4 link or 3 link

munstie

I am looking at possibly putting a three link setup on my Jeep, or would a four link setup be better. My Jeep is a DD so road manners would be a factor as well.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are no true 3-link setups available for the rear of a JK without requiring you to remove your factory gas tank and relocate it to the back. Unless you trailer your Jeep, I would not recommend it. There are 3 link setups up front available but, they are essentially a 4-link kit minus one upper control arm. While there are some advantages to it, I prefer the added strength and redundancy of just a normal 4-link setup. If you're going for the kind of big flex EVO coil overs will give you, I would recommend getting the EVO long arm kit as it comes with arms and joints made for big flex. That, or modify what you have or another kit to use johnny joints on both ends of the arms.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

TheDuff

Ok, thanks for helping me understand better:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

munstie

Looks like I will be switching front and rear over from the radius arms to a 4 link long arm set-up.

Are the Rock Krawler 3 link kits considered true 3-links? I've seen some crazy flex out of those and have heard nothing but good things about RK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are the Rock Krawler 3 link kits considered true 3-links? I've seen some crazy flex out of those and have heard nothing but good things about RK

Not exactly as they still retain the use of track bars. Also, the amount of flex you have is for the most part determined by the length of your shocks. A true 3 links can help this along by offering less bind but, it'll still be limited by the shocks it runs.

munstie

Not exactly as they still retain the use of track bars. Also, the amount of flex you have is for the most part determined by the length of your shocks. A true 3 links can help this along by offering less bind but, it'll still be limited by the shocks it runs.

So will the three link setups like the one from rockcrawler give more articulation than a longarm four link setup or is it more of a gimmick

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So will the three link setups like the one from rockcrawler give more articulation than a longarm four link setup or is it more of a gimmick

No. I wouldn't say it's a gimmick per se but, you can only have as much flex as your shocks will allow and depending in what kit you're comparing it to, it may or may not have a greater amount of flex. Does that make sense?

munstie

No. I wouldn't say it's a gimmick per se but, you can only have as much flex as your shocks will allow and depending in what kit you're comparing it to, it may or may not have a greater amount of flex. Does that make sense?[/QUOTE
Yes it does, I've tried to find more information on some of the kits to try and do some comparisons, but I'm not really having any luck so far.

Top Bottom