My JK whistle at me sometimes

Will be heading to the dealer on this, but thought I would reach out here for advice and knowledge before I step foot in the service dept.

2016 JKR, auto, 2.5" lift, bumpers, 35" Mickeys, since new, currently 10,000KMs

When the motor is at operating temperature I get what sounds like a second whistle as I slow down at about 10 Km per hour....the it stops when jeep stops.

Sometimes I hear it when I press on the gas from a stop.

Hear it everytime I put the jeep in park and power it down.

It's not brake related, rotational related, and does not do it cold.

Air Intake, vaccume? I have no idea, any thoughts?

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
Will be heading to the dealer on this, but thought I would reach out here for advice and knowledge before I step foot in the service dept.

2016 JKR, auto, 2.5" lift, bumpers, 35" Mickeys, since new, currently 10,000KMs

When the motor is at operating temperature I get what sounds like a second whistle as I slow down at about 10 Km per hour....the it stops when jeep stops.

Sometimes I hear it when I press on the gas from a stop.

Hear it everytime I put the jeep in park and power it down.

It's not brake related, rotational related, and does not do it cold.

Air Intake, vaccume? I have no idea, any thoughts?

Thanks

Sounds like some kind of vacuum leak. Sometimes evap components make weird sounds when they open and close too when they aren't working properly.

daltexjeeper

My 2013 JKUR had a whistle under the same conditions you mentioned. It was the water pump. It was replaced under warranty. Not saying this is your issue, but food for thought. You can YouTube some videos of whistling water pumps on JKs and see if it sounds similar to yours. Either way hopefully dealer can fix it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks....

I'm going to take a look today, see if anything is obvious to me.

Odd...no issues with drivability, no codes thrown, no leaks noted.

Whistle is not there during normal pace driving....just at 10KM per hour as I slow down in traffic to a stop....and and I shut it down.

Equal parts odd and somewhat annoying....particularly in a parking lot

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks....

I'm going to take a look today, see if anything is obvious to me.

Odd...no issues with drivability, no codes thrown, no leaks noted.

Whistle is not there during normal pace driving....just at 10KM per hour as I slow down in traffic to a stop....and and I shut it down.

Equal parts odd and somewhat annoying....particularly in a parking lot

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

Check brake booster too.

After some more inter web searching I found similar folks who reported the sound as a Owl Hoot.

I will be dam, that what it sounded like to me too.

At first the Jeep tech could not hear it (great here we go) i went on a second drive with him and got the hoot when we shut the Jeep off.

Have to give the tech credit, he did not push me off, he took the time to get to the bottom of this, called other tech's for advice, also called their 'hot line to engineering'

After 45 min or so, I was told there are a number of cases with the same symptom, the sound was coming from the valve body in the transmission.

Dealer ordered a new one (valve body), Jeep was back in next day, all swapped out under warranty.

So far so good, looks like this has solved two issues:

1 - The JK Auto Owl Hoot
2 - My original concern with a harsh shift from 3-2 in coast mode.

Both seen to be gone, nice, now to put some KM's on to be 110% sure.

Hope this helps others if you year a Owl in your Jeep.

Top Bottom