No throttle response on steep hill

MF3R

Just bought my jeep a couple weeks ago...2014 JKU 32k miles with auto trans. It has a MOPAR 2" lift with 265/70-17 tires. So heres what happened. Climbing a fairly steep, short hill, the throttle just cut out....my foot was on the gas but there was literally no response...my jeep just stopped in its tracks right in the middle of the climb, RPM's were at roughly 800 when i looked at the tach so it didnt stall or anything....meanwhile my foot is still on the throttle, i hit the gas a few times but there was zero response...after a couple seconds it responded. When it finally responded it felt like it banged into gear and started going again. It did that a couple times that day. Same scenario, i'd be climbing and it would just stop, like someone reached over and turned it off :hmm: has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on what is going on?

Kalums

That's pretty crazy, if you have a code reader ide check for stored dtcs, if no codes I would definitely check all fluid levels and reset comp by disconnecting batt over night. If you have an auto you can also electronically downshift it by just pushing the stick to the left while in gear (ide let of the gas first, personally) but overall that is kinda strange.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

sblackf1

If its not producing a CEL then I have a few thoughts you can look into:
1.) check your transmission fluid condition and level. On an angle, it might cause that issue. (I'v had that issue on older automatics that didn't respond well to lower fluid levels. Not sure if it applies to these transmissions but worth a check).
2.) fuel filter almost clogged perhaps? As you throttle down the clog can get worse. Although I thought modern fuel filters don't have that problem anymore.
3.) When I had a TJ, I had a fuel pressure regulator problem that behaved in a similar way. Not sure how you would test or verify that.
Thought of one more:
4.) Any other symptoms that might add to narrowing down a solution? ei overheating (or rising temperature)?, smoking?, smells? noises?

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Just bought my jeep a couple weeks ago...2014 JKU 32k miles with auto trans. It has a MOPAR 2" lift with 265/70-17 tires. So heres what happened. Climbing a fairly steep, short hill, the throttle just cut out....my foot was on the gas but there was literally no response...my jeep just stopped in its tracks right in the middle of the climb, RPM's were at roughly 800 when i looked at the tach so it didnt stall or anything....meanwhile my foot is still on the throttle, i hit the gas a few times but there was zero response...after a couple seconds it responded. When it finally responded it felt like it banged into gear and started going again. It did that a couple times that day. Same scenario, i'd be climbing and it would just stop, like someone reached over and turned it off :hmm: has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on what is going on?

what's been recommended + do you have an aftermarket tune on the Jeep? Do you know any of the Jeep's previous owner add-ons?

If the ECU was not flashed for the current tires/gear ratio the Jeep would shut down like that to protect the transmission.

have you confirmed what the stock tire size and axle gear ratio? you may have to buy a tuner or take it to a dealer to get the ECU flashed for the current tire size once you confirm the OEM tire size/ axle gear ratio

Stock tire size for a 2014 varies JKU Sport = P255/75R17 or P225/75R16, JKU Sahara = P255/70R18

you can look up/request a build sheet from here, it will show you what the Jeep originally had on it:

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5MzY0MzI4OC9zaWQvWGxOMmc2T2w=

MF3R

what's been recommended + do you have an aftermarket tune on the Jeep? Do you know any of the Jeep's previous owner add-ons?

If the ECU was not flashed for the current tires/gear ratio the Jeep would shut down like that to protect the transmission.

have you confirmed what the stock tire size and axle gear ratio? you may have to buy a tuner or take it to a dealer to get the ECU flashed for the current tire size once you confirm the OEM tire size/ axle gear ratio

Stock tire size for a 2014 varies JKU Sport = P255/75R17 or P225/75R16, JKU Sahara = P255/70R18

you can look up/request a build sheet from here, it will show you what the Jeep originally had on it:

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5MzY0MzI4OC9zaWQvWGxOMmc2T2w=

not sure if it has a tune on it, although it does have a "superchips" sticker on the door jamb, Im really hoping the previous owner re-loaded the stock tune before he got rid of it. and yeah the stock tire size is 255/70-17 with 3.73 gears. also noticed signs of scraping on the upper spring mount like a wheel has been rubbing it...identical on both sides. the wheels and tires on it now seem like they were just thrown on to trade it in, so im thinking the previous owner kept or sold the old wheels and tires. need to plug her in and see if theres any codes

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
we get that over here on 2.8 Jk(u)s. It's an electronic limiter introduced by FCA to save the engine in case of a problem prone situation (injectors crapping out, to much power on cold engine end other doodads)
It could also come from the skinny pedal mechanism that needs cleaning out.
It also,as suggested, comes from a tune or pedal box and other electronc throttle enhancers.....

jango

Happens to me every once in a while. I just put my auto into 1st gear and it solves it. I feel like its the jeep wanting to think about changing gears then just not putting you in any gear causing it to basically just end up idling.

MF3R

Happens to me every once in a while. I just put my auto into 1st gear and it solves it. I feel like its the jeep wanting to think about changing gears then just not putting you in any gear causing it to basically just end up idling.

yeah now that you mention that that's exactly what it feels like, like it just went into neutral....I wonder if that's why it feels like it bangs into gear when it decides to go again

sblackf1

yeah now that you mention that that's exactly what it feels like, like it just went into neutral....I wonder if that's why it feels like it bangs into gear when it decides to go again

Bad or failing torque converter?

SPOOOBY

Is traction control disengaged, if traction control is on can cause similar problem,i hate traction control

If your not living and having fun,your dead already

MF3R

Is traction control disengaged, if traction control is on can cause similar problem,i hate traction control

If your not living and having fun,your dead already

hmmm actually it wasn't turned off...gonna try that next time, same hill same spot and try and duplicate it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MF3R

Shifting into 4Lo will also disengage traction control, and should help out climbing that hill

it was in 4LO and yeah I was in the dirt....Im not sure if 4lo will automatically disengage trac control, I know it'll disengage ESC in 4LO

Top Bottom