toe issue

srosario

could find the answer on search so have to post. sorry

after double checking alignment.
one minute i have negative toe other im good.
i take it right back to the alignment machine and the toe is correct, then i drive home park my car, and i have negative toe, plus the drive back was flighty.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

Ball joints, unit bearings or tie rod ends could be bad. Any of these could cause problems like this. Last time my unit bearings went out my toe was all over the place. Every time I drove it and pulled a tape measure across it was different.

WJCO

Meme King
Make sure adjuster sleeves are tight too and open end of clamps align with seams. You can easily check for worn tie rod ends by having a helper turn wheel back and forth while you watch joints. Check bearings by jacking up each wheel, grabbing it at 12 and 6 o'clock and seeing if it has play.

srosario

thanks guys, had no idea what the unit bearing was, but googled it, not that expensive, how hard would it be to replace.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
thanks guys, had no idea what the unit bearing was, but googled it, not that expensive, how hard would it be to replace.

I would jack up each front wheel and check it first. It's more work than you'll want to do if it's not failed. But it's not that hard unless there is a lot of rust/corrosion around it. Soak the bolts overnight in penetrating oil. Basically you pull your brakes off (including caliper bracket and rotor), then your big axle nut, then the 3 bolts on the back of the knuckle that secure the bearing to the knuckle. Sometimes it takes a slide hammer or a lot of force to separate it though. Here's a link:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?19332-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Unit-Bearing-Replacement-Write-Up

WJCO

Meme King
just inspected, and ball joints have play in them, enough to make a sound,
dont want to spend the money on the dynatrac, what the second best?

Most of the others are about the same. If you can find Mopar ones cheap enough, go for it, otherwise I hear Crown is comparable. If you're going to keep the Jeep though and don't have any plans to upgrade the axle, I hear the ProSteers are damn good ball joints. With the amount of work involved, it would be worth the extra money IMO.

Cozdude can tell you about having to re-do the job multiple times, see next post below.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
just inspected, and ball joints have play in them, enough to make a sound,
dont want to spend the money on the dynatrac, what the second best?

Honestly just buck up and put the money towards the prosteers, you will not regret it. If you ever get a pr44 you can order it without all joints and move the prosteers over to it

hhunter050

Honestly just buck up and put the money towards the prosteers, you will not regret it. If you ever get a pr44 you can order it without all joints and move the prosteers over to it
What makes prosteers so much better? I'm about to buy BJs and am just wondering why they are the best choice.

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What makes prosteers so much better? I'm about to buy BJs and am just wondering why they are the best choice.

Well for one they are the only rebuildable ones on the market. Also I have never really heard of them needing to be rebuilt.

From a personal feel these are the best feeling inces I have drove on as well. The last 3 sets wore out in about 10k miles and none of them felt "tight" even after a fresh install. The prosteers after 6k miles feel like new still and I can imagine they will continue to feel that way if I keep them well greased

hhunter050

Well for one they are the only rebuildable ones on the market. Also I have never really heard of them needing to be rebuilt.

From a personal feel these are the best feeling inces I have drove on as well. The last 3 sets wore out in about 10k miles and none of them felt "tight" even after a fresh install. The prosteers after 6k miles feel like new still and I can imagine they will continue to feel that way if I keep them well greased
I've never had a new set of BJs so I wouldn't know what a good set feels like. Surprisingly I still have my stock BJs with 130k miles on them. Thank you for your input, I had my mind set on prosteers for a while just because I know if it's got that dynatrac name behind it, it has to be the best.

srosario

thanks guys, i decided to do the cheapest and do it with a buddy, if they ho out quicker then expected ill do the prosteers. lets see if it fixes my toe.

Along with what Cozdude said, another advantage of our Heavy Duty ball joints is you don't have to press the ball joint housings out of and back into the C if they ever need servicing. This means you're not wearing on the C and creating another problem later, like if you installed a typical ball joint and had to replace it. That's why other brands sell a knurled version that makes up for this wear when replacement is needed. Eventually, you wear out the C if you're pressing the ball joints in and out too often. And our ball joints basically pay for themselves, either that you won't have to service your ball joints ever again outside of re-greasing them occasionally, or if they do need full service/rebuild, the cost of the rebuild kit is far less than a replacement set of ball joints, and you save time and money on the servicing because you don't have to press the whole ball joint out of the C to do the job.

JKbrick

Along with what Cozdude said, another advantage of our Heavy Duty ball joints is you don't have to press the ball joint housings out of and back into the C if they ever need servicing. This means you're not wearing on the C and creating another problem later, like if you installed a typical ball joint and had to replace it. That's why other brands sell a knurled version that makes up for this wear when replacement is needed. Eventually, you wear out the C if you're pressing the ball joints in and out too often. And our ball joints basically pay for themselves, either that you won't have to service your ball joints ever again outside of re-greasing them occasionally, or if they do need full service/rebuild, the cost of the rebuild kit is far less than a replacement set of ball joints, and you save time and money on the servicing because you don't have to press the whole ball joint out of the C to do the job.

I am installing a set of Pro Steers and I purchased them used on here a couple years ago. Any way to look for wear before I get it all back together and still have death wobble?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am installing a set of Pro Steers and I purchased them used on here a couple years ago. Any way to look for wear before I get it all back together and still have death wobble?

To really check for wear you'd need to pull them apart. How many miles are on them? Do you know how the previous owner drove on them? If you pull them apart you'll need to go ahead and replace the seals to be safe.

JKbrick

To really check for wear you'd need to pull them apart. How many miles are on them? Do you know how the previous owner drove on them? If you pull them apart you'll need to go ahead and replace the seals to be safe.

I honestly can't remember how many miles he said, don't even remember who it was honestly. I'll get on your site and look at seals. Thank you

I honestly can't remember how many miles he said, don't even remember who it was honestly. I'll get on your site and look at seals. Thank you

We don't list just the seals on our website, you'll need to give our techs a call at 714-421-4314. Here's a link to the ball joint page, it's got a great video on it that you can see how they disassemble and then reassemble along with rebuilding them.

https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints.html

Top Bottom