge from the forum for quite awhile. I need some "been there, done that" advice. I have the TF 8-arm 3" lift on Rubicon Hard Rock Unlimited. I'm in the process of adjusting the upper control arms to provide more positive caster, and started with the passenger side arm. I removed and shortened the arm, but now cannot get the axle bracket bolt holes to align to reinstall the arm. I've searched other posts for solutions and have tried ratchet straps and putting a jack under the joint. I can get it close but no cigar. I'm currently flying solo on this one so don't have anyone to push/pull the tire. Questions:

2. When I'm able to recruit my son to assist, should the Jeep be in Neutral while trying the push/pull on the tire?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to WAL :standing wave:

1. No

2. Doesnt matter as long as the jeep is in 2wd. you are working on the front. :yup:

3. No

4. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...nt-End-Alignment&p=42391&viewfull=1#post42391

:thumb: you got this bud, just follow the write up. Paying close attention to:
2016-11-07 07_35_32-Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment.jpg

KJS_JK

Appreciate the welcome and the support! Wayolife's write-up has been my guideline for the caster adjustment.

The jack under the joint is not rotating the diff enough to get the bolt lined up. For those that have used the ratchet strap method, how many straps did you use and at what positions? I now have one strap around the axle close to the bracket and then looped back around the trans skid bar. No dice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate the welcome and the support! Wayolife's write-up has been my guideline for the caster adjustment.

The jack under the joint is not rotating the diff enough to get the bolt lined up. For those that have used the ratchet strap method, how many straps did you use and at what positions? I now have one strap around the axle close to the bracket and then looped back around the trans skid bar. No dice.

Are you sure you have your control arm the correct length? It really shouldn't take that much force to get your holes to line up and a jack should be all you need to do it. If more force is needed, you're going to have things in bind.

Thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure that you have to do both uppers at the same time. Especially if the change you are making is significant. You can't rotate just one end of the axle.

Also, for safety sake, make sure that you have jack stands under the frame in front. The weight of the Jeep is resting on the components that you are disconnecting.

Last edited:

KJS_JK

Are you sure you have your control arm the correct length? It really shouldn't take that much force to get your holes to line up and a jack should be all you need to do it. If more force is needed, you're going to have things in bind.

Upper (that I just adjusted): 19 7/8 eye to eye.

Lower on that same side: 23 3/8.

And, assuming I'm able to get this bolt back in, I'm not sure that it will be enough to bring the caster correct. Caster measured 2.5* to start. I began this adjustment because the spring was rubbing the sway bar, and then I found the caster issue. The lift is a recent install by a local shop. After seeing the rubbing spring, low caster and some other odd things, my trust in that shop has been depleted.

Anything else I might look for? Could the difficulty be a symptom of the shop torquing bolts before putting wheels on the ground? If so, what can I do?

Thanks again for the support.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

KJS_JK

Factory lower control arms measure 22-5/8″. You have to remember that your lower control arms are like the hypotenuse of a triangle and even with a 4" lift, the amount of correction needed will be minimal. I personally would recommend that you set them closer to 23" at most and then start from there.

This write-up should help you out if you haven't already seen it:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Thanks. It's a great write-up, and where I started. So:

1. Can I do all of this with wheels on the ground, or should I put the front on stands?

2. In terms of order. Take off the lower on the same side I've removed the upper. Adjust the lower and reinstall. Then reinstall upper I'm having issues with. Then do the same for driver's side. Recheck caster. Repeat if necessary. Correct?

Top Bottom