Overheating issue/Lesson learned/Question still

Ddays

Hooked
So over the weekend I ran into an overheating issue that ended up cutting my trip to Rausch Creek short. The problem started just as I was turning into the parking lot - my hi-temp light & chime went off. With Cozdude's help & Scull20 lending me some coolant, we found the fan not working and a pinhole in the thermostat housing. I could run for short periods and then would have to stop and let the Jeep cool down. Decided to throw in the towel instead of holding everyone else up and head for home during daylight hours.

Once on the highway the temp would slowly rise when going up long hills and get over the 3/4 mark unless I ran the heater full blast hot. With the heater on like that it was fine. So I took it to the dealership and was diagnosed with a wiring issue. This is annoying and embarrassing as hell, but the fan wire was hooked up backwards. See photo below (Don't laugh at my battery connections - I ordered new terminals today)

Battery.jpg

Now, it was my fault the wire was hooked up wrong because I just installed my new battery the day before I left. But looking at that photo, who wouldn't hook the damn BLACK wire up to the NEGATIVE battery post? This is the photo AFTER the issue was corrected. The BLACK wire the yellow wire points at goes to the POSITIVE terminal. :thinking: Stupid ass lesson learned and hopefully everyone else pays better attention than I did - maybe you'll remember to double check after reading this.

So after all that I still have a question: Why was the Jeep running hot on the highway at 65-70mph? At those speeds the fan not working shouldn't have been an issue, right? The fan shouldn't even turn on at those speeds I would think. I drove it to work today in stop & go traffic and at sustained 70mph. No issues. Does the fan wiring have a sensor that does something that would cause it to run hot at speed? Or could the pinhole in the thermostat housing have caused the system to run un-pressurized causing the higher temps?

WJCO

Meme King
My guess is with the fan motor running backwards, the cooling system was somehow fighting itself. The shroud really creates a good seal for air to move through when fan is working properly. Thanks for sharing, that's an easy mistake to make. And be thankful you got a good tech at the dealer. Sadly I think a lot of techs would have missed that.

Ddays

Hooked
Well the fan really wasn't running backwards. Actually it wouldn't run at all because it wasn't getting power. I hear ya on the tech but the same guy missed the pinhole in the thermostat housing....

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Well the fan really wasn't running backwards. Actually it wouldn't run at all because it wasn't getting power. I hear ya on the tech but the same guy missed the pinhole in the thermostat housing....

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

I thought you guys said in the rausch Creek thread that it was running.

... this statement is just ridiculous.

OK. You explain it to him then. I took an educated guess at the question he asked.

Ddays

Hooked
I thought you guys said in the rausch Creek thread that it was running.

No, we noticed that it wasn't right away.

OK. You explain it to him then. I took an educated guess at the question he asked.

I'm all ears guys!

WJCO

Meme King
I just re-read the RC thread. I missed that the fan wasn't coming on. Still makes no sense, at highway speeds the vehicle shouldn't have been overheating.

But if indeed it had been hooked up in reverse polarity, yes it would overheat, I have seen this many times when it runs backwards, especially when someone hooks up an aftermarket fan wrong.

As far as the leak, from my own experience with systems that require bleeding, I haven't seen them overheat from a leak until the coolant gets too low. So I would say no. The cooling system pressurizes more from the inside outward rather than sucking in air from the outside.

benatc1

Hooked
must be your winch was blocking all of your air flow [emoji23] [emoji23] .. sorry, don't have much to add other than that- glad it appears to be fixed tho!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, its got me puzzled. Its running fine now but I really hate not knowing why something happened. Especially when it doesn't make sense.

I can see how a fan running backwards at low speeds would cause overheating. Also odd that these fans are wired directly to the battery too.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, its got me puzzled. Its running fine now but I really hate not knowing why something happened. Especially when it doesn't make sense.

I can see how a fan running backwards at low speeds would cause overheating. Also odd that these fans are wired directly to the battery too.

Puzzling for sure. When my fan clutch went out, it only acted up on long mountain grades, no other times.

And most vehicles do not run the fan directly to the battery. Did he say that wire was strictly for the fan or just a main positive wire that also had the fan circuit within it along with other circuits?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So over the weekend I ran into an overheating issue that ended up cutting my trip to Rausch Creek short. The problem started just as I was turning into the parking lot - my hi-temp light & chime went off. With Cozdude's help & Scull20 lending me some coolant, we found the fan not working and a pinhole in the thermostat housing. I could run for short periods and then would have to stop and let the Jeep cool down. Decided to throw in the towel instead of holding everyone else up and head for home during daylight hours.

Once on the highway the temp would slowly rise when going up long hills and get over the 3/4 mark unless I ran the heater full blast hot. With the heater on like that it was fine. So I took it to the dealership and was diagnosed with a wiring issue. This is annoying and embarrassing as hell, but the fan wire was hooked up backwards. See photo below (Don't laugh at my battery connections - I ordered new terminals today)

View attachment 230286

Now, it was my fault the wire was hooked up wrong because I just installed my new battery the day before I left. But looking at that photo, who wouldn't hook the damn BLACK wire up to the NEGATIVE battery post? This is the photo AFTER the issue was corrected. The BLACK wire the yellow wire points at goes to the POSITIVE terminal. :thinking: Stupid ass lesson learned and hopefully everyone else pays better attention than I did - maybe you'll remember to double check after reading this.

So after all that I still have a question: Why was the Jeep running hot on the highway at 65-70mph? At those speeds the fan not working shouldn't have been an issue, right? The fan shouldn't even turn on at those speeds I would think. I drove it to work today in stop & go traffic and at sustained 70mph. No issues. Does the fan wiring have a sensor that does something that would cause it to run hot at speed? Or could the pinhole in the thermostat housing have caused the system to run un-pressurized causing the higher temps?

Well that makes total sense lol!!! The pcm would ground the whole circuit so you just not giving it power would make sense.

As far as it still overheating on the highway I can see it not allowing power to the coolant temp sensor or the like maybe causing the issue. Also the pin hole would possibly effect it not creating enough pressure to allow the thermostat to open. In the end could be any combination of those things

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
And most vehicles do not run the fan directly to the battery. Did he say that wire was strictly for the fan or just a main positive wire that also had the fan circuit within it along with other circuits?

I asked but got a non-answer. The service tech didn't know and he already had to walk back to talk to the mechanic to ask him questions twice because I kept asking, "but why?" He wanted to get off the phone with me. I'm going to stop over and talk to the mechanic Saturday.

Well that makes total sense lol!!! The pcm would ground the whole circuit so you just not giving it power would make sense.

As far as it still overheating on the highway I can see it not allowing power to the coolant temp sensor or the like maybe causing the issue. Also the pin hole would possibly effect it not creating enough pressure to allow the thermostat to open. In the end could be any combination of those things

Yeah, I felt like a fucking moron when he told me about the wire. And that makes sense what you explained above. I'm gonna order a spare thermostat housing Saturday for my goodie bag...can't wait to see how much that piece of plastic is gonna cost...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I asked but got a non-answer. The service tech didn't know and he already had to walk back to talk to the mechanic to ask him questions twice because I kept asking, "but why?" He wanted to get off the phone with me. I'm going to stop over and talk to the mechanic Saturday.

Yeah, I felt like a fucking moron when he told me about the wire. And that makes sense what you explained above. I'm gonna order a spare thermostat housing Saturday for my goodie bag...can't wait to see how much that piece of plastic is gonna cost...

For you, $1 ;)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I spoke with my teacher about your issue. He mentioned that the reason you could have been overheating still on the highway if you had the heater off is that the heater core wasn't helping to pull heat off the motor/radiator since it's all interconnected. Also the small pin hole could be cause a large enough air pocket not allowing the thermostat to work properly. He said replace the housing and the thermostat just to be safe and you should be good to go now

tdougherty81

Same thing happen to me when my fan motor was clogged with silt. Driving back on the freeway at 70 mph it was overheating. I was able to limp back home and wash it out. I thought for sure at freeway speed I would be good.

Ddays

Hooked
So I spoke with my teacher about your issue. He mentioned that the reason you could have been overheating still on the highway if you had the heater off is that the heater core wasn't helping to pull heat off the motor/radiator since it's all interconnected. Also the small pin hole could be cause a large enough air pocket not allowing the thermostat to work properly. He said replace the housing and the thermostat just to be safe and you should be good to go now

That's great info - thanks for asking Steve!

Same thing happen to me when my fan motor was clogged with silt. Driving back on the freeway at 70 mph it was overheating. I was able to limp back home and wash it out. I thought for sure at freeway speed I would be good.

Odd isn't it? That was a tense drive until I did the Heater fan trick :shock:

scull20

Beat me to it.

Jerry, in the meantime...when the jeep is cool, pop off the rad cap and see if you need to add fluid. Squeeze the top rad hose (gently) to try to burp out any air...if any.

Also, the housing has the thermostat built-in.

P.S. I heard those shitty Truck-Lites put off too much heat too. I've got a graph somewhere...

Top Bottom