ABS breaks pumping in 1st gear.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I know the abs/traction light issue has been discussed on here many times, but this issue is different. Like others my abs/traction lights would come on ( mostly while wheeling). But after my last trip out they wouldn't turn off and my abs breaks would pump while starting off in first gear. I scanned it with my tuner and got U1417. I chose to have my mechanic fix the problem for me because I didn't want to fuck it up worst. He said he pin pointed it to the right rear wheel speed sensor. He fixed it and everything was cleared and go to go. I picked it up on Friday and today the abs pumping is back but light aren't coming on. Just the traction light when it happens then turns off. Anyone ever have this happen? And what was the remedy? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you say it's "pumping", are you saying that it's still applying braking? If so, the light will not always turn on when this occurs. Are you sure your steering wheel is centered?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I know the abs/traction light issue has been discussed on here many times, but this issue is different. Like others my abs/traction lights would come on ( mostly while wheeling). But after my last trip out they wouldn't turn off and my abs breaks would pump while starting off in first gear. I scanned it with my tuner and got U1417. I chose to have my mechanic fix the problem for me because I didn't want to fuck it up worst. He said he pin pointed it to the right rear wheel speed sensor. He fixed it and everything was cleared and go to go. I picked it up on Friday and today the abs pumping is back but light aren't coming on. Just the traction light when it happens then turns off. Anyone ever have this happen? And what was the remedy? Thanks.

He prob didn't clear the hard codes set in the system. They can still be present even with the lights off.

Also is your steering wheel straight?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Steering wheel is straight.

Not to belabor the point but, are you 100% sure? If it's even a bit off, your Jeep will think you're in a slide and that's what will get the ESP system to kick in. Being that you had your speed sensor replaced, it's the only other thing I can think of. Either that or it is possible you have a chaffed wire and it's grounding out on something. I've seen that happen too.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Not to belabor the point but, are you 100% sure? If it's even a bit off, your Jeep will think you're in a slide and that's what will get the ESP system to kick in. Being that you had your speed sensor replaced, it's the only other thing I can think of. Either that or it is possible you have a chaffed wire and it's grounding out on something. I've seen that happen too.

You mean like mine that rubbed thru on my way out to Moab with you guys lol

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
You mean like mine that rubbed thru on my way out to Moab with you guys lol

Were your abs pumping on you when that happen?

Put it to you this way. It looks straight to me but of course I could be wrong. I'll have him check that too. Thanks.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Not to get off subject but while he was working on it I had him change my diff fluids. This is what he found in the rear. Picture is blurry but look close.
IMG_1479140925.459354.jpg

He said the spider gears are chipped and fluid was grey. Awesome! Guess it's time to regear and maybe a locker.

WJCO

Meme King
Not to get off subject but while he was working on it I had him change my diff fluids. This is what he found in the rear. Picture is blurry but look close.
View attachment 230902

He said the spider gears are chipped and fluid was grey. Awesome! Guess it's time to regear and maybe a locker.

While I won't say it's normal to have chipped spider gear teeth, it's not too uncommon. Perfect time for an upgrade :thumb:

sparks

If it's the same issue, I had similar with another vehicle. It sounds like you hit the brakes on some snow and you can hear the brakes doing their thing. I was able to replicate at slow speed by jerking the wheel left and right. Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Bump: Problem solved with the ABS issue. Right rear speed sensor was completely shot. When I took it to my mechanic the first time he cleaned them out of the dirt and water and said they were fine. Turns out they weren't fine. Easy fix and now everything is back to normal.

Top Bottom